Page 57 of 611 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157557 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 57

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yep. I am from Florida, and my immediate family all live there, so I actually go back home a few times a year. BUT, for Christmas for the past 4 years my family (myself, DH, DS, DD and last year and this her BF) go to St. George Island with my BFF and her DH, and 2 DD's and one boyfriend. This year my parents will join us for part of the week. We rent a big house, which is usually reasonably priced, and split it halvsies with BFF, we have a kitty for food purchases, and stay for a week. We eat in- fresh shrimp for dinner nightly, play cards, board games, do puzzles, and karaoke to the Wii (usually Glee and Disney). We take bikes, some of us are walkers instead, do lots of reading and knitting. Chatting over making dinner, watching old Christmas movies. The "kids" (junior in high school through 26 year old boyfriend) usually go to play bingo one night. In the early years we would go see the tree lighting downtown Appalachicola, but the rental is either Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday, so last year and this we will actually go Christmas to New Year's. One of the best weeks of my year!!!

Next year will be a problem. My DS will be a senior in high school and his break is not as long as the college kids. And Christmas is on a Monday, and BFF and their family have a big family gathering on Christmas Eve. So next year, may be just my family and if so we will do St. Augustine as we had that as our family tradition before we moved away from Florida. Stunning there!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I love St. Augustine. We went one year and really enjoyed ourselves. I want to go back, but the husband has so much less vacation time than I do.

We usually do something similar. The husband, dogs, and myself have gone to Lake Travis (near Austin, TX) and spent the week for the past several years. No phones, no cable, no internet (and thus, no work)...it's usually the highlight of my year. We're too far away this year, but are thinking of maybe going somewhere (warmish) in Arizona.

We have discussed several times that we could really just rent a house on a lake near by and thus save us the 10 hour drive, especially the year it rained nearly the whole week and we only saw the ocean for a very brief respite in the rain. But there is something to taking that long drive and being in another part of the country, that really makes it a vacation. We have our cells, and cable and roku/netflix, internet and computers, and DH will take his iPad, but everyone but him will actually be on vacation. DH is never really totally on vacation. I am unfortunately resigned to the fact that he is a type A workaholic, and is genetically pre-disposed to an early heart attack. Can't get him to go primal though, he has a world renowned cardiologist who gives the same old advice, even though we followed that advice for nearly our entire marriage, even to the point of becoming vegetarians for 2 long stretches and this is how he got to where he needed a "world renowned cardiologist" eee, sorry short rant, its over now.

Warm is nice, away is better!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

My husband is generally on board, although he gets a bit nervous that he's going to have a heart attack with all the fat I feed him. Now, if his doctor were to tell him it was the best thing since sliced bread, he'd be all over it I told him there was nothing in fruit he couldn't get from veggies (not that I necessarily have anything against fruit per se), and of course he didn't believe me until his doc told him to cut back a bit. Sigh... My mom thinks I'm crazy and just can't imagine not eating her junk. It's hard to keep my mouth shut, but I generally do with her (I'm less restrained with my husband, although I try hard not to nag...take a lot of effort on my part).

And yes, there is something about being away that makes it really feel like a vacation.

My parents have been doing Weight Watchers for years. But they pretty much do it primally, in the sense that they don't do anything "fake" or try to make things like a food (ie. no soy burgers), and they are very low grain. And they are very supportive. I was a nutrition major in college before I finally decided to switch to design (couldn't take one more prof who didn't speak English teaching my lab-so confused!) anyway. Dh has forgotten that. And his cardiologist sent him to a nutritionist who put him on SAD! to try to lose 30 pounds. Even though, he had just had a body xray (of sorts) done to give him his Lean Body Mass (as part of a research project at his wellness center), and it said he only had 15 pounds of fat he could lose. So the nutritionist basically was telling him to lose muscle! And he says to me "I don't want to talk about it" because he knows he just paid someone to feed him a crock of s*&t. So I just cook what I cook, and he will not cook, so he eats basically primally. Except now that dd is home she is a baker, and making junk nightly!
    Chris
    Unknown

Amazing how many changes we can implement by being the cooks in the house My mom eats better than she would on her own because she can barely muster up the energy to make breakfast...she does not like to cook. It's better than nothing...at least I know she's getting good protein and veggies...even if she supplements with crap.

I finally had to let it go. I do the best I can, and I keep the ingredients for other stuff if they are willing to cook it. Luckily DD is the only one who is, and she is usually away at college.

So I am sleepy but I can't fall asleep. I feel like I have an electrical current running through my body. Kind of how my mom describes her crazy leg syndrome, oh sorry, restless leg. Not painful, and not even uncomfortable, just not comfortable enough to fall asleep. I don't know what to do, I did some mild stretches and yoga positions, listened to a book on tape for a while, then came down to the computer, in other words basically gave up on sleeping tonight. But, I am starting to yawn, so I am going to try my whole bedtime routine, well the last half of it-don't want to wake up DH, and see if I can get some shut eye.
    Chris
    Unknown

257.6 so over the 2 days it is up another 1.6. It is crazy the ups and downs the scale manages. I admit to eating some chocolate on Tuesday, and while I stayed on track perfectly all day yesterday, the final frustration of not getting to fall asleep combined with the frosted sugar cookies having not been put away-still sitting on the counter, was a temptation I couldn't resist-I had 3 small cookies.

But seriously now, neither indiscretion brought either day up past my BMR, so yes, while I should not have lost, I should not have gained either. Oh, yes yes, I know the scale is not a good indicator really, and since the pants I was wearing yesterday were crazy loose, I am not really concerned....just really curious. Why is it when I follow my plan perfectly I will lose, if I am lucky 2 pounds a week, but if I veer off course even the slightest I gain weight, which takes 4 times as long to lose. And sometimes even perfectly following my plan, I gain weight, which still takes 4 times as long to lose?

I feel confident the scale was originally invented as an instrument of torture for women.

ok, enough silliness!

On plan today! After work I have to go to the mall. I have not had to go to the mall in years. It is literally only a mile away from my house in physical distance, but light years away in actual presence! Santa puts PJ's in my kids stockings every year and DS has gotten too tall for the ones that Target carries, so I have to go to the mall for better quality ones that will be longer. We got a new Nordstoms this year, so I may see if they are having pre-Christmas specials that would make the bottoms affordable and just get a t-shirt to go with them from Target, since I have to go to Target this week as well!

DH just told me last night that he may want to drive down to Florida with us. He has a private pilot's license and is part owner of a plane, which he usually takes on this trip. There are a couple of issues with him driving with us. the main one being it will be a very tight fit to get him and his stuff into the car. We have an old highlander, there is not a lot of cargo room there. The original passenger list is me, DS, DD, and DD's BF, who by the way is 6'7" tall. The other issue is that DH doesn't like to have music on in the car. It is a 10 hour drive people-with no music. The kids will have their iPods and earphones, but I will do all the driving and won't be able to wear earphones. A good chance to chat with DH you say, not so much, he is very hard of hearing and would not wear his hearing aids in the car. Heat bothers his skin, so no heater. He likes to stop to eat in restaurants that serve you, we don't want to waste the time we want to get there. I think you can see why he usually flies while we drive! Ahhh, Merry Christmas!
    Chris
    Unknown

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Oh No, so sorry . Hope he changes his mind. My husband can also be a huge bummer under certain circumstances...so I totally understand.

We must all pray for good weather on Christmas day! That is the deciding factor.
    Chris
    Unknown