Thread: New and interested in the Primal diet - Davis, CA page

cmedman is offline Junior Member

New and interested in the Primal diet - Davis, CA

I have been reading quite a bit on the site here over the last month, and really want to get into this eating plan. I've read enough to make me reasonably confident I would be doing the right (though I cannot get most around me to give me the room to try without telling me not to do anything rash).

My story is this: I have low HDL, though normal lipoprotein levels (but I cannot remember the levels); high BP (though in control right now with medication and cutting sugar down likely); high triglycerides (around 290), and borderline blood sugar (103, but one a couple months before that was around 120). I am 19 and going to college, so I feel like this is the right time to tackle this and make changes for the better.

I have a few concerns though, and would love any advice anyone might have. Doing the reading (here, and I've finished Good Calories, Bad Calories - though I haven't picked up The Primal Blueprint just yet, should have it soon) makes me pretty certain eating primal would bring my measurements down very well. My concern is whether they will goo too low, since I am on the medication that is affecting Blood Pressure at the moment. The question is, more specifically, would it be enough to monitor my BP myself, seeking care if it becomes too crazy, or should I be checked out and have a willing physician to go to before I get too deep into the primal plan (I kind of doubt the ease of finding a doctor who wouldn't give me no end of grief about doing this...).

Lastly, if anyone has tips about sticking to the primal plan while on a "poor college student" budget they would be greatly appreciated.
    ~CME

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I can't answer your BP questions but there are a lot of threads here about doing primal on a budget. Just put 'budget' into the search engine. You do not have to eat organic and grass-fed to succeed.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hollers "Welcome!" across the Causeway. Aggie alumnus now living in Sacramento. If you find a receptive doc in this area let me know.

I, myself, would self monitor but that's just me.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

That was my thought, on self-monitoring... finding a doctor who is receptive may be more easily said than done... I could always just go in, get checked out, and periodically get blood drawn to check levels... I mean, if it's working, I wouldn't argue with the results... I just don't want the diet and the meds dropping my BP too low, so I suppose watching that closely myself, and seeking the care if it's alarming is best.

And thanks, I'll definitely run a search on the budget.

Cool - I actually really like Davis, and being there will frankly make it easier to find some of the food items... shopping where my mom lives I have found to be quite difficult already.
    ~ CME

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about the blood pressure issue, but I know eating primal can lower your bp, so definitely keep a close eye on it. Regarding doctors who could help with that, any of these in your area? Paleo Physicians Network

Doing primal on a budget isn't that hard. Eggs are super cheap, then just watch for sales on meats, and seasonal vegetables are always cheap, especially if you can find a farmers' market or two in your neighborhood. Don't worry about grass fed and organic at this point...you'll do just fine on what you can afford. When you cut out the grains and bad carbs, you'll probably find yourself eating a lot less anyway because your hunger is regulated the way it should be....no more bottomless pit that never gets satisfied. Lots of people naturally start skipping meals because they just don't need it, and that definitely helps the budget

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

Way too young!

You are too young to be facing these scary health issues. Congratulations for wanting to get your health under control. Eating primal will help all of them.

I would self-monitor blood pressure and as important or more - blood glucose! Buy a Truetest meter at Walgreens with 100% rebate and get a handle on how your system responds to carbs. This alone will keep you on track. I blew through 30 test trips in 2 weeks of learning how I respond, so go ahead and spring for the 50 count test strips if you can.

Do a self glucose tolerance test- eat 60 grams of carbs in a fasted state, measure glucose before, every 15 minutes and then at 60, 120 and 180 minutes to see how you respond.

Magnesium is important for blood pressure so you might consider supplementing this - magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate (oxide is worthless). Keep daily records of FBG and BP; they will be useful for you as learning tools and also for the doctors to show them that what you are doing s working,. If BP starts dropping with the change in diet then Talk to your doctor about adjusting the doses until hopefully you can itch the BP Meds altogether!
    Last edited by Adrianag; 08-21-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    You are too young to be facing these scary health issues. Congratulations for wanting to get your health under control. Eating primal will help all of them.

I would self-monitor blood pressure and as important or more - blood glucose! Buy a Truetest meter at Walgreens with 100% rebate and get a handle on how your system responds to carbs. This alone will keep you on track. I blew through 30 test trips in 2 weeks of learning how I respond, so go ahead and spring for the 50 count test strips if you can.

Do a self glucose tolerance test- eat 60 grams of carbs in a fasted state, measure glucose before, every 15 minutes and then at 60, 120 and 180 minutes to see how you respond.

Magnesium is important for blood pressure so you might consider supplementing this - magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate (oxide is worthless). Keep daily records of FBG and BP; they will be useful for you as learning tools and also for the doctors to show them that what you are doing s working,. If BP starts dropping with the change in diet then Talk to your doctor about adjusting the doses until hopefully you can itch the BP Meds altogether!
    Yeah, most of the reason I'm as concerned as I am now to find what will actually work now, rather than have these problems becoming much greater in the next 10-15 years. Not a bad idea on Blood glucose - I'll definitely keep it in mind, though may be unable to do anything about it in the next couple of weeks.

So the multivitamin I have has 50mg of Magnesium... only now I see it is Magnesium Oxide, so I'll definitely look into that.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Get a glucose meter and see for yourself how your body responds to foods. Meters are cheap, Walgreens TrueTest has a 100% rebate right now. Test strips are expensive in store but you can get 100 for $29 on Amazon Amazon.com: TRUEtest Test Strips, 100 Count: Health & Personal Care. You will go through 30 just getting baseline readings over a couple of weeks. Test your Fasting Blood Glucose and Do your own glucose tolerance test by eating 60 g carbs and checking every 15, 30, 45, 60, 120 and 180 min. I did the same thing with several all protein meals and tested the rsult of exercise as well. Good information to really get in tune with your body.

Look for at least 200 mg magnesium citrate (Vitamin Shoppe) or if you have sleep issues Natural Calm is a good alternative. I 've ramped my bedtime magnesium up from 400 to 750 and it seems to be working to get my FBG down from 104 to below 90 where my doctor wants it. Beware! Magnesium can be a major laxative, some people get diarrhea at 400 mg. In me it kicked in closer to 1000. ( under doctors orders to scale it up). Magnsium glycinate is not supposed to have this laxative effect, I will be testing it this coming weekk since different forms have different absorbability.

Please keep us posted, I want to see your turn-around in MDA success stories!