Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colonic irrigation...folly? page

amberlee is offline Senior Member

Talking Colonic irrigation...folly?

Shop Now
    Hello, I am off to a yoga retreat (not one of the vegan brain bashing ones, yay - yes, it was an issue) and I am looking at the spa menu and....colonic irrigation, hmmm.

I think I agree with Mark in (this is a gross oversimplification, sorry Mark) that our detoxing bits... detox and don't need extra help and our gut will do its stuff, there aren't any nasty little poisons shoved up there that refuse to come out..our guts are working. Most detox fads are fads.

I can see the appeal to the masses of the mindless assertion that "cleaning" the gut from the back end gets "rid of toxins", which ignores the way the bowel works and elimination generally.

So why am I tempted?

(please - no anal probing jokes!! Its not that...)

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    Not only is it pointless, it is downright dangerous. Most colonic 'experts' have no medical training whatsoever and they are not done under the supervision of a doctor and it is easy to puncture the wall of the colon.

Mayo Clinic

In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. The main concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

Increase your risk of dehydration
    Lead to bowel perforations
    Increase the risk of infection
    Cause a rise in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or heart disease

true. imagine the regret if you ended up with a colostomy after a procedure you knew was pointless...

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Yes, I'm at an age where I have a colonoscopy every 3 years, and I also have a 'sluggish' digestive system that requires a 'super-duper' cleansing process. I would never do this without medical supervision, and I can assure you that when I'm 'clean' the morning of the procedure, I'm also dehydrated and in no condition to function (reversed immediately after the procedure). To do anything like this apart from a medical procedure is, IMO, pure folly.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    You would also be cleaning out your good bacteria, which are already quite messed up by conventional diets, and hard to repopulate.

Emmie - you should read the info on gutsense.org. The guy does go overboard on some things but there is a bunch of really good info on his site.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Repressed daddy issues?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Repressed daddy issues?
    huh? I don't know what the hell your daddy did to you, but......

just no

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Well, I sat with my ex in the ER with dehydration after a couple of irrigations.
    No way in hell I'd do it, but YMMV.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    At some point you'll have to do it in prep for a colonoscopy, assuming you reach age 50. Why would you want to do it any sooner?
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast