Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray's Leangains Journey page 2

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Week 3 Progress Update

Weight: 145.2 (-0.6, -1.4 overall)
    BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.3% (-1.2% overall)
    Waist: 30.9" (-0.2")
    Stomach: 31.1" (-0.4") !
    Legs, Chest & Arms (no change)

Workouts this week included 1/2 p90x routines "Chest & Back" and "Legs & Back" with two LISS sessions - a walk on Wednesday and biking to/from the beach yesterday.

Diet was not at its best with Irene throwing off my Sunday, a slice of carrot cake on Wednesday (however, easily half the size of the slices my coworkers were mowing down!), and bar food (asian steak wrap and sweet potato fries) washed down with a Coors Light last night. All things considered, still showing slow, but steady progress anyway! My stomach suddenly deflating was also pretty sweet.

Maybe things would be moving faster without these slip-ups, but overall I can't say I'm not pleased!

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Ran straight into a dietary brick wall in the firm of a labor day BBQ. Had a few too many drinks, chips and a couple of cupcakes! But I'm not stressing about it, since I ate a little less the day before (purposely) and don't intend on bad eating spilling into today.

I usually allot myself a cheat day anyway, and while I'm seeing less of a need for one, it's probably not bad to throw my body off it's game every now and then. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing!

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Figured I'd post a snapshot of my intake today, since I've been pretty vague about it so far --

Everything's out of order, but basically you're seeing a big salad with chicken for lunch and a crab cake + broccoli for dinner, with whey and PB filling in the rest. Usually I estimate I'm around 1,700-1,800, but minus the fruit and mixed nuts (which I just didn't need today) I actually struggled to bump things up towards the end of the day. With all that fat, I'm pretty full, so I threw down a second glass of whey to get me over 1,400 and get the protein up a bit more.

I may try and stay a little lower on non-weights days this week since I'll be going out both Fri and Sat nights... I think I can offset Friday night's damage easily during the day, but I think Saturday I'm just going to plan to be a write off.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but I am enjoying tracking on fitday again. With a fairly set diet during the week, so far I find myself thinking less about what I'm going to eat, whether I am over or under estimating intake, etc. It also reduces impulses so I don't have to record it.

In general, kicking out the daily fruit, dark chocolate and nuts has definitely helped kick mid-afternoon cravings. Now I eat big at lunch and dinner and feel fully satisfied.

A little anxious to see the scale this Saturday - I feel like there's gotta be some movement!

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Week 4 Progress Update

Weight: 143.7 (-1.5, -2.9 overall)
    BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.6% (-1.8% overall)
    Waist: 30.5" (-0.1", -0.7" overall) - *recalibrated
    Stomach: 30.6" (-0.1", -1" overall) - *recalibrated
    Legs, Chest & Arms (no change)

*I bought Myotape this week and found I've been over-estimating most of my measurements by as much as 1/2"! Obviously it's not real progress that my waistline is suddenly a half inch smaller but it still feels like I'm now that much closer to goal!

Workouts this week included 1/2 p90x routines "Chest & Back" and "Shoulders & Arms" with some walking and a lot of recreational biking over Labor Day weekend. It was a washout during the week, so I didn't get any cardio in. I admit I miss running a little right now!

Food intake was better after the holiday weekend ended - in the last 10 days or so I've started eating fruit only on workout days and phased out mid-afternoon snacks by replacing mixed nuts and dark chocolate with 2 tbsp of Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter immediately following lunch. I've also become more conscious of "If it fits your macros," trying to ensure at least 1 g of protein per LBM and ~0.5 g of fat per pound on rest days while upping the carbs to around 150 g and lowering the fat on workout days.

Friday, I got trapped in a "forced" pot luck lunch at work with an abundance of remarkably bad options! I minimized damage during the day and then proteined-up for dinner and think I netted out ok!

Gotta say, happy to finally see both my weight and body fat move, with my biggest 1 week weight loss of the 4 weeks. While I'm sure there's error in the BF measurements, the trend shows 100% fat loss with no LBM loss whatsoever! My body fat numbers through the skin caliper test are laughably low, so I also picked up an Omron fat loss monitor which pegs me at, even more ridiculous, 10.5%. But I'll be using that to track weekly progress as well.

In any event, based on on-and-off tracking over 8 years, I'm also now at my lowest weight and BF since 2006!!
    Last edited by Ray-NJ; 09-10-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Saturday's party was a total loss -- got a little banged up on Dude Vodka Sprites and Bud Light Lime Bombs, BBQ fare and it went well into the night. Hard to say, but probably somewhere in the neighbor of 3,000-3,500 calories..yikes!

Sunday was a lethargic hangover day and without "needing" to have breakfast OR lunch (after all the food Sat.), I still maintained a 16 hour fast. Based on fitday tracking, I came in just over 1,000 calories and came reasonably close to daily fat/protein goals. In the past, I would have feared having such a low calorie day, but if I don't need it, why eat it?

Today was back to the usual (fitday below) - big salad for lunch with the Dark Choco PB as a snack and a healthy-sized dinner - A Turkey Burger, Chicken, Guac, Asparagus with Chobi Yogurt dressing (mixed with ranch seasoning). With room to spare with the macros, I'm going to have some So Delicious Coconut-Milk based ice cream for dessert! I can't believe i'm on a "diet"!

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Ray, as a fellow Leangains follower, your journal interests me greatly. I'm just starting the 16th week of a lifting program I mostly cribbed from Leangains, and although I haven't measured myself or counted calories, the results have been very good indeed. From the results you're getting after only four weeks, you are on an awesome trajectory. I have a couple of questions if you care to answer...

What is your lifting schedule? Is it all P90x or do you do barbell work like Martin describes?
    Have you tried Martin's alcohol protocol as described on his site (lots of veggie carbs, very low fat, high booze)?

As to your questions in your initial posts, I definitely don't do cheat days. It messes with my metabolism and makes life generally difficult. In fact, if I even eat breakfast, I turn into a food vacuum for the rest of the day. But maybe that's just me.

The main pitfall I discovered is that if you're killing it in the weight room, you need to respect your rest days. I was alternating lifting days with cardio days (being impatient to see results) and I hit a plateau about six weeks in. When I took some unscheduled rest days a month later, I crashed right through the plateau. Now my non-weight days consist of sunbathing, sledgehammering (as a mild traction/recovery exercise), and occasionally a very light jog/walk.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Hey, happy to answer.

Just p90x for now - I used to do cycles of it but this year and also lately with LG, I've cut the workouts in half and just go a little harder through the first half. So it's not really following LG exactly - I'll see how it goes and if it seems to be holding me back I may have to re-evaluate. Rest isn't really a problem so far, if anything I feel like I'm slacking off a little just doing it 2-3x week. I've also cut out running, replacing it with occasional walks and bike rides.

With alcohol, both times in the last couple weeks I started out with good intentions but ended up having a lot of sugary and refined carbs. We'll see how this week's weigh in goes after last Sat night... I'm still torn on cheat days - I don't think I'm going to go nuts like Ferriss in the 4 hour body, but I still like the idea of being a little less restrictive once a week (and also making sure a heavier workout falls on that day).

What are you goals and how are your results so far? Do you stick to 16/8 eating or do you mix up times or even take a break once in awhile?

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Ray, if your performance is improving, then clearly your rest is adequate. I was just a little slow to realize that after six weeks of being unable to increase my deadlift, bench and squat, maybe I was overtraining a wee bit.

And I know what you mean about feeling like a slacker if you only work out 2-3 times a week. It feels weird to me too. I often feel like if I can walk without pain, I should be getting out there daily... and then I see some fit jogger running by while I'm sitting in my car, and I feel like a total spud. But I can't deny that cutting down the frequency of my workouts has led to major improvements. I guess it all depends on the intensity.

I also agree that it's good to let down your dietary guard a bit once in a while and eat as much as you like. But I think where people go astray is that rather than just eating large amounts of good things, they eat actual poison like sugar or grain or trans fats. Some people might be able to handle that once in a while, but I don't think it helps.

My goals (besides getting a ripped six-pack; that goes without saying) are to maximize my strength in five moves: deadlift, chinup, bench, dip, and squat. I feel like those are a pretty good cross-section of full-body strength. This will take years, so I have a few tiers:

1) Eat-Move-Improve Level 1 competency (all completed except for squat, which is almost done)
    2) Parity with Richard Nikoley (closing in fast)
    3) Eat-Move-Improve Level 2 competency (far off for the most part, but I am within a whisker of the dip goal and should be there tomorrow)
    4) Eat-Move-Improve Level 3 competency (a distant goal that I hope to achieve in this lifetime)
    5) Martin Berkhan's criteria for a "highly advanced" lifter (similar to #4)

Here are links to those numbers:

Skill Guidelines for Building Strong, Useful, Adaptable Athletes | Eat. Move. Improve.
    Leangains: Martin Berkhan’s Workout Approach | Free The Animal
    10 Random Thoughts On Weight Training: Part Two | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

I stick to 16/8 eating on lifting days, but on rest days it's usually 22/2 (single meal at dinner). I like to go for a 36-hour fast once every couple of weeks, which gives me crazy strength when I lift at the end of that window. Fasting this much doesn't feel like a hardship because I really put away the calories when I do eat. Prior to Leangains I was doing 22/2 pretty much daily.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow! So you're well into IF in general. When I started, a 24 hour fast seemed unthinkable but now I know I could make it work, though I haven't tried it out just yet. If I have a "pig out" kind of day one of these Saturday, I may try to counter with a 24 hour fast to Sunday evening to balance it out. The amazing thing is I just don't miss breakfast. The biggest change for me was putting away the Raisin Bran Crunch in January - making eggs in the morning is a PITA and I don't miss it.

Great links, thanks for posting! I think once I get my BF down to lower levels, I may start to get into more "authentic" LG workouts and try to build more muscle. Hopefully by then Martin's book will be out too. Great to have goals outside the purely superficial (the latter is only what I have at the moment.. haha).

Diet wise, the week's gone well so far and I think I should net out ok for Saturday's update. Today I got in a quick walk around lunch time and put together a p90x Chest, Back & Legs workout since I haven't done anything since Saturday. Hoping to get a few bike rides in this weekend with cool, sunny weather ahead! And no boozing this weekend!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast