Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Experience of Primal Pregnancy, Before & After page

DepRatlAnimal Guest

Primal Fuel

I'm noticing lots of people in the forums who are pregnant, and I've also noticed interest in PB-like eating on other forums with pregnant, trying-to-conceive and postpartum/nursing moms. It would be really interesting to hear from a woman who went through a primal pregnancy, from start to finish! How did she adjust her diet and exercise over the course of the pregnancy? If she'd had a non-primal pregnancy before, did she notice any benefits? And of course, how much weight did she gain, and how hard was it to lose her pregnancy weight postpartum?

Tarlach is offline Member

My wife has been through two paleo pregnancies.

She thought it was fantastic and was very pleased with how it all went. After the second she was under pre-pregnancy weight in a few weeks.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

DepRatlAnimal Guest

That's so encouraging to hear! A story from someone like her would be really inspiring...

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

ask me in July. :-D

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Kristen Guest

Well, unfortunately I didn't come across the PB until after I had my baby, which was in June 09. What I can tell you is that I was already overweight when I got pregnant, and thankfully I only gained 20 lbs during. But since I have started, which was in June, I have noticed that my crazy hormone flux's have stopped (my husband is totally thrilled!) which is amazing because I used to get SEVERE hormonal mood swings which interfered with my normal life so that makes me really happy. Whether this is just from the post baby stage, or PB remains to be seen, but I'm crossing my fingers that it's PB! As far as appetite goes, I'm way less hungry than ever before, which is why I was overweight because I couldn't stand dieting! I'm also of the mindset that you only live once, so indulge, which suits me perfectly because all I've changed is what I indulge in! My diet doesn't seem to affect my nursing ability, which I was concerned about when I first started, my boy is 17lbs at 6 mos and I'm still breastfeeding pretty much exclusively. But the thing I'm most excited about is that from pregnancy weight I've lost 55lbs in 6 mos!! If you count from before I conceived, that's 35 lbs!! Pretty impressive if you consider that i've been bad and havn't really worked out at all, and just cut grains out of my diet! I still have a goal to lose another 30 lbs, but the results I've experienced have told me that probably wont be a problem. Anyway, sorry for the long post, I hope this helps a bit with what you were looking for!

DepRatlAnimal Guest

Definitely fun to hear your story from the postpartum stage, Kristen, and I'm peeking at your journal, FNW... I have one little girl, and though I wasn't primal, I definitely credit the primal things I DID do during pregnancy and postpartum last time with lots of benefits - exercise all through pregnancy (equaled lots of energy, an amazing short labor, relatively quick recovery), eating full-fat stuff and lots of eggs when I realized in 2nd semester my body just was not keeping up without it (I was going skin and bones except for my baby bump!), then carrying DD for miles every day after she was born (easy exercise and totally built my upper body)...

FNW, and maybe for Tarlach's wife, too, were you at a healthy weight when you got pregnant? I'm curious, b/c I have no idea if I'm going to get there before getting pregnant again. I think that, no matter what, I'll have made enough progress to feel healthy enough going into another pregnancy... But I just keep thinking, wow, trying to stay healthy during the baby-making years is such a roller-coaster!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I was 130 lbs when I got pregnant at 5'6". Now I'm 125 at 11.5 weeks. Nausea and whatnot.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

amandamarie is offline Junior Member

I went through my first pregnancy eating a mostly primal diet and had as easy a pregnancy and labor as any woman can. I started at a healthy weight and gained 29 pounds. I never had any morning sickness and was able to exercise up until the day before I delivered. I lost all the weight plus an additional 5 pounds very easily, and didn't have any stretch marks. I have friends who are still trying to lose their baby weight a year after the baby is born. My son is now 14 months and I am 34 weeks pregnant with baby #2. I have eaten mostly primal for this pregnancy as well and it has been going well for the most part (other than an annoying burning in my upper abdomen and heartburn). My weight gain has been similar and I'm looking forward to the prospect of getting back into shape afterwards! I have noticed that after I eat some sort of carbs (like sweets), that I am moodier the next day. My husband would probably agree with that! I try to listen to my body and eat when I am hungry, and I definitely eat a lot of fat. I seem to go through cycles of not being very hungry some days to feeling like I can't get enough food other days. I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions!

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

i wonder if primal-eating mothers experience less miscarriage risk from not feeling nausea than non-primal eating mothers. because the research on morning sickness and miscarriage is done on 'conventional' eating mothers, and shows that in their case not feeling nausea is a miscarriage risk. it would be interesting if a study could be done along such lines.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yeah, I've always wondered about the nausea/miscarriage risk. With a maybe two exceptions during each of my pregnancies, I experienced no pregnancy nausea. During this second pregnancy where I had been eating primally before pregnancy for 2-3 months, and where I was pretty good throughout the first part of the 1st trimester, I experienced very little change in appetite, had no aversions, no cravings, etc. This was in sharp contrast to my first pregnancy. There was definitely a big difference between the two experiences.

But I know that FNW has had a lot of nausea, so I chalk it up to personal differences and she's been primal throughout. Plus, I don't know much about the studies you are talking about but a lot of miscarriages happen early and I know plenty of people who didn't have any nausea until week 9.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast