Page 390 of 640 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400440490 ... LastLast
Results 3,891 to 3,900 of 6393

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 390

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    For my pickled beets I use the basic method from 'Nourishing Traditions'.
    Bake the beets for two hours, then peel off the skins.
    Cut into slices or strips as desired.
    Pack into a clean jar, leaving 1" head space.
    Add salt and whey. (Check book for proportions.)
    Screw on lid and let sit at room temperature for three days.
    Move to fridge.

Super easy, as you can see, and they taste wonderful. How do you do yours?

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I cook my beets in the crock pot until tender, peel and either slice or cut into desired pieces. I then use 1 c apple cider vinegar and then 1-1/2 c of 100% juice (my last batch was white grape, but apple juice or any other works as well-original recipe calls for OJ) and pickling spice and 1/4 tsp salt.

put beets in a jar, pour in the juice mixture, add @ 1 tsp of pickling spice (to taste-more or less depending how spicy you like them) per jar. Add onions if you like. add lids, store in fridge for 24 hours and then they are ready. SO GOOD. I could eat the whole jar if the bathroom episodes did not flip me out. LOL!

My recipe is an offshoot of this one Cooking Weekends: Easy Pickled Beets with Orange & Ginger
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

oh and on a side note, I finished the beets in a jar and put in some peeled hard boiled eggs for some pretty pickled eggs. I am going to try one tonight but it may need another day. I will let you know This is an adventure because I have never had them, but think they sure are pretty.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pickled_eggs/
    Karin

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Karin, for the coconut milk I don't use it as cream I use it more like milk, so I don't need it as creamy as cream and this waters down the coconut flavor, and cuts the calories down to about 30 for an 8oz glass. It ups the liquid content of my iced coffees.

For my down day smoothies, I use a cup of frozen spinach or kale, about 4" of a cuke if I have one, 1/2C frozen berries, 2T cottage cheese, 1C of the coconut milk, & stevia. And I use them when I walk in the door at 4:30. If I make one on up days, I still use the cup of spinach or kale, and the 4"of cuke, but I usually use a whole cup of berries, add a half a small banana, and 1/4C of the cottage cheese and 1C of the coconut milk, plus stevia. I usually use fat free cottage cheese because for these it doesn't make a taste difference and it saves the calories for the dd's. I like mine sweet because it kills the sweet craving for me.

Love love love pickled beets (well beets of any kind!!). I will have to start messing with that.

We went out yesterday and picked out my new computer. This will be the first time in my life that I will get a new computer. Mine in the past have always been DH's cast offs. And the one we have now, I shared with DS and DD and it is 9 years old. So very junked up! And slow slow slow. I am very excited. I get to pick it up on our Tax free weekend, so 2 weeks.

Food today. Not waiting till 4:30, it is an up day and I am trying out splitting my calories to see how that goes. Since I am technically supposed to have a bit over 2,000 I am wanting to get to where I eat less at each sitting. Friends brought me over some fresh picked peaches, and I had some beautiful mangoes. To that I added a cup of my "Company Chicken Salad" and a cup of marinated veggies. I am up to almost 800 calories between that and my coffees today. I think that is good. So I will have a nice dinner tonight with the hubs (DD is still in Spain, and DS is counseling at camp). And go to bed early!

Well this not getting on the computer at home really puts my journaling behind.

Ah well, I have kept up with the MFP, if not true tracking at least in the food notes.

Today is a down day, and I am going to pull a "Sabine" and try for a full liquid day. I have so much good stuff leftover from company yesterday I am afraid that if I eat anything I will have serious trouble keeping out of it.

Optimal Health Plan with Rumble Strips this is a reminder of my weekly goals...

1) FOOD, all I am "counting" is calories (sorry to those who think it isn't about the calories)
    -All carbs from veggies and seasonal fruits=No wheat and No sugar.
    -Fat fast till 4:30 most days (all calories from fat)
    -doing 3:2:2=
    --2 days of 550 calories or less
    --2 days of 1300 calories or less
    --4 days of thoughtful eating to hunger (about 2,100 calories)

2) DATA
    Weigh and Measure 1x/week (Saturdays) Track in journal or MFP.
    Track food every evening (check food rumble strips)

3) EXERCISE
    Working on N.E.A.T....for now, eventually add in Tabata
    -10,000 steps a day
    ---30 minutes on treadmill every day
    ---computer/phone time at home less than 1 hour
    -10 flights of stairs
    ---use upstairs bathroom
    ---carry fewer grocery bags at a time

4) SLEEP
    --to get to where I don't need an alarm to wake up (about 7.5 hours of actual sleep)
    --To bed by 10, up at 6:30 every day

5) BINGES
    --I find I am not having trouble with this as long as I stick to the 3:2:2 plan (which I did very well with for 2.5 months, so back to it!)

6) SYSTEMS
    --Use journal to evaluate daily.
    --Re-evaluate weekly to be sure I have not aimed too high or too low.

How is the liquid day going?
    Karin

Very easy so far, I am at work. Today should actually end up being a very good day to do this since I have a friend coming over after work. I am going to cut his hair. And that will take me to 6pm. When I will make a very nice smoothie for myself. I will make DH some pasta (I don't care for it, so no temptation there) and he can eat the marinated veggie salad that is leftover. So I will be able to stay out of the kitchen.

I had a very busy weekend, between all the church stuff and then having to get the house cleaned and food ready for last night. So it made it seem like I had really had a long weekend. But it also didn't seem like I got any time off. Tonight, I am going to knit and then go to bed early.

Funny thing though, my tummy is grumbling like I am hungry, but I don't feel particularly hungry. Weird, given that some times I think I am hungry and my tummy isn't grumbling. I feel like I really need to learn my true physical hunger signals.
    Last edited by demuralist; 07-23-2013 at 11:58 AM.

on a completely different note...grrrr, I just read the "pros and cons" of the 5:2 and one of the cons is that it doesn't "solve the initial reason for the obesity". Really? And what would that be? Yeah, the expert doesn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Very easy so far, I am at work. Today should actually end up being a very good day to do this since I have a friend coming over after work. I am going to cut his hair. And that will take me to 6pm. When I will make a very nice smoothie for myself. I will make DH some pasta (I don't care for it, so no temptation there) and he can eat the marinated veggie salad that is leftover. So I will be able to stay out of the kitchen.

I had a very busy weekend, between all the church stuff and then having to get the house cleaned and food ready for last night. So it made it seem like I had really had a long weekend. But it also didn't seem like I got any time off. Tonight, I am going to knit and then go to bed early.

Funny thing though, my tummy is grumbling like I am hungry, but I don't feel particularly hungry. Weird, given that some times I think I am hungry and my tummy isn't grumbling. I feel like I really need to learn my true physical hunger signals.

I think once we have this.. we got it!
    Karin

agreed.

the part that drives me crazy is that I was never a person who, drank sodas (except diet), or ate fast food, or ate a lot of processed foods, or really any of the "reasons" that we as a society got obese. So it has to be about hunger signals and/or how my body uses fuel.