Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to help upper body without being able to go to the gym page

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member

best way to help upper body without being able to go to the gym

i started off 6"1" 297 about a month ago ...

im down to 269 or so as of this morning .. just changed diet and walking a little more (not really out of desire to walk, but to burn off all this extra energy!)..

im obviously top heavy and have a stomach, rolls on the side, and "man boobs" LOL... (well not funny in reality, but no other way to describe)..

what is the best thing i can do to slowly tone these areas at the same time as i lose weight? i worry that i will have loose skin in the end although i have read it isnt as common because of the food and the time it takes vs the more crazy things like surgery ..

ive been heavy my whole life, and was around 210 for a while but it took working out 2-3 hours a day and i dont have time for that anymore with my family ...i was also eating TONS of carbs.. im the only guy i know that went on carb diets where i had only sphagetti and plain sauce for months at a time and lost a lot of weight .. so i think without the carbs and sugars i can keeep the weight off with less effort once i get to a good weight (around 210-220 for me and my frame im good with)..

anyways .. what are some decent excercises for someone tahts outta shape to help that area of the body?

thanks guys .. this site has changed my life

bluepelican is offline Member
    There are a ton of different bodyweight exercises that you can do. I'd say that the PB Fitness eBook is a good place to start since it covers variations of different exercises based on how in or out of shape you are.

CaveMama is offline Member
    Check out this website. Congrats on your success and good luck in your continued journey.

one hundred push ups

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    what is the best thing i can do to slowly tone these areas at the same time as i lose weight?

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveMama View Post
    Check out this website. Congrats on your success and good luck in your continued journey.

one hundred push ups
    I know that was meant for the OP, but thanks! I'm going to start Monday. I took the initial test and I can do 2!
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

szorn is offline Member
    As was previously mentioned- if you can't go to a gym or just don't want to because of cost, time etc. then bodyweight exercises can suit your needs. The PB Fitness program is a great place to start. If you don't want to start there, just focus on basic exercises like push-ups and rows. If you don't have the strength to perform full push-ups and full inverted rows, then begin with the easiest versions like wall pushups, and rows in a door way (just make sure the frame is strong enough to perform the rows. You may also wan to invest in some rubber resistance tubes or straps. These will allow you to perform various upper body exercises like presses, rows, etc.

Steve

Cal. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    anyways .. what are some decent excercises for someone tahts outta shape to help that area of the body?
    You need to exercise your whole body. Exercising for spot reduction doesn't work. I'd recommend the beginners' course in You Are Your Own Gym (that'll only cost you the price of the book, nothing else).

That's just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

EDIT
    Hey js290, Nice videos, thank you.
    /EDIT
    Last edited by Cal.; 08-20-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    push ups and pull ups are your best and easiest bet

just read the primal blueprint fitness book. its free and easy to follow the progressions
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    Another book is Convict Conditioning which is similar to the PB fitness program.

Another is simple fit.org.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What you eat is about 8 times more important than your exercise routine. Keep walking and do your exercises, but take measurements as well. Your diet will help you lose fat. The exercise will build muscle. Ignore the scale and watch for a downward trend in your bodyfat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast