Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting out and looking for some advice on how to reach my goals. page

h4890 is offline Junior Member

Question Starting out and looking for some advice on how to reach my goals.

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

I'm just starting out and I wonder if you could give me a bit of help and some advice on how to reach my goals (defined below)?

I know nothing about training, and come from a "culture" that is very negative towards training (IT) and therefore I'm just taking my first stumbling steps.

First of all, let me tell you a bit about myself. I'm 29, 5 ft 10 inch, weighing ca 123 pounds, and my athletic activities stopped right before college.

To be honest, I seem to be blessed with good genes, since I can eat anything and not gain weight, but this also works the other way around, since I can train a lot (well at least before college) and not gain any weight as well.

However, I now suspect that this special circumstance will not last for the rest of my life (getting closer to my 30 year crisis for sure... =( ), so I'm thinking about trying to train again in a proactive way, and not wait until the years and my diet habits force me to train. Also I do not eat any paleo food, except that by pure chance I have always disliked potatoes and vegetables and focused more on meat. But I still eat cereals and pasta though.

My overall goals are:

1. To remain fit and active.
    2. To gain 14 pounds of muscle, since I think I am a bit skinny.
    3. Over the long term, to learn the more advanced exercises below.
    4. 6 pack. Not so much for me walking around naked, more because it is some kind of visible progress, and it seems like many people find it difficult and I like a challenge.

So what do you think about my current program which I do 2 times per week since 3 weeks?

30 x Hindu pushups
    25 x Bicycle crunches
    2 min plank, front + side
    70 squats
    (I currently have no possibility of doing pull ups, but will in about 4 months)

My long term exercise goals are to learn:

Hand stand pushus
    One leg squats
    One arm pushups
    L-Sits
    Planche

Now for my questions...

1. How often should I increase the difficulty of my exercises? Every 2, 4, 6 weeks, or just when I feel like it?

2. Since I started with this program, I've noticed that I sweat a LOT, sweat starts dripping onto the floor. Is this normal?

3. I read somwhere about taking cold showers to accelerate fat burning, is it true or not?

4. I have considered some kind of BBS like program to gain my pounds of muscle, however I _hate_ going to the gym or any other scheduled classes. Is it possible by just using body weight exercises to gain 14 pounds of muscle?

5. Should I add some kind of kreatin or protein shakes to accelerate muscle gain, or is it enough if I just change my dinners more towards eggs, tuna and meat (I really don't like chicken)?

6. Finally, once I've reached my goals, how does maintenance training work? Do I just stop increasing the difficulty of the exercises and stay on one level? Or do I occasionally increase the difficulty and then revert back to my "final" program?

Besides the above, my plan is to incorporate some kind of Yoga practice, just because I am curious about it.

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,
    Dan

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    You're 5-10 123 male and you think you might be a bit skinny?
    Is there a typo somewhere?
    I'm not in the 'bulk up to 200 or you're a pussy' crowd but DAMN!

Setting goals of gaining 14 pounds of muscle and having a 6 pack for the same program is guarantying failure.
    Gain the weight with some fat then lean back down. At your height-weight some fat may be GOOD for you.
    You can do it with bw training but I'll leave the local experts to help you with that.

Sweat is fine as long as you don't dehydrate or get into heat stress.
    Cold showers probably technically do burn a few calories but not enough to bother doing it. You need to gain weight anyway.

Just eat a lot of healthy food and probably drink a lot of whole milk.

