Page 620 of 666 FirstFirst ... 120520570610618619620621622630 ... LastLast
Results 6,191 to 6,200 of 6651

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 620

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I love poking around old things. So much history there, it is fun imagining the people who used them.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    It also fits in with my sense of re-use/re-purpose.

Sad my friend is gone now. Wedding reception for someone I don't actually know is tonight. Tomorrow is the bridal shower. Monday is lunch with my old boss. Lots of social stuff going on, weigh is holding pretty steady, though I haven't weighed yet this morning.

The house got a surge during a lightening storm. the only thing I have found that got damaged is one outlet in the kitchen. It is the outlet I used to plug my computer into (luckily it was unplugged at the time of the storm). But I have moved it upstairs now, so my morning routine has changed slightly, and the scale is downstairs, so I end up weighing myself as I change clothes, which is after I get on the computer instead of before.

So on top of the bridal shower today, I got an invitation to a lingerie shower for this young lady in 2 weeks (how the heck do you buy bras and panties for someone else?), then of course there is the wedding registry itself. My daughter and I have been talking about this and are mildly appalled at the materialism that has become the process of getting married. Besides the showers, there is of course the wedding and 'tea and cake' reception, then the private reception two hours later, and then the after party. She has gotten a different dress for each of the 3 parties on the day of the wedding! I hope that we don't fall into this trap when my daughter gets married.

Anyway, last night was nice, just a small house party to celebrate one of Honey's colleagues getting married. I like his co-workers, so it was pleasant to get to catch up with everyone and what their kids are up to. Unfortunately, it was stinking hot, they had left the doors open to the back porch, it had been in the high 90's yesterday, and I had not dressed accordingly. I was sweating my brains out, kind of embarrassing really. I had a small taste of a few of the more interesting looking desserts, yummy.

I am down to the kitchen in a few minutes to start dipping cake balls in chocolate. I like doing this in the morning because my resolve and will power are stronger than if I try to do it later in the day. Now I just need to keep Honey out of them!

canio6 Guest
    Good lord, 3 dresses? 3 parties? Wow.

At least the house party was nice, besides the heat and interesting desserts are always fun. Good luck on your cakeball resolve!

3 dresses for one day?? That is a tad too much I could not make those cake balls without indulging. You are very very brave

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

the thing about the whole 3 dresses thing is that this family is all into "greening" it (the mom-my BFF- has hinted to me that using paper towels is kind of wasteful-I hinted back that it was more sanitary), and honestly don't have much disposable income. At the same time my friend who just visited has a son who is getting married. Both of those families are VERY comfortable. 1 dress, 1 reception, 1 couples shower, the brides parents just wrote a check and said this is how much we are willing to kick in, if you go over it is on you, so their whole affair will cost less than the family with way less money. weird stuff.

I will be wearing a surgical mask for the dipping! And I don't have any extras to be munching on! And Honey went to work so I don't have to fight him off of them, so it is all good!

Funny how we don't see our own hypocrisy I am just as guilty so trying not to throw stones.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

I am sure I have plenty of my own

so finished dipping them all, did not eat a single one, no "testing the chocolate" either! And I didn't even have my surgical mask, I have run out, so I did it all just with will power. Well actually just reminding myself not to do it. Certain this would not work between 2:30 and 4:30 in the afternoon (my witching hour), but it worked at 9 to 10 am.

4 dozen for the party, 1 dozen for dinner we are going to next week, and 4 left for Honey when he gets home from work.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    You go, girl! Very proud of you. Not sure I could do that

Wealthy people are often somewhat frugal. I'm not wealthy, but my husband and I are fairly secure. People (including my kids) always comment on my husband and my spending habits. We started out with a lot of debt and have never had any help (in fact, we help everyone else). But, we don't have cable. We're not crazy couponers, but we use them when we have them. We watch for sales. We save up and pay cash. We have no debt. We do try to buy quality, though, where it matters and cheap stuff where it doesn't. Then people comment about it. Well, one of the reasons we don't have debt (aside from delaying starting our family) is because we do make choices (including sacrifices) about what to spend on.

All that wedding stuff. Wow. We'll give our boys some money and then they and their bride will be responsible for the rest. I've never heard of all that stuff!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My Honey makes pretty decent money, but he has worked 12 hour days, 6 to 7 days a week the entire time we have been married. Most of our vacations have been family visits or around work trips for him. We are like you, sacrifices are made to stay out of debt. Not so much sacrifice that we don't enjoy life. But lots of thrifting of quality stuff.

I dearly hope my daughter doesn't go for this type of over the top stuff for her wedding. Truly it would be a major 180 from her current personality and general attitude.

Now, having said that, it was a lovely afternoon. I took the cake bites and Nutella Truffles and got them a copy of a bread baking cookbook and gave them a copy of their favorite recipes of mine.

I also ordered the gift for the lingerie shower (it is a Snow White PJ set, long story but she is into Disney princesses). And ordered her wedding gift (ice cream attachment for her Kitchenaid stand mixer).

On a final personal note... I have apparently lost just enough weight for people to start noticing. I got multiple comments on how good I look. Ego stroke is always nice.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.