Page 55 of 601 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155555 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 55

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, I drink Natural calm in my tea nightly. 2-3 teaspoons. The crazy thing is that if everyone would leave me alone, I would sleep fine (OK, I am not in bed long enough). It is the constant action of the restless night owl husband. Cats scratching to get into and out of bedrooms. A dog that just had surgery and is wearing a very noisy plastic cone, a seven yr old who crawls into our bed in the middle of the night. We live in a 3 bedroom ranch on one floor. There is no escape. Maybe ear plugs, but I don't like not being able to hear at all.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Yes, I drink Natural calm in my tea nightly. 2-3 teaspoons. The crazy thing is that if everyone would leave me alone, I would sleep fine (OK, I am not in bed long enough). It is the constant action of the restless night owl husband. Cats scratching to get into and out of bedrooms. A dog that just had surgery and is wearing a very noisy plastic cone, a seven yr old who crawls into our bed in the middle of the night. We live in a 3 bedroom ranch on one floor. There is no escape. Maybe ear plugs, but I don't like not being able to hear at all.
    as I read this @3:30am lol yup- I am awake
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    I hear you on the distractions! My husband is a night owl, my dogs are loud, and I am the lightest sleeper in the universe. I have a pretty loud, but consistent, fan in my room. It has helped immensely!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    255.4, down .8, we'll see, my loss is not linear by any stretch and when I go 3 days down I am sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Sleep, is a huge buggaboo. If you are not getting it the stress of worrying about not getting it is enough to keep you from getting it! I have a headband that has flat earphones in it... TOOKS Headphone Beanies, Headphone Headbands - Product Page I listen to weight loss meditations. (mostly Jon Gabriel and Paul McKenna) they are 30 minute ones, and if I wake up I turn it back on. I also have a fan that has a fairly loud consistent sound. This serves not only as another layer of white noise, it also keeps the room cool. I taught my children to go to each other when they had a bad dream or what ever. In fact, even though I have a boy and a girl, they slept in the same room-by choice- till we moved here when the oldest was a 6th grader and the youngest was a 4th grader. If your room is not pitch black I would also suggest an eye mask. Regarding the cats, why not leave the doors open a crack so they can get in or out, I have no answer for the dog except it will be over soon and if you do some serious white noise that is the kind of thing that you won't hear.

I know you know this, but really sleep is absolutely essential to weight loss, to good mental health, and to good physical health. Everyone in my family knows that I consider sleep sacred, short of an emergency you do not wake someone up, period. I went through a period right after my uncle died, when we moved into our new house, and the kids were very young, in which I did not get deep sleep for a very long time. I just got sicker and sicker and sadder and sadder until finally I had to see a psychiatrist. He put me on a very mild anti-depressant at 1/10th the normal dose, to help me sleep, to teach myself to get into REM again. It seemed miraculous. Once I got enough deep sleep, I began to very quickly heal, finish my grieving process, and be my happy self again. If you cannot handle this on your own do not be afraid to seek professional help.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    yeah for your drop! I am so proud of your achievements!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

I will look into your headphones. The cat who likes to come into my bedroom, purrs if I move in the night. Currently, I need to keep the bedroom door closed because the wood stove makes my room too hot.

One of the keys is just keeping my little guy from waking up. I need to make sure he goes to the bathroom before he goes to bed. This morning I heard him run to the bathroom at 3am, then he crawled in with me and his Dad. He is in a room with his 13 yr old brother.

Since I became Primal, I am even less of a fan of antidepressants. I've seen too many people on here who have only been hurt by them, not helped. I think your doctor was smart to use such a low dose. I'm glad it worked for you, but I likely will not seek them for myself. I may use 5htp again for a while though. I went through a bout of post partum depression after my last child which was probably caused by exactly the same thing...lack of sleep.

I need to do a little more sleep research to see if those times of lighter sleep shown by my monitor are normal or not. I do not remember waking up at all last night until Kevin crawled in with us. I feel tired today, but not down.

WOOHOO for the continued weightloss!!!
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 12-19-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Can the kitties get a room of their own, where you can't hear them (ie. basement, pantry, bathroom?) I have never had cats so don't know a thing about this, a dog would I think just tear up a room if it wanted out, a cat would probably do the same?

wonder if there is a reward system you could work out if the little guy would go back to his room after his potty break, or at least not come into your room.

I actually think the dose on the anti-depressant was so low that it was almost a placebo, looking back on it.

If you wore headphones, and a mask, would it be better if Kevin were already in bed (with his laptop and a pair of headphones for himself), than if he came to bed in the middle of the night?

In the end you may just have to be in bed long enough to make up for the waking periods, so you can still get you deep sleep. Maybe as you monitor it, you can see how long you are asleep before you get into a deep sleep and time getting into be accordingly. In other words, if it takes you 4 hours, and you are going to bed at 11, then the 3 am wake up is happening right as you would be going into the deep sleep, so then it might be better to get into bed at say 10 to allow yourself some quality before being awaken.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

It looks as if what I am seeing on the monitor may be normal cycles, but they are just not long enough (an hour instead of 1hr 30 min). There was an interesting recommendation to try to sleep in multiples of 90 min. So, if I am in bed by 8:30-asleep by 9:00, that gives me the potential for 5-90 min sleep cycles before I get up at 4:30 am. In reality, bedtime is usually more like 9:30.
    I need blackout curtains for my room. I tried the mask and it scared the crap out of me. I have a noise machine, but I was thinking of ear plugs.

I used to wear a CPAP machine (I now have a retainer, yeah!!!), but I tried to wear the mask, CPAP, and chin strap in the same night. OMG the nightmares about being kidnapped. I made blackout blinds the next day! The ear plugs kind of drive me crazy. Our room is really cold, and I started wearing the headband earphones when I was still wearing the CPAP. Between the cold room and the cold air blowing on my face I felt like I was in an igloo! (the CPAP has a heater but it made the mask get condensation which dripped on my face and felt like bugs crawling-which obviously woke me up with a start!).

Currently I still have the remainder of the sinus thing I had a few weeks back and I am snoring a bit, even with the retainer, because it is a different cause. So I am sleeping in the spare room. Which is unbelievably dark, quiet, and comfy. So I am sleeping great! Will have to go back to sharing a bed when we go on Christmas break.

Yep, the mornings I have to wake up at 5:30 I try to get in bed by 9-asleep by 9:30. Does that give you a full cycle or 2 or 3 before the boys disturb your sleep?
    Chris
    Unknown

256 this morning, up .6, ahh the bouncing ball that is my scale!

Tonight I am having a dinner meeting at my house. Will serve baked pasta, salad, garlic bread, and cake bites...I will eat the salad, I am not at all tempted by pasta or the bread, and as long as I don't have one cake bite I won't go crazy there. Most present will be high school seniors.

Crappy sleep last night, I forgot to turn on the fan and the room was warm enough to wake me up. *TMI Alert* I also had a pain in my side-just below my waist- woke up this morning with a totally gnarly intestine, and had a few extra visits to the bathroom. Not sure what caused this. I didn't go far enough off track yesterday to have any kind of reaction to food. And I don't think I am stressed enough to get the IBD to kick in. I will have to check with the rest of the family to see if anyone else is having trouble. I did eat out at lunch yesterday-had a burger on greens, possible its that, but it is more like 12 hours from eating that to the first reaction, which for me it is usually 6 to 8 hours if I am going to have a problem with something I ate. Tummy has been quiet for a couple of hours now, so hopefully it is all over.

today is supposed to be my EM day, but I will be pressed for time, so will do it tomorrow when I get home from work.
    Chris
    Unknown