Page 84 of 643 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184584 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 84

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't want to clean today, I want to put on a pair of comfy pj's, curl up under a big comforter, and read a good book. That is what I would do if I was single or if everyone was out of town. Unfortunately, DH's love language is 'service' and he really likes a clean house, and he will be home in a couple of hours, and so, I clean. Rats.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    GREAT job on another day of loss AND not eating all of your soup!!!

I hear you. Maybe if you are fast, you'll still have time? I'm cleaning house, too (in between massive meal prep). DHs love language is touch, but it is followed by service...cooking and cleaning. Since I'm going to be gone so much next week, I'm trying to do both because I know he likes it (and, I'm about to get to the point where touch is almost unbearable...so, while this isn't quite the same as what he really needs, it does make him happy).

Do you like basketball? I don't mind, especially if it's live.

My brother is (well was) a basketball player. And I actually dated a couple of his coaches (brother is younger, and the coaches were young for their positions). So I spent a lot of time at basketball games in high school. I used to keep the official book (who scored, fouled, assisted, etc for both teams) when he was in middle school. I actually really understand the game and I think that helps. I do prefer live, but if my team is playing I will watch it on tv as well. But basically I go cause DH enjoys it.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Have you let the church know what you want/need to keep this going? I would remind them of their initial purpose for this service and make a plan for an upcoming service and let them know your vision (if you have not already done so). I have noticed that many churches/non-profit type groups take advantage of those with talent. I often wonder why they expect to pay for computer/technical support but expect creative support to be cheap/free. Good for you for making boundaries. If you don't value your time and talent, most others wont either.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    ooo.. sorry your tummy is not feeling so well. Hope TOM packs his bags soon. Awesome that you got to paint! What your doing for and at the church sounds great.

you know, letting go of the clean plate club is accomplishment! Well done!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Mudflinger, I think I have, but maybe am not communicating it fully. At the end of the theme, the leader is supposed to do a critique of what went well and what could be changed. I doubt they have kept up with it, but will be doing one for sure.

It is very difficult to know how to charge for creative services. I painted murals for a while and charged $75 an hour, but that included paint and I didn't start to charge until we had agreed upon a design. I was a hairdresser for a while and it was hard to charge for things like highlights, and color because they really took a lot of time and I thought people would not be able to afford them. Then one day my mentor basically told me that you have to determine what your time, talent, knowledge, and skill are worth, the client has to decide if they are willing to pay. I sort of have to keep reminding myself of that because I do enjoy doing it.

My current position is basically part-time, clerical, which I took basically because DH wanted me to start bringing in a pay check (that is a long story, some day...). anyway, there is a slight possibility that this job will eventually get to be expanded and include event planning as we are renovating to allow rental of part of our property. And that is very exciting to me. It will still likely be part-time, and allow for me to do the church gig part time as well, and the church thing is basically time flexible as would the event planning part of my current position. And DH would be happy, because 3 part-time positions would bring in enough money that it would pay for 2 kids in college.
    Chris
    Unknown

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the loss, I was gifted with one today as well.

TOM can be so tough. It sets off powerful emotions and powerful physical cravings. Thanks to you, now I always think of two things...1)What is my body's unfulfilled nutritional/physical need that is driving this urge? 2) What is going on emotionally/psychologically. Today I am super dehydrated, tired, unscheduled and bored. So I am drinking water, napping, completing small tasks. I may even be done eating for the day because my body demanded a really big lunch and now I'm not terribly hungry.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Chris- I tried on the suits.. they are a bit too small. I feel like I am at an in-between size so I hope to be in them soon!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Mudflinger, I think I have, but maybe am not communicating it fully. At the end of the theme, the leader is supposed to do a critique of what went well and what could be changed. I doubt they have kept up with it, but will be doing one for sure.

It is very difficult to know how to charge for creative services. I painted murals for a while and charged $75 an hour, but that included paint and I didn't start to charge until we had agreed upon a design. I was a hairdresser for a while and it was hard to charge for things like highlights, and color because they really took a lot of time and I thought people would not be able to afford them. Then one day my mentor basically told me that you have to determine what your time, talent, knowledge, and skill are worth, the client has to decide if they are willing to pay. I sort of have to keep reminding myself of that because I do enjoy doing it.

My current position is basically part-time, clerical, which I took basically because DH wanted me to start bringing in a pay check (that is a long story, some day...). anyway, there is a slight possibility that this job will eventually get to be expanded and include event planning as we are renovating to allow rental of part of our property. And that is very exciting to me. It will still likely be part-time, and allow for me to do the church gig part time as well, and the church thing is basically time flexible as would the event planning part of my current position. And DH would be happy, because 3 part-time positions would bring in enough money that it would pay for 2 kids in college.
    I totally get where you are coming from. I have always been an artist, but people don't want to pay for it. I was a highly paid engineer years ago (before kids) and while using much of the same skill set, I succeeded massively. When we decided to have kids I remember someone saying "why would you pay someone with less skill to raise your kids" and that really stuck, so I became a SAHM. Luckily, I have a rocket scientist/engineer hubby who takes good care of us financially. It is sad how skewed our society really is as to value - I mean teachers are the most important to our future, but that is another discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    I totally get where you are coming from. I have always been an artist, but people don't want to pay for it. I was a highly paid engineer years ago (before kids) and while using much of the same skill set, I succeeded massively. When we decided to have kids I remember someone saying "why would you pay someone with less skill to raise your kids" and that really stuck, so I became a SAHM. Luckily, I have a rocket scientist/engineer hubby who takes good care of us financially. It is sad how skewed our society really is as to value - I mean teachers are the most important to our future, but that is another discussion!
    I am totally with ya on teachers/cops/firefighters etc being disgustingly underpaid!!!!

We decided, for exactly the same reason, that I would be a SAHM. I got pregnant right after I got my degree, we decided to hold off on my career. Dh does well enough financially that it was reasonable, we don't "need" me to go to work, but if I don't the college payments are going to cut significantly into our retirement possibilities.

p.s. I like knowing (sort of) someone who actually is a rocket scientist (it is what my son wants to do basically)
    Chris
    Unknown