Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Diet Tweak Help? page

Mclean020 is offline Junior Member

Paleo Diet Tweak Help?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi people of Marksdailyapple

I just found out about Paleo two days ago and i started yesterday, i was just wondering how much of an impact keeping my daily bowl of fruit & fiber and Milk would effect my goal of Paleo Weight loss, also on the Paleo diet are you meant to get into ketosis or do you still lose weight either way. Oh yeah isit bad to eat meat like fried bacon and fried sausages?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mclean. Welcome.

Sorry, the bowl of fruit & fiber should be one of the first things to go. Milk is fine if you can digest it. But it may slow weight loss. Grain fiber isn't what it's cracked up to be. Get your fiber from veg. Grains may have lots of nutrients in them but your body isn't designed to extract them. In fact, they keep your body from using other nutrients.

You don't have to go into ketosis. Roughly 50-100 grams of carb per day should lead to weight loss. Ketosis isn't bad but this isn't Atikins.

Many here love and eat lots of bacon, particularly when they are starting out. Traditional, whole hog sausage, without chemicals, soy and other fillers, is great. Just be careful about what's in it. You probably should focus on unprocessed meats.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 08-22-2011 at 09:24 AM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mclean020 View Post
    Hi people of Marksdailyapple

I just found out about Paleo two days ago and i started yesterday, i was just wondering how much of an impact keeping my daily bowl of fruit & fiber and Milk would effect my goal of Paleo Weight loss
    Maybe it wouldn't, but why do you specifically want to keep it? I mean at one time people would have said, "Bran is for horses!" and started laughing. The fact is people like Kellogs have found a way to sell something that previous generations of people—not people in the Paleolithic; our own grandparents and great-grandparents—would have thrown out.

If you can get a copy of Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories from the library and look up Dr. Burkitt in the index, you'll find a good account of how the "fibre solution" arose and why. More quickly, try this article

Out of Africa: What Dr. Price Dr. Burkitt Discovered in Their Studies of Sub-Saharan Tribes - Weston A Price Foundation

The long and short of it is that it was a wrong theory: Africans don't all eat masses of fibre. Lots of insoluble fibre isn't actually good for you, as it will remove minerals from your body by cheating them and taking them out, which is hardly desirable and will lead to a number of health problems. Perhaps worse, it can irritate the gut.

Suggest you swap the bran-and-dried-fruit product for fresh eggs/meat and fresh vegetables/fruit and the milk for plain live yoghurt.

... on the Paleo diet are you meant to get into ketosis or do you still lose weight either way. Oh yeah isit bad to eat meat like fried bacon and fried sausages?
    I think Cordain does describe the Paleo Diet as a low-carb diet in the original book The Paleo Diet. I doubt his "Paleo Diet" would put you in ketosis, however, because it's not particularly high-fat, and tends to be quite high—in fact, rather too high—in protein.

You can find Mark's take on what the appropriate level of carbohydrate for different purposes is in his Carbohydrate Curve, which is in the online Primal Blueprint 101 information:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

pdovers is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome. You have found an awesome online community here.

I discovered PB in June. Since then I have been tweaking it to suit my body and needs. I want to lose weight and I found through trial and error over the past 2 months that I have to limit my carbs to under 50 grams per day to have consistent weight loss. Mark says under 100 will do it but that didn't work for me. The first thing I did was eliminate all grains. Now I am seeing some weight loss with lots of amimal protein (beef, fish, poultry), fats (avocados, cream, butter), veggies, big salads and only one serving of fruit per day (not bananas!)

For me it has been a process.
    Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band

Thanks for all the reply's guys i really appreciate the support

I see, its a good thing i asked or the fruit and fibre would of been killing me off in silence, i wanted to keep the cereal mainly because its the easiest breakfast i can go about making - it seems like im gonna have to make the effort of making eggs or bacon in the morning instead. Im 15 btw and sometimes its hard to stick to this but i think it'll be worth it in the longshot im probably around 15-17& body fat 6'2 184lbs and i just want to get down low enough so that my abs and muscles show more. sorry one last question, say i havent really eaten enough in the day and ive had around 1200 calories can i eat a pack of nuts like cashews for an extra 1000 cal's

croí is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the reply's guys i really appreciate the support

I see, its a good thing i asked or the fruit and fibre would of been killing me off in silence, i wanted to keep the cereal mainly because its the easiest breakfast i can go about making - it seems like im gonna have to make the effort of making eggs or bacon in the morning instead. Im 15 btw and sometimes its hard to stick to this but i think it'll be worth it in the longshot im probably around 15-17& body fat 6'2 184lbs and i just want to get down low enough so that my abs and muscles show more. sorry one last question, say i havent really eaten enough in the day and ive had around 1200 calories can i eat a pack of nuts like cashews for an extra 1000 cal's
    Some people don't have time for breakfast, and actually opt to skip breakfast (like myself). You could also make the eggs/bacon the night before and just heat them up in the morning. Or you could have left overs from dinner the night before.

I don't recommend eating 1000 calories worth of nuts because they are very high in carbs, and may cause the weight loss to slow down or even gain. (It is possible to gain while eating Primal) Eat a couple more eggs, or 3 more ounces of protein and it will add up quickly.

Hope this helps.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    You could also make a bunch of hard-boiled eggs to keep in the fridge and just grab a couple for breakfast on the go. You might also want to try something like a spoonful of coconut oil to boost your calories, rather than nuts.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Oh ok i see thanks for clearing all of that up for me guys, yeah making it the night before sounds like a very good plan especially on my School nights. Ill definetley take coconut oil into consideration i was wondering about Fish oil the omega fish oils if you know what i mean, i remember my mum always used to force me to take at least a teaspoon when i was Younger as im allergic to fish (Bummer...) isit a good idea to add it into my primal diet?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Great replies guys. +1 to all.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Oh ok i see thanks for clearing all of that up for me guys, yeah making it the night before sounds like a very good plan especially on my School nights. Ill definetley take coconut oil into consideration i was wondering about Fish oil the omega fish oils if you know what i mean, i remember my mum always used to force me to take at least a teaspoon when i was Younger as im allergic to fish (Bummer...) isit a good idea to add it into my primal diet?
    Fish Oil is more to even out your Omega 6: Omega 3. They won't curve your hunger. If you looking for an oil to take to up the calories, and fat... coconut oil is what you're looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast