Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'needing' coffee and being a 'sugar burner'? page

Osa007 Guest

Primal Fuel

Anyone here visit the website or book, primal body-primal mind? It is good & informative...yet, she states that 'needing' coffee in the morning means you are a sugar burner. She also makes a heck of a nasty case against caffeine. something about hormones, and insulin, and being able to burn fat versus sugar, etc. Seemed extreme to say coffe=sugar burner.

I have a cup of strong coffee with cream every morning - I can do without but usually don't. I almost never have more during the course of the day.

How bad is coffee/caffeine? Any savy folks here willing to discuss it?

I'm prompted to post this by the Yerba thread - I've got it, but it ain't coffee, that's for sure.

And coffee apparently has great antioxidant protective qualities. Hmmm, not sure what to do. I want to take my health to the next level, but, not sure if abstaining from coffee is necessary. Am I being a delusional addict?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Osa,

I LOVE me some French Roast in the morning...never had a problem with it.

I don't think you're being delusional at all---there are lots of folks here who enjoy coffee.

Acmebike is offline Member

I've weened myself to decaf, and far less of that. I read Nora Gedgaudas' book "Primal Body, Primal Mind" and coffee seems like a good thing to eliminate from my intake.

Osa007 Guest

Acmebike - what convinced you?

On her 'quiz' on the website she goes into adrenal exhaustion (which is another issue - I heard a Doc say it's total quack nonsense) to cortisol. I don't know enough about caffeine & the human endocrine system to say...?

I will eliminate it if I can be convinced...

Osa007 Guest

She mentions caffeine as being a culprit in gluscose dysregualtion and then speaks of it within the context of cortisol spikes/cycles - these seem to be unsubstantiated blanket statements...or am I missing something?

Althaur is offline Senior Member

Coffee is a blessing.

At least, that's my opinion.

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Had an interesting experience with coffee. Started drinking it two weeks after our baby was born. Waking up every 2 hours during the night then having to work 9 hour days left me more tired than I could possibly imagine. One cup of coffee a day took that heaviness off my head. Still tired as a mofo, but the heaviness was gone.

Continued to drink coffee for six months even though our child started sleeping through the night consistently at around three months.

I really wish I had given it up sooner. After the intense withdrawal symptoms waned, I forgot what truly deep sleep felt like.

Coffee (or more accurately the caffeine) had a weird effect on me. It basically kept me in a consistent state of mild tiredness (think zombie), rather than a fluctuation between more tired and more awake.

Honestly, I found that having almost eliminated grains and lowering my carb intake overall has provided a more consistent state of alertness throughout the day, and my sleep during the night is much better that it was when I was drinking coffee.

Plus I never liked the taste of coffee, so giving it up wasn't a sacrifice pleasure wise.

Acmebike is offline Member

I have a little bump upward in my fasting blood glucose levels with caffeine. I tested this after reading Gedgaudas' book. I checked with caffeinated diet sodas, tea and coffee. If it's got caffeine, I get a little insulin spike, I'm guessing.

I had always noticed that if I go overboard on full-caf coffee, I get the same blood sugar crash as if I ate a donut! So I weaned back to decaff, and now I've even lowered that intake a bit.

And it is certainly not a drink paleolithic man would have gone through all the trouble to make. Pretty processed when you look at it! But I still have my decaf on these cold winter days.

Kaizen Guest

I like a cup of strong coffee here and there, honestly I don't drink it everyday. Coffee isn't something I crave, usually I like drinking it when it's pretty cold out and I want a good pick me up before a workout. Although I'm thinking of just going back to my tea habit. Ever had Puerh? That stuff is just as strong as coffee and is way better overall. Best part about it is you can steep it several times and it gets better and stronger with each steeping (sometimes up to 10 steepings from a single serving). Just thought I'd throw that out there, I love coffee but I love tea even more.

Osa007 Guest

Thanks for the advice. Here I sit with a very strong cup of coffee with maybe 10 minutes at my disposal - either alarm went off & I don't remember or it didn't go off properly. Ugh. Tired. Hmm....maybe there is something to be said against coffee.

I have never heard of Puerh - ? I'll look into it.

So, I am inclined that 'adrenal fatigue' in and of itself is nonsense, but that coffee could still be a stimulant that sets off a series of responses that might not be ideal - and perhaps a glucose/insulin issue is part of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast