Thread: Should I do a carb refeed? page

ar0e is offline Member

Should I do a carb refeed?

Shop Now
    Ok so I don't track my calories daily, but I know that on average I eat about 1500 calories, about 100 grams of protein, less than 75 grams of carbs, and upwards of 85 grams of fat. I have one splurge daily and it's one pump of mocha syrup in my double espresso every morning, it has 6 grams of carbs, 4 of them sugar but I figure it counts as part of my 20%. I eat a few almonds or sunflower seeds everyday, but not more than 15 almonds or 45 sunflower seeds. I eat only 1 sweet potato weekly and I also don't eat dairy, except for a tablespoon of heavy cream in my coffee. I even cut out wine 3 weeks ago. I feel like I am doing everything right, but I want to lose more weight. I have about 40 lbs to lose and I want to lose enough weight in the next 4 weeks for people to notice next month when I see my family at a wedding. I do tabata intervals of kettlebell swings every other day, and I walk my dog around the neighborhood 5 miles everyday. Should I try a carb refeed to up my weight loss? Maybe I need more strength training? I open to any ideas...

js290 is offline Senior Member

ar0e is offline Member
    I don't have a blood sugar tester thing but I do know that I don't have diabetes, I was tested when I was six and was actually diagnosed with non-diabetic hypoglycemia. I have never had high blood sugar but when I eat SAD I get the worst low blood sugar symptoms. Pre-primal I had to eat breakfast within a few minutes of getting out of bed otherwise I would literally pass out on the floor of the kitchen. About 4 years ago I lost over 50 pounds with SAD and chronic cardio but I felt terrible, I would eat bagels for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch and I had to eat every 2-3 hours to avoid low blood sugar symptoms. I would go from feeling 'kinda hungry' to hysterical crying in about 10 minutes flat! Now I never experience low blood sugar symptoms, I just get hungry like a normal person.
    Last edited by ar0e; 08-21-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    How much do you weigh now eating 1,500 calories. Are you exercises in the morning fasted?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    If your weightloss has stalled I would suggest cutting the mocha-syrup to once a week, and same with the nuts. I'm not sure carb refeeds might work unless your hormones are 100% sorted out first.

ar0e is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    How much do you weigh now eating 1,500 calories. Are you exercises in the morning fasted?
    I'm 206 and I'm 5'10", I do the kettlebell swings fasted and I walk 2 of the 5 miles fasted, I usually walk 2 miles in the morning and 3 after dinner.

ar0e is offline Member
    I never considered that my hormones and/or hypoglycemia could be hindering my weight loss. I don't want to get too personal but since I started PB, my period has been at arriving later and later, ten days last month, 5 days and counting this month. I was on the pill for 18 months but I have been off it for over 2 years now. I wish someone could just tell me "eat this. do this." and I could follow it lol.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    1,500 cals is a lowish amount for your weight. I don't know if you should up it? Maybe up the protein to 120g. For a week or so ditch the syrup and nuts and see if you lose.
    Maybe you may benefit with a liver cleanse protocol. You could just get some st mary's thistle or a supplement with that herb and others. May help with your menstrual issues too.
    Was going to say, if you did a carb refeed wouldn't you maybe have a hypoglycaemic episode? So possibly not for you. I also think carb refeeds are helpful when you are very close to goal.
    Last edited by Sue; 08-21-2011 at 06:03 PM.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    At 40 pounds overweight, you don't sound lean enough to do a carb refeed IMO. You could give it a shot - one day just drop your fat (eat chicken breast or whitefish) and eat 5 or 6 sweet potatoes and just see what happens - but I wouldn't go starting a plan anytime soon. IMO, you're not eating enough and you're not losing weight because your metabolism is bottomed out. At your size, you should be eating more like 2,200 calories for weight loss. You can try a one day carb binge using sweet potatoes, white potatoes or white rice, but given your weight, you may find yourself feeling kind of crappy after. If you do choose to try it, make sure you get a HEAVY weight lifting workout beforehand to deplete your glycogen. I suffer no ill effect from carbs after a heavy weight workout because the carbohydrate goes to glycogen, not my blood sugar. If you choose, be smart about it, but honestly it doesn't sound like you're eating enough and you need way more fat and protein. 130g fat/200g protein/50g carbs sounds more like your sweet spot and that'll put you right at 2,170 calories. You really should track a few days on Fitday or some site to see what your eating really looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by ar0e View Post
    I'm 206 and I'm 5'10", I do the kettlebell swings fasted and I walk 2 of the 5 miles fasted, I usually walk 2 miles in the morning and 3 after dinner.
    This IMO is not appropriate for carb refeeds. Squats, deadlifts, benchpresses, military presses, shoulder presses, cleans, interval sprints - these are what you need to do to empty your glycogen to get the most out of a refeed. If you chow down on carbs after a 3 mile walk and a couple kettle bell swings, you may find yourself feeling sluggish and hungry.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-21-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ar0e is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    At 40 pounds overweight, you don't sound lean enough to do a carb refeed IMO. You could give it a shot - one day just drop your fat (eat chicken breast or whitefish) and eat 5 or 6 sweet potatoes and just see what happens - but I wouldn't go starting a plan anytime soon. IMO, you're not eating enough and you're not losing weight because your metabolism is bottomed out. At your size, you should be eating more like 2,200 calories for weight loss. You can try a one day carb binge using sweet potatoes, white potatoes or white rice, but given your weight, you may find yourself feeling kind of crappy after. If you do choose to try it, make sure you get a HEAVY weight lifting workout beforehand to deplete your glycogen. I suffer no ill effect from carbs after a heavy weight workout because the carbohydrate goes to glycogen, not my blood sugar. If you choose, be smart about it, but honestly it doesn't sound like you're eating enough and you need way more fat and protein. 130g fat/200g protein/50g carbs sounds more like your sweet spot and that'll put you right at 2,170 calories. You really should track a few days on Fitday or some site to see what your eating really looks like.

This IMO is not appropriate for carb refeeds. Squats, deadlifts, benchpresses, military presses, shoulder presses, cleans, interval sprints - these are what you need to do to empty your glycogen to get the most out of a refeed. If you chow down on carbs after a 3 mile walk and a couple kettle bell swings, you may find yourself feeling sluggish and hungry.

I'm not dead set on doing a carb refeed, I just thought it might help, I didn't really understand who should do them. As far as the calorie count goes does it make a difference that I'm a girl? I don't know how I could eat 2200 calories, especially the 200 grams of protein. It's already tough for me to get near 100 grams, I'm just not very hungry. So, would I need to exercise more to make myself hungry enough to eat the 2200 calories? Sorry if I sound dumb, this is just so hard to wrap my head around around when I come from a SAD background where even when I ran 6 miles a day I could barely break 1700 calories.