Thread: Greetings, Salutations and Hello. or *Red enters, stage Left* page

RedMenace is offline Senior Member

Greetings, Salutations and Hello. or *Red enters, stage Left*

Shop Now
    Greetings!

I've been reading around MDA and other primal/paleo sites for a couple months now and as today is my first day of "dipping my toes in", as it were, I figured it was high time to say hello.

I'm at a low low point and primal/paleo is really my last ditch effort to get healthier and stop feeling like utter and complete crap all the time. So here I am, hoping to make some chums along the way as friends always make things better and more fun.

My history is as such:
    I have never been particularly healthy/active/skinny but never obese or particularly unhealthy. I did a hardcore CW diet and workout routine (that dominated every second of my life)a couple years ago and got down to a size, weight, and body fat % that I had never been, but the stress of moving, illness, and injury caught up to me very quickly and I gained it all back and then some.

I am currently the least healthy and the least happy I've been in my 29 short years on this earth, and I feel as though this is the worst way to see out my 20's and ring in my 30's. It's also just a crap way to live. I'm in pain constantly, depressed, ashamed of the way I look, unable to express myself properly, and finding it increasingly hard to move. Egads, it's scary!

I'm hoping that primal/paleo will help me reverse all this damage I've done to myself and allow me to feel a little better a little freer and a little more capable again. I'm not looking for a miracle, but I am looking for something that's, you know, compatible with a life rather than something that consumes it.

I hope that makes some sense....

Anyway, I am a student of Forensic Anthropology and a photographer/makeup artist here in lovely Seattle, WA.

I am 5'10", weigh 238ish lbs, and wear a size 18/20 (as if the weight thing wasn't arbitrary enough).

My current goals only consist of getting a solid idea of what I'm in for and a plan to execute it effectively.

My hopes are, at this point, just to feel better and maybe to lighten the load on my knees. I'm not looking to be this society's definition of skinny. I am trying to gain some semblance of health.

I'm pleased to join you all and hope to find some support and information here and eventually lend some of the same.

Thanks for reading.
    Prions are natures way of telling us that cannibalism is for losers.

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36522.html

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    I'm at a low low point and primal/paleo is really my last ditch effort to get healthier and stop feeling like utter and complete crap all the time. So here I am, hoping to make some chums along the way as friends always make things better and more fun.
    Hey, welcome! From one former feel-like-crap-redhead to another, you may feel like crap for another few days while you adjust, but then be prepared to feel great. I went into it with much the same goals as you, just wanting to feel good and like my curves again. 4 1/2 months in, and I definitely feel good, and am down 45 lbs, but it's the feeling good part that gets me...I'd all but given up on that. No doubt it'll work for you too. Good luck!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Red! Primal can give you what you are looking for. In your intro post you mentioned the cost of primal. It doesn't have to be expensive at all. Search the forum for "budget." And come back here anytime you need support.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Grokarella is offline Member
    Welcome, RedMenace!
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

Ummmmya - Oh how misery does love her company. Thank you so much. You give me hope, which has been in short supply around here lately.
    I am totally prepared to feel like crap for a few days/a week or so. If I can quit smoking, and quit soda (1 year and 5 years clean respectively) I can totally do this. I'm ready. I will kick carb flu in its face The results and surprise bonuses threads here are going to be serving as my lights at the end of the tunnel for a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Welcome Red! Primal can give you what you are looking for. In your intro post you mentioned the cost of primal. It doesn't have to be expensive at all. Search the forum for "budget." And come back here anytime you need support.
    Thanks Hedonist! I actually have made today's grocery list based off of those posts! Thanks so much for the push in the right direction!
    Honestly, nothing is ever going to be cost-per-meal effective as my 20lb bag of white rice and 10lb bag of corn masa, but I figure it will eventually all come out in the wash, what with not having to pay doctors nearly as much.

Grokarella - Thank you! I love your avatar! Scott Pilgrim?

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hola Red,
    Greetings from the Northwest too:-)

Primal living will give you everything you put into it. If you stay the course, you will feel/look great. Just remember to be patient and not worry about numbers(weight loss that is). Listen to what your body tells you. It has done miracles for me. Far beyond what any CW diet/exercise program ever served up. And of course, you can eat the best food there is. BACON:-) Good luck to you, and never hesitate to ask questions...

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    Hola Red,
    Greetings from the Northwest too:-)

Primal living will give you everything you put into it. If you stay the course, you will feel/look great. Just remember to be patient and not worry about numbers(weight loss that is). Listen to what your body tells you. It has done miracles for me. Far beyond what any CW diet/exercise program ever served up. And of course, you can eat the best food there is. BACON:-) Good luck to you, and never hesitate to ask questions...
    Hi there! Thanks so much, SoccerGrok! Glad to receive some greetings from a fellow Northwesterner.
    I cannot wait for the Bacon. I'm having some in my BAS for lunch

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Red. I think you'll be glad you came here. If you ever need encouragement, lots of folks here are ready to give it. And for instant evidence that you're on the right track, you can check out this thread about all the unexpected bennies from the PB: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread16575.html
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

cranehigh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Red. I'm wrapping up my second week here, and I can definitely feel where you're coming from. So far I've found the whole thing to be a lot less intimidating and complicated than the other ways I've eaten. I was losing weight the CW way, but like you said, it takes up everything you have. This... so far anyway, doesn't do that. Good luck, and if you ever need a fellow newbie I'm here!

Mike - Thanks for the welcome! I'm three days (beginning of fourth, technically.) in and pretty certain I'm already glad about it despite the fact that I'm starting to feel those first few twinges of serious adjustment. The thread you linked is an amazing one, indeed. Thank you! It's in my bookmarks now. I plan to check it regularly.

Cranehigh - Hi there. I'm so with you on this being less complicated. I'm flabbergasted at nearly every meal by the ease at which I can find things I like, in quantities that satisfy me, and are completely adherent to the diet. Amazing. Now if I could just retrain myself to eat when I'm actually hungry rather than ignoring hunger pains and chocking them up to "progress". Thanks so much for the offer of support! I will add you to my friends list. Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor.