Thread: Coconuts the miracle? page

Kaizen Guest

Primal Fuel

Well damn is there nothing this "nut" can't do? I'm a big fan of coconut oil and coconut milk, but after looking around for coconut water I didn't realize how great the water itself was as well. I usually like to eat pineapple soaked in coconut water, it tastes amazing. Anyways, I bought some today at this organic store I finally found, and it touts all these great things. So I read up on it, and it seems to be true. I'm thinking about drinking this during my workouts. I was looking for a natural workout drink, besides water, and this may just be it. It has more potassium than a banana (I know a few of you had this problem), has lauric acid which cleanses the liver and is basically a natural electrolyte sports drink. Not only that but the water is sterile since the water can seep into the coconuts' fibrous shell. I'm a bit excited, haha, I love finding stuff like this. I think coconuts might be my favorite primal "food".

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Could you imagine the looks you'd get at the gym if you brought in a coconut instead of a water bottle?

Might be worth doing it for that alone :-D

Kaizen Guest

Haha, a coconut with a straw in it. Would be a pain to drill a hole into a coconut each morning. I already get looks walking into the gym with Vibrams on hah. I'm trying to see if I can buy this in bulk for cheaper. I got a carton for like $6. No need to go "organic" for this stuff. I'd like to drink this stuff more often, the health benefits alone far outweigh the small carb content it has.

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

I miss Thailand, for 20 cents you get a fresh young coconut, they chop the top off for you and put a straw in it & a small spoon (for the thin layer of flesh). I did not drink water there at all, it was always coconut water. Good days.

maba is offline Senior Member

If you consider how many uses the bark, the leaves and the buds have too, it truly is a miracle tree. Coconut water is the most refreshing drink! When I visit India, I make sure I get fresh coconut everyday from our coconut farm. Sigh, how I miss it.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Coconuts, Mangos, any kind of food on a tree just amazes me. Still :-)

When I used to go on my low-budget trips to Hawaii, the gardeners were always cutting coconuts off the trees (so they wouldn't fall later and bash people and cars). They'd just leave them out on the sidewalk for people to take home....free food is awesome.

Judymac Guest

I already use it as my workout drink mixed with fruit and veg juice. Great for long bike rides! Big thumbs up

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

man, I really had been wanting to try coconut water (I've had it straight from a coconut in the Dominican Republic, but can only find the sweetened kind in the stores here) again.... i love the stuff.

So I went on amazon.com. Seems like from the reviews ONE brand and Zico brand are the favorites, closest to "straight from the nut" flavor. I ordered some ONE and got it with the every-3-months delivery option. You get free shipping that way, and a discount, and you can cancel any time... so if I really like it I'll just leave it (because 12 little single-servings every 3 months isn't excessive) and if I feel like it's not worth the price (only 17 dollars after the discounts) I'll just cancel.

Win win.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

maba is offline Senior Member

FNW, I haven't tried ONE but I recently tried Zico and I thought it was much better than the sweetened ones available in the store. It's no match to the water fresh from a coconut, but I thought it wasn't bad for something out of a tetrapak. I hope ONE tastes good too.

Mainer is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I use the ONE brand, sometimes plain, sometimes the pineapple flavor. I use it as a replenishment drink after a hard mountainbike ride or sometimes on the mountain while downhill skiing. My Dr. friend thinks its evil and I am nuts! I say NOT!!! Good Stuff!!

You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes