Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Experience of Primal Pregnancy, Before & After page 2

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hcg is the cause of nausea for a lot of people. Just the way your body reacts. Not every person or every pregnancy will be affected the same way.

So while no nausea can occur in a perfectly healthy pregnancy , in other people/pregnancies it can be a sign that hcg levels have dropped, making mom feel better but also indicating that the pregnancy has been rejected by the body for whatever reason. So, indicating miscarriage.

Hope that helps that issue.

But yeah. With the exception of some sourdough bread (fermented and I have had no digestive issues with it) I have been eating primally. And having a lot of nausea though not a ton of actual vomiting. Also lots of food aversions. Not much in the way of cravings. Though I was thinking about white rice cooked in stock with tons of butter, I haven't actually made/eaten that. Hahah.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Also, differences in pregnancies for the same person pre and post primal doesn't necessarily mean anything. A neighbor of mine had awful nausea/vomiting through all 9 months of her first pregnancy. Second pregnancy had zero nausea at all. No change in her (SAD) eating habits in between either.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

i am really not sure how to deal with my fruit eating. i eat more fruit (clementines and small apples) because the sugar seems to do a little for the nausea and lets me do things like get my vitamins down. it's entirely an artifact of pregnancy, because i didn't desire fruit more than about once per day before then and didn't eat it daily.

i worry about the carb count of 4 or 6 clementines/day and whether it will be bad for me in some way re: insulin, etc.

Fbw, FWIW I have been eating way more fruit than usual too. It seems to be a pretty "safe" bet in the midst of all this nausea. I have found that it hasn't affected me the way it normally would. It's not causing me to eat a ton or to crave sugar or anything like that. So if I were you I wouldn't worry about amount of fruit at this time. I know I'm not.

Maybe when I'm into the 2nd trimester and not so nauseated I will be able to eat other stuff and back off the fruit a bit. But till then...I will keep eating lots. I have a container at work with me full of strawberries and cantaloupe waiting for me to eat them. Mmmm.

raesch Guest

I'm so glad this post was started. We discovered the PB when I was about 15 weeks pregnant, and I was really nervous in case it wasn't safe for the little one. It was made easier by the fact that I had been ignoring the midwives insistence on following the (rubbish) food pyramid, so the PB wasn't my first step away from their advice.

I'm now 20 weeks and people say I'm looking really good, and I haven't been putting on too much weight which is great.

Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences, and whether you bring up your little ones following the PB?

kam904s is offline Member

I didn't discover primal eating until I was well into my pregnancy but I can say I was one of those lucky ladies who had next to no morning sickness and my baby is a perfectly healthy one month old.

stop_hammertime Guest

I am hoping PB gives me back the ability to have children....(and I think it will)

Then I hope to have a primal pregnancy.

stop_hammertime Guest

I am hoping PB gives me back the ability to have children....(and I think it will)

Then I hope to have a primal pregnancy.

soror is offline Senior Member

My last 2 pregnancies were more paleo,although #2 I did do fermented dairy and some gluten. On #3 I cut out all dairy and gluten - 100%. I was not 100% perfect though with other grains, sometimes I had some rice, in the first trimester I found it hard as I had lots of aversions, this was the first pregnancy I experienced that. I craved more carbs but generally kept that to fruit and sweet potatoes. I was super active until the last trimester, although didn't do a lot of official workouts. We have a few acres and I garden, so I spent a lot of time raking and digging and moving heavy things, helped butcher chickens a few times not to mention chasing 2 kids around. I looked the best this time.

I gained the same weight as last time-35 pds. Started out at 117lbs at 5-4. I still have about 9 lbs to lose at 11 wks post partum. I have lost weight at the same rate w/ all my pregnancies, actually had gained 55 lbs with #1 but lost 40 in the first month and my diet was the worst then. I have been pretty strict paleo since before this one was born but the weight is still coming off at the same rate. With the other 2 it took until 4 months to lose the weight and then until 6-7 months to be the same size. At least this time I should be back to the same size by 4 months, instead of just the same weight.

My recovery was pretty rough w/ #1, it took months to feel normal. With #2 it was immediate, I felt great. This time it was a bit slower-about 6 weeks to feel completely back to normal. I attribute that to slacking off on the activity the last trimester and my babe coming out funny w/ her hand by her face gouged me on the inside. I was back to our regular schedule by 1 week though- taking the kids to the library(by myself) and doing other activities.

always have had tons of milk with all of them.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

soror is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Oh, and other markers- my bp has always been great, it did go up a bit with #1, but still well below any markers. I also had a bit of feet swelling w/ #1, nothing concerning but had some nonetheless. This last pregnancy I had no swelling anywhere and most all my weight was right in my belly. Bp stayed low until the end about 90-100 /60

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast