Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray's Leangains Journey page 3

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Week 5 Progress Update

Weight: 142.1 (-1.6, -4.5 overall)
    BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.6% (-2.4% overall)
    Waist: 30.3" (-0.2", -0.9" overall)
    Stomach: 30.3" (-0.3", -1.3" overall)

Progress photos at my site.

5 weeks in without breakfast! Fasts ranged from 15.5 hours to 17.5 this week.

Despite boozing pretty hard last Saturday and not getting much LISS cardio in (only a 1/2 hour walk), I actually exceeded last week's weight loss and continue to see my BF % steadily creep down. Must be doing something right! I really credit Fitday tracking, hitting daily macros and the elimination of fruits & nuts as in between meal snacks. I still do fruit on workout days but otherwise, nope, and that keeps me under 100 g of carbs easily.

Intermittent fasting and leangains clearly is playing a role of course, but it seems that by tracking daily intake, successes are starting to come faster!

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Kind of felt like a cheat day yesterday so had a few of my favorite non-primal foods:

A couple tacos, a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy's and a big bowl of ice cream... Probably ended up around 20-25% above maintenance and still hit protein goals. Actually dusted off my bench yesterday for the first time in a couple years as I wasn't in the mood to deal with Tony Horton yesterday.

Back in action today with 1,508 calories, 70 g of fat, 77 g of carbs, 141 g of protein and a quick bike ride. Now that I'm finally on a little bit of a roll, I'm getting more and more excited about what's to come.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Ray, great work! Your progress photos show excellent results since last month. Scalloping of abs due to reduced visceral fat and stronger triceps are quite visible. Your caloric discipline is paying the bills. Keep it coming, I am inspired!

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Thanks man! Definitely floundered a little at first but since managing intake things seem to be moving faster (had to battle a little impatience early on, especially when you see some of the crazy LG transformations out there). Hoping the next month's progress is even better!

Cals a touch low the past two days, barely exceeding 1,400 yesterday and brushing 1,500 today. I was a little lethargic, but more from fighting stress and a possible cold. With a custom p90x workout tomorrow, I'm going to try and bump up to closer to 1,700 and carbs around 125-150.

The big 'discovery' the past few days has been Protein Fluff! ON Cookies & Cream Casein, 1/2 c Almond Milk and use a hand mixer for about 10 min and wow! Great great stuff especially if you refrigerate it for a little first. Nice way to top off a day.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Week 6 Progress Update

Weight: 141.8 (-0.3, -4.8 overall)
    BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.3% (-2.7% overall)
    Waist: 30" (-0.3", -1.2" overall)
    Stomach: 30" (-0.3", -1.5" overall)

6 weeks in, no major issues with IF aside from "cold hands". Weight loss I suppose is "disappointing" but I think I'm a BM away from that 0.3 ticking up a little, and all three body fat monitor checks came in down 0.3, 0.3 and 0.4% from last week. Not too bad. Diet was in check most of the week and last Saturday's cheat was pretty tame in comparison to the prior two. Kept calories around 1,400-1,500 on rest days and bumped up to 1,700 on Wednesday's workout day. The only unknown was Friday due to a work event, which had a plethora of bad food to choose from.

No LISS cardio aside from a 25 min bike ride Sunday and got in weights workouts last Saturday and Wednesday. I think I've taken the "not working out too much" almost to the other extreme! With nothing but rain this past week and upcoming this weekend, I may have to start layering in an INSANITY workout or two (perhaps as morning fasted cardio) or something to get me moving. I could also opt for p90x's tamer "Kenpo X" or "Cardio X" as well..

Besides just generically wanting a six pack, the big motivating force behind this journey is I have a Carribean vacation scheduled just after Christmas with a big group of friends and I want to be in the best shape of my life for it!! I figure I have three months to shave off about 10-12 lbs (assuming no LBM losses) and probably at least another 4-6% BF. Based on current progress that would seem to be within reach!!

Progress photos from last week at my site.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Week 7 Progress Update

Weight: 141.1 (-0.7, -5.5 overall)
    BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.6% (-3.3% overall)
    Waist: 29.8" (-0.2", -1.4" overall)
    Stomach: 29.8" (-0.2", -1.7" overall)

Got my first 20 hour fast in on Thursday - I wanted to see if I could push to the full 24 but had a scavenger hunt as part of a work retreat (really) and didn't want to risk zonking out in front of coworkers. Since I figured the dinner that followed would be a disaster, I had decided in advance to skip lunch. In the end, options were decent so I just piled my plate with lobster and chicken and downed with a couple glasses of wine. Felt like I ate like a king and probably still came in around 1,500 calories for the day!

A little more cardio this week - a lot of walking during said scavenger hunt and did an INSANITY workout on Sunday to get the heart rate up. Swapped the usual p90x for p90x+ workouts this week... not a huge fan of the +. Too much movement, a lot less focus compared to the regular workouts.

With the waistline creeping down, I'm now ready to retire 1 pair of work pants and seem to now be able to dust off a couple of pairs that haven't fit in years!

----------

I haven't really spent as much time talking about my daily diet, but here is what it has settled down to be on weekdays, in the last 3 weeks especially:

Lunch (12 pm):
    "Big ass salad" - Romaine lettuce, grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, green peppers, broccoli, cauliflower
    Newman's Own Sesame Ginger Dressing
    Olive Oil (1.5 tbsp) - rest days only
    Peanut Butter Co. - Dark Chocolate Dreams (2.5 tbsp)
    Banana - weights day

Dinner (7 pm) - Rest Days
    Whey Protein Shake with So Delicious Coconut Milk, Green Vibrance, ON Whey, Cayenne Pepper, Cinnamon
    Turkey Burger(s), Lean Chicken Breasts or Occasionally Salmon
    Green Giant Vegetables
    Protein Fluff (ON Casein Cookies & Cream or ON Casein Chocolate PB)
    1/2 cup of So Delicious Vanilla Bean "Ice Cream" (No Sugar Added) - depends on macros

Dinner (7 pm) - Weights Days (some of this is eating pre-workout, some of it post)
    Whey Protein Shake with Almond Milk, Frozen Mixed Berries, Green Vibrance, ON Whey, Cayenne Pepper, Cinnamon
    Turkey Burger(s) or Lean Chicken Breasts
    Green Giant Vegetables
    Harvest Sweet Potato Patty
    So Delicious Ice Cream - Standard

Saturdays I eat a little more crap (lately Ben & Jerry's) and Sundays I usually still try to track via fitday (even though I end up with one meal out with family/friends) and ensure I hit my rest day macros.

I also usually do 1 takeout day during the week, which is always a Chipotle Salad - no rice, no beans, just fajita vegetables, chicken or steak, mild salsa and guacamole. So good.
    Last edited by Ray-NJ; 10-01-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Even though I've been doing this quite comfortably for seven weeks, I'm still looking for ways to make things "better". And in some ways, by better, I mean more compliant both to primal living and the leangains protocol.

I've been using p90x as my workout regiment for 3 years now, mainly because it's convenient and I can do from the confines of my own bedroom with a pull-up bar and select tech dumbbells. But what it does is kind of go against everything that Martin preaches on LG as well as what Mark recommends here at MDA. p90x, with frequent movement and limited weights, really ends up being more of an aerobic routine.

Plus, in looking over thread after thread of LG success stories at Martin's site and bodybuilding.com, nearly all successes come from those who lift heavy, stay away from chronic cardio (as I have done) and keep it simple. Therefore, I think I'm going to move toward a Starting Strength routine 2-3 times a week consisting of simple, compound movements with the goal of adding weight to my lifts each week and getting stronger in addition to getting leaner.

I think what this means is I'll finally, officially, be doing Leangains!
    Last edited by Ray-NJ; 10-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Ray, I think that's a good call! Moderate weights done with prolonged intensity can get results, but attacking the super-heavy compound lifts will shift your body composition like nothing else. I think you will be very pleased. Hope you let us know what you think of Starting Strength.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    That's what I'm hoping! I've never been a squats/deadlifts guy and have had both knee and lower back issues so I'm going to be attacking both slowly. Bench is going to be modest up front but I have much less trepidation there.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Week 8 Progress Update

Weight: 139.9 (-1.1, -6.6 overall)
    BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.3% (-3.6% overall)
    Waist: 29.5" (-0.3", -1.7" overall)
    Stomach: 29.4" (-0.4", -2.1" overall)

Complete fitday tracking from Sunday-Friday, first time I've been able to say that in a few weeks, without some annoying work outings to deal with! Real happy to be back in the 130s for the first time since mid-2004, but I have a higher muscle mass base this time around. While BF is down marginally in the 3-pt test, my body fat scale showed no change as did my hand-held Omron, which actually showed a +0.3% increase. Not good, but not worried.. yet.

Got in two starting strength workouts on Saturday and again on Wednesday. My lifts are pathetic with squads/deads less than bench but I have to be careful. Wednesday's squats mildly re-aggravated my ITBS (iliotibial band syndrome), which I've largely managed recently (even before reducing running) after a terrible 2010. As an aside, always make sure you buy the right shoes! After a change in shoe size a couple years ago, I decided to change brands/models and it was a disaster that I've paid for ever since!

Overall, I'm still pretty excited. With IIFYM and SS, I'm now weaving in a little B&J's very non primal ice cream PWO on my lower fat, higher carb days. I'm also not going too high fat as I did in the early days of primal, looking back I think I must have been ending up around 100 g for the day with all the nuts and coconut oil and olive oil (now I'm between 65-75 g on rest days regularly). Also, this is the first time I've ever really focused on weight loss during the Fall. Year after year after year, it has always started in January just following a damaging holiday season and prompted by new year's resolutions. I feel like I'm so far ahead of the game going into 2012 and have put myself in a position for real success!
    Last edited by Ray-NJ; 10-08-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast