Thread: PCOS and primal page

Hawaiigirl is offline Member

PCOS and primal

Primal Fuel
    I know there have been threads in the past on primal PCOSers but no recent ones. I want to know what others experiences are with being primal and having PCOS. Is there anything that you have found that works for you? Like avoiding or limiting certain things? What about IF? What carb intake has shown the most results, etc.??? Please share!! I am hoping that by being primal, my hormones will balance themselves out but it has been a while now.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    There are a few girls with PCOS in the Leptin-reset thread. geostump in particular comes to mind.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    i am in the same boat, hope this will balance out my hormones
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I also had PCOS and the symptoms of it are pretty much gone now.... I have regular periods, hormone levels are normal, am not so hairy anymore, and the acanthosis nigricans is greatly reduced. That said, a lot of how you respond to primal will depend on what 'type' of PCOS'er you are. I think most of us are the overweight insulin-resistant ones who have concurrent high testosterone and fasting insulin levels, without hypothyroidism, for whom Primal 1.0 will work excellently. By 'Primal 1.0' I mean that although a lot of people in the paleo world are ok with white rice and potatoes, I'm still not sure that they can ever become a regular part of my diet again, i.e. the glycemic index of foods still matters a lot for us, not just the 'fructose index.' I've heard from others that limiting dairy is also important because of its unusually insulinogenic response, and because most sources of dairy you will find have messed-up hormonal stuff going on... I'm not so sure about this because I was never a big dairy person, but it's worth trying out.

Also, although I'm still overweight, my health markers improved and hormones normalized when I was still technically in the 'obese' category. You only have to lose something like 10% of your bodyweight to see dramatic health improvements. At this point I want to lose more weight/fat for vanity reasons.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    My naturopath suspects I have PCOS but we haven't confirmed it yet. So far, my thyroid, testosterone, progesterone and estrogen tested normal before going primal, but I have the secondary characteristics, crazy heavy periods, acne, insulin resistance, and the hair loss is driving me batty. I'm due for a diurnal cortisol test next. I have noticed in the short time I've been primal that my skin is looking much better and my acne flareups have been greatly minimized, just a few pimples around TTOTM. I haven't used my Retin-A for over 2 months now and I think my crows feet have improved. I believe it is a combination of all the healthy fats and no dairy for me.

This is a good resource for women with PCOS: PCOS Message Board

I used to read it more often a few years ago when I was first diagnosed with PCOS, before I found paleo/MDA, but a quick look confirms that many of the women on that board are going primal/paleo (although there are the odd vegetarians/vegans)

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Soul Cysters is a good site for just learning about other women's experiences with PCOS, but don't expect a good response to any non-CW talk. Don't even expect to get away with it. I joined the site last month and made a few posts, but half of them are deleted. And no, I did not run in there shouting "grains are the devil! we need to eat like our ancestors! baconnnnn!". My posts weren't even suggestive of belonging to a low-carb (which I am not) or paleo camp.

And in general, I find that board to be way too accepting of birth control and using drug cocktails to get rid of symptoms. Not many people are terribly interested in how people develop PCOS or how they can restore their body to perfect health. It probably doesn't help that doctors and other women suffering with PCOS say that it's incurable.

Now for a super brief version of my story: I think I started developing PCOS when I was 14. So I probably had less than a year of normal puberty. Now I am 18 and all of the symptoms are the worst they have ever been and I'm the heaviest I've ever been, probably about 30 pounds overweight. Yesterday I started taking fermented cod liver oil, DIM, and vitex/chasteberry/chaste tree. In September I am going to begin using progesterone cream. Now I am in college, buying my own groceries, so my diet is now mostly whole and organic foods. I'd like to start a journal on MDA when I start the cream.

Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post
    Soul Cysters is a good site for just learning about other women's experiences with PCOS, but don't expect a good response to any non-CW talk. Don't even expect to get away with it. I joined the site last month and made a few posts, but half of them are deleted. And no, I did not run in there shouting "grains are the devil! we need to eat like our ancestors! baconnnnn!". My posts weren't even suggestive of belonging to a low-carb (which I am not) or paleo camp.

And in general, I find that board to be way too accepting of birth control and using drug cocktails to get rid of symptoms. Not many people are terribly interested in how people develop PCOS or how they can restore their body to perfect health. It probably doesn't help that doctors and other women suffering with PCOS say that it's incurable.

Now for a super brief version of my story: I think I started developing PCOS when I was 14. So I probably had less than a year of normal puberty. Now I am 18 and all of the symptoms are the worst they have ever been and I'm the heaviest I've ever been, probably about 30 pounds overweight. Yesterday I started taking fermented cod liver oil, DIM, and vitex/chasteberry/chaste tree. In September I am going to begin using progesterone cream. Now I am in college, buying my own groceries, so my diet is now mostly whole and organic foods. I'd like to start a journal on MDA when I start the cream.
    Ah, I only skimmed over some posts very briefly and haven't posted at all recently - it's too bad that they can't let go of the CW. But I wouldn't say PCOS is curable, although I would say that it is reversible. We will always have to be more careful with diet than 'normal' women would, because we are more sensitive to sugar and have a greater tendency to become insulin-resistant more quickly.

Looking back on it, I showed some symptoms of insulin resistance (namely acanthosis nigricans) even as a child, and I went through puberty early which is indicative of some weird hormonal stuff going on, and only had a menstrual cycle a few times a year for the first few years after menarche. I didn't get diagnosed until I was 18, and by then I was 65 pounds overweight. So the fact that you are aware of paleo/primal/MDA and are following at this age only sets you up for amazing success
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 08-24-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    If you are still suffering with PCOS, Endometriosis, Fibrocystic Breasts or cysts there is a great deal of hope.

THE number 1 cause for PCOS, Endometriosis, Fibrocystic Breasts AND the eventual cancers of these organs PLUS Prostate problems in men with resulting prostate cancers are ALL THE SAME ! Also hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, Graves Disease & Hashimotos. A nationwide severe iodine deficiency. Every cell in the human body requires iodine to be healthy, ESPECIALLY the reproductive organs and the Thyroid which is responsible for hormones.

What happened to all of that iodized salt??? What little iodine we have in our cells has been replaced by nasty toxins called Bromides, Fluorides & Chlorides. (Halide Chemicals) We live in a SEA of these toxins in our food, our drinking water, our toothpaste, hair coloring, everywhere! These toxins cripple our immune system so that it is not as effective killing virus, germs, candida, & cancer cells.

For the complete and horrible story see this link, Iodine References:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
    http://home.comcast.net/~jocy1/junk/...h%20Iodine.pdf
    Please pass these files on to friends & relatives. Send them out on Facebook & Twitter. Get the word out to everyone.

Symptoms from Iodine Deficiency
    (typically the same as hypothyroidism - Link )
    * Aches and pains, vague (1) * Asthma (13)
    * Brittle Nails (12) * Candida(4)
    * Cholesterol levels increased (1) * Cysts of skin, breast & ovaries (9)
    * Cold intolerance (cold hands & feet) (1) * Concentration decreased [brain fog] (1)
    * Constipation (1) * Depression (1)
    * Diabetes (4) * Dry, coarse hair (1)
    * Dry skin (1) * Dry Mouth
    * Dry Eyes * Excessive sleepiness (1)
    * Fatigue (1) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome * Fibromyalgia (4)
    * Fluid Retention (4) * Graves’ Disease (4)
    * Hair Loss (10) * Headaches (11)
    * Heart rate slowing (1) * Hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, Hashi’s (4, 9)
    * Immune system reduced function (4) * Insomnia (4)
    * Keloids (9) * Memory Poor (12)
    * Miscarriages & Low Baby IQ * Mental Retardation
    * Muscle Cramps, Pain (1,4) * Parotid duct stones.(12) * Puffiness around the eyes (1) * Stomach Problems
    * Sweating reduced or gone(1) * Swelling of the legs (edema) (1) * Temperature drop in body temp (1) * Thyroid cysts (Goiters) (2,3) * Weakness (12) * Weight gain (1)
    THERE ARE MUCH MORE - 181 Symptoms ! ! ! Consequences of Iodine Deficiency

Symptoms from SEVERE Iodine Deficiency
    * Migraine headaches (5,6) * Painful periods/heavy periods (5,6)
    * Pelvic pain (5,6) * PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) (5,6)
    * Endometriosis (5,6) * Fibroid Tumors (5,6)
    * Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) (5,6) * Breast pain (fibrocystic tissue) (5,6)
    * Cancers in female breasts & organs (5,6) * Lung Cancers (13)
    * Prostate problems including Cancer (7,8) * testicular cancer (7,8)
    * Thyroid Cancers * Erectile Dysfunction
    1) Iodine Deficiency | University of Michigan Health System
    (2) Thyroid Cyst Symptoms | eHow.com
    (3) Iodine Cures
    (4) Iodine Therapy
    (5) Iodine Deficiency and Estrogen Dominant Diseases - Jorge D. Flechas, MD - YouTube
    (6) Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
    (7) Cancer and Iodine - The Iodine Project
    (8) Iodine Deficiency - An Under-Recognized Epidemic
    (9) Dr. James Howenstine -- Iodine is Vital For Good Health
    (10) Iodine and Hair Loss: Is There A Connection? | Natural Health & Organic Living Blog
    (11) Dr. James Howenstine -- Iodine is Vital For Good Health
    (12) Iodine deficiency symptoms and benefits | Foods containing Iodine | Overdose Symptoms
    (13) Dr. David Derry Answers Reader Questions -- Asthma and Thyroid Hormones

Join us at our Iodine Thread if you have any questions:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post664343

Grizz

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Intermittent fasting, Atkins Fat Fast (briefly-3 days or so), walking, cold thermogenesis, progesterone cream, Lights Out- go to sleep before 9 pm as a general rule.
    *SATURATED FAT*