Download the free ebook from the sticky in this forum.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I know nothing about training, and come from a "culture" that is very negative towards training (IT) and therefore I'm just taking my first stumbling steps.
    Internet Technology?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by h4890 View Post
    First of all, let me tell you a bit about myself. I'm 29, 5 ft 10 inch, weighing ca 123 pounds, and my athletic activities stopped right before college.
    Mike Mentzer's Underground Seminar Part - IX - YouTube

4. I have considered some kind of BBS like program to gain my pounds of muscle, however I _hate_ going to the gym or any other scheduled classes. Is it possible by just using body weight exercises to gain 14 pounds of muscle?
    All Muscle, No Iron

Blah is offline Senior Member
    My 2 cents is to increase the difficulty when ever you can. If you can only just do all of the harder progressions, thats the perfect step up. Make sure it stays hard but do-able.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Hello guys, and thank you very much for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Especially the one about just focusing on gaining weight in the beginning, and once that is done, losing fat. I think I was about to commit the classic mistake of "doing everything at once"! =)

So to summarize your replies:

Eeating healthy according to the eBook in the sticky.
    Upping the difficulty when I can, not based on a strict schedule.
    Start with focusing on gaining weight, then think about fat loss, abs, etc.
    Drink lots of milk
    And finally, have a look at the All muscle, no iron + mike menzer links.

What about maintaining your fitness level once you reached your goals? Is it as easy as no longer increasing the weight or is there anything I should keep in mind?

Again, tank you for your feedback.

Best regards,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Internet Technology?
    Yes, or Information Technology, but internet is a part of that as well. =)

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    The ebook is about exercise not nutrition.
    It has a bodyweight program with specific ways to deal with progression.
    For nutrition read the original book, this site and other paleo sites and books.

I'm an IT guy too. I had a co-worker who did triathlons another at another company who ran marathons..
    Another chasing a 300 pound bench.
    One place golf league was super popular at another we played lunchtime tennis.
    I guess that was mostly business applications folks, not your stereotype hardcore techies.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    The ebook is about exercise not nutrition.
    It has a bodyweight program with specific ways to deal with progression.
    For nutrition read the original book, this site and other paleo sites and books.

I'm an IT guy too. I had a co-worker who did triathlons another at another company who ran marathons..
    Another chasing a 300 pound bench.
    One place golf league was super popular at another we played lunchtime tennis.
    I guess that was mostly business applications folks, not your stereotype hardcore techies.
    Wow! How do they have the time to work?

I think you are completely correct though... Those business oriented types have a bit of a different culture, than the unix crowd!

Best regards,
    Daniel

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Wow! How do they have the time to work?
    From all I've read (here and elsewhere) as well as in my personal experience, you don't have to put in tons of time training to get great results in strength/fitness. I agree w/ the pp who mentioned downloading Primal Blueprint Fitness and trying that out. (If you can't do pull ups anywhere, you could try body rows on th edge of a table etc--playgrounds are a great place to try pull ups or rows though as well. Sometimes you've got to get creative--or even just buy a 20-30 dollar pull up bar from walmart...will fit in any doorway...)

So your long distance fitness goals are:
    Hand stand pushus
    One leg squats
    One arm pushups
    L-Sits
    Planche
    I think its important to practice the basic levels of each of these things to work your way up to them.

So, I would be sure to incorperate overhead press work (you could use the breakdown in PBF for this) towards Handstands then HSPUs.

I would also practice 'regular' push ups (plank position then down) in addition to the hindu pushups. More on push up variations: Al Kavadlo We're Working Out! All Kinds of Push-ups (Part One) and Al Kavadlo We're Working Out! The One Arm Pushup

You can start practicing the progression towards L-sits and Planche NOW. See Building an Olympic Body for how to start working on the planche (the gymnastic bodies site and forum is a wealth of info on bodyweight stuff). Also here is a link about the best (functional) ab exercises: Al Kavadlo We're Working Out! The Best Exercises For Abs

Here is some stuff from Al Kavadlo on getting to a SLS/pistol squat: Al Kavadlo We're Working Out! Pistol Squats More on squats in general: Al Kavadlo We're Working Out! All About Squats

Obviously I find Al's site very helpful (most of the links are from there. ) This link might be helpful in figuring out where you are and how you should progress to reach your goals: Al Kavadlo We're Working Out! Mastering Your Body Weight

HTH! Good luck with it all!
    Last edited by FairyRae; 08-21-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast