Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Why Do I Feel Like I Am STARVING After I Run? page

  1. #1
    CaveMama's Avatar
    CaveMama is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    85

    Why Do I Feel Like I Am STARVING After I Run?

    I am 5'7, 130lbs, female, just getting back into shape again after lapsing with my diet and fitness for a couple years post baby.

    I have been eating primal for a few months and definitely feel better, but need to start exercising again. I LOVE running, it really elevates my mood and makes me feel good, so that's where I'm starting. And damn, I am SO out of shape. I was dying just running 2 miles with walk breaks yesterday.

    Then, I am SO hungry throughout the day.

    I know, it burns calories so my body wants to replace them. But, if I'm only burning 300 calories in my run, why am I feeling the need to eat, like, 1000 calories more than I would normally eat? I normally eat about 2,000 a day (but I'm not really a strict counter, so I'm not sure exactly). I ended up gorging on tacos last night, which kindof defeats the purpose of the run. And I had eaten a rather huge bowl of primal soup with tons of grassfed beef and veggies in it right after the run. I should NOT have been that hungry.

    My goal is to increase over-all health but not to lose weight. But I don't want to GAIN weight from eating like a glutton!
    Last edited by CaveMama; 08-21-2011 at 11:40 AM.

  2. #2
    Primal Fist's Avatar
    Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    1,714
    Don't stress. Eat good food when you're hungry, stop when you're not. Your body knows what it's doing.

  3. #3
    Grumpycakes's Avatar
    Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,591
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveMama View Post
    I know, it burns calories so my body wants to replace them. But, if I'm only burning 300 calories in my run, why am I feeling the need to eat, like, 1000 calories more than I would normally eat? I normally eat about 2,000 a day (but I'm not really a strict counter, so I'm not sure exactly). I ended up gorging on tacos last night, which kindof defeats the purpose of the run. And I had eaten a rather huge bowl of primal soup with tons of grassfed beef and veggies in it right after the run. I should NOT have been that hungry.
    I would guess it's because you are out of shape and haven't been running. I assume that the human body doesn't take chances when it comes to food. If it detects a sudden increase in physical activity, it wants to make damned sure it has enough energy to compensate, and it's better to err on the side of gluttony. Your body needs to re-tune its hunger signals taking into account your new exercise.

    However, running is the kind of exercise that sabotages diets because moving at a quick pace requires quickly accessible fuel, which is glycogen and not ketones. Regular running saps your glycogen stores and causes you to crave food high in glucose (carbs), which as we all know is all too easy to overeat.

    Make sure to eat lots of protein which provides glycogen through gluconeogenesis, and be very strict with yourself in the beginning when it comes to carbohydrate or else you will constantly binge. Later on, after you've adapted, you can incorporate things like potatoes if you need to.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

  4. #4
    George_Bondrew's Avatar
    George_Bondrew is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8
    how many grams of carbs are in you diet? i run a lot too, and I find when i am in the 50-150 range i am always hungry too, but when i am sub 50 I have no problem with hungry, and my runs are awesome!

    btw it can take a while for your body to fully adjust to running on ketones for things like running/biking my endurance goes up, but my end sprints are not as fast and that is a fair trade in my book for my goals

  5. #5
    CaveMama's Avatar
    CaveMama is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    85
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I would say my carb intake has been averaging 50-100/day. I wonder if I should experiment with restricting it.

  6. #6
    js290's Avatar
    js290 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by George_Bondrew View Post
    how many grams of carbs are in you diet? i run a lot too, and I find when i am in the 50-150 range i am always hungry too, but when i am sub 50 I have no problem with hungry, and my runs are awesome!

    btw it can take a while for your body to fully adjust to running on ketones for things like running/biking my endurance goes up, but my end sprints are not as fast and that is a fair trade in my book for my goals
    Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Ketogenic diets and physical performance

  7. #7
    scotchncoffee's Avatar
    scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    150
    Another possibility, and one that I experienced often back in my chronic cardio days is plain old dehydration. Heck I get this lifting heavy outside nowadays when it pops above 90. I end my workout feeling hungry enough to eat a ton, but the hunger goes away if I take a glass of water and wait a couple minutes. Then I go ahead and eat a normal-sized dinner.

  8. #8
    supersellen's Avatar
    supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchncoffee View Post
    Another possibility, and one that I experienced often back in my chronic cardio days is plain old dehydration. Heck I get this lifting heavy outside nowadays when it pops above 90. I end my workout feeling hungry enough to eat a ton, but the hunger goes away if I take a glass of water and wait a couple minutes. Then I go ahead and eat a normal-sized dinner.
    +1
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Kenzington's Avatar
    Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    +1
    +2
    This is a great tip!

  10. #10
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,783
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I experienced this phenomenon as well, and my instructor explained that carb-sensitive folks tend to go in the over-drive carb-craving mode after burning carb during high intensity excersise; you would want to eat far more than you've burned. The solution is to mix high-impact with low impact and keep high impact to short bursts. I do not run long runs any more, I do all my cardio sessions as HIITs and I walk. And lift.

    One more big thing - you have to eat enough to support your activity level. When you are chronically starved, which a lot of females do when they try to lose weight, continually dropping calories lower and lower. I kept doing this too for a long time, because the weight was not dropping (I had a notion that I just HAVE to be 115 lbs) and because the moment I ate a bit more, the weight 'jumped' by a couple of pounds. But it rebalances after a couple of weeks of higher calories and I started feeling MUCH better and have MUCH more energy. I thought I have a very low methabolic rate and have to work out 3 hrs a day and eat 1,300 calories (I am 5'7"). Well, I now do ~ 2 hrs, and most of it low impact walking, and eat in the 1,500-2,000 range, and didn't turn into an elephant, woot!

    Also, some people get hungry when excersising, other, surprisingly don't (they are a minority). That's how it is.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •