Thread: hai there, from the UK page

skye is offline Junior Member

hai there, from the UK

Hi guys, really glad i found this site!

So I suspect I've had as much trouble finding answers to date as many people on this site.

I've always had an interest in science and nutrition but have found it impossible to find reliable answers. I'm not overweight, but interested in what we should be eating, given the high rates of western diseases and mental health. I've read many books trying to find answers, books that claim to be backed by scientific evidence, only to find no sources, or worse, to find statistics severly munipulated.

I even went vegan a year or so ago, I had read The China Study cover to cover. The book claims to be backed by scientific evidence and has an extensive bibliography. Upon further research it turns out that this book is written with an extreme agenda and shamfully munipulates data.

Ironically my time being vegan was the time I lost huge amounts of weight. I was training hard at the time, but because vegans tend to be health concious alot of recipes I followed cut carbs and sugar, so weight loss was a side effect. I am no longer vegan or vegetarian, after 6 years, as much as I value ethical practices I no longer vegetarian as i find it a limiting lifestyle.

When my PT mentioned the paleo diet, I assumed it was another fad designed to make money. Eventually I did some research and things started to click into place and make sense. In particular I found Gary Taubes book very enlightening. Im glad that someone can point out that nutrition is one of the least understood areas of science and difficult to break through because of industry pressure/ bad gov advice. In addition there seems to be recent scientific research confirming the ideas - a few articles recently in New Scientist (A UK science magazine).

Anyway sorry for the long post, I have found the resources on this website very useful and want to say thanks . Also to anyone who has also been through the frustration of trying to find solid answers - hi!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Skye. Welcome!

I approached Primal with a very skeptical attitude, having so many fads come and go. I don't always agree with Mark but he always has reasonable information back by research.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.