Page 38 of 549 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138538 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 38

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    We overused snow days last year as well. This year, we have already lost one to TS Lee.
    Lovely profile pic. Nice to "see" you.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the links. I haven't bought anything yet, because I still can't decide (not sure why it's all that hard for me...). That, and I need to figure out how I'm going to listen at night. Perhaps headphones with the iPhone (which I don't usually keep in the room).

Love the profile pic!

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Yeah for the pic!! Looks lovely!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Thanks, the photo is an older one (20 years ago, but in my mind I still look like this!), but I cannot figure out how to get anything else on this program, they are all too large. The one with my profile is pretty current (last year's). Hopefully by the time it is time to post my before and after I will have figured it out.

@RMS the headphones I use are called "Tooks" TOOKS Headphone Beanies, Headphone Headbands - Product Page
    very reasonably priced, sound pretty darn good and are reasonably comfy, the ear phones are flat so they are easy to sleep in. I use one of our old iPods and just leave it in the bedroom.
    Last edited by demuralist; 11-27-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: add link
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

ok so my weight this morning is 260.4 which is pretty much where I started the week. I guess that is pretty good news given the week was Thanksgiving.

What I learned is...when I have something that is off plan I just need to go back onto the plan immediately. I DO NOT need to try and make it up by "eating less" or "moving more" either the rest of the day or the next day. That is the mentality that sets me up for supreme failure. It makes this feel like a 'diet' instead of 'my life plan that happens to include an eating plan to lose weight'. And that is when I binge.

Thought I was done with the binging. Because I think that binging, for me is set up by a hunger at a cellular level. And this is probably true, but being on a diet apparently also sets up the binge mentality. Although those are hard to separate since being on a diet actually sets up some amount of hunger at the cellular level.

So today I am back to being on plan. No trying to make up for lost time, just use the lesson learned and move on.

Today's food will be:

Breakfast: my morning mocha
    1 Liter of water
    Lunch:salmon, salad, oil and vinegar (I am out of avocado, I will switch that out for the oil if I get to Trader Joes before lunch), 1mug of green tea, 1mug of black chai spice tea, both with stevia and a total of 1/3C of coconut milk (Trader Joes, canned light)
    1 liter of water
    Dinner: Laura's lean ground beef-8oz. with mushrooms and tomatoes, Caesar salad dressing and romaine, 1 mug of red velvet chocolate tea, 1 mug of decaf chai, both with stevia and a total of 1/3C of coconut milk
    1 liter of water
    If I am still thirsty-another mug or 2 of tea.

The only thing that might affect this is if I am driving DD back to college or if she caught a ride.

to say I am sore from yesterday's 3 hours of leaf gathering would be an understatement. I will do some stretching exercises to work out the kinks.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post

What I learned is...when I have something that is off plan I just need to go back onto the plan immediately. I DO NOT need to try and make it up by "eating less" or "moving more" either the rest of the day or the next day. That is the mentality that sets me up for supreme failure. It makes this feel like a 'diet' instead of 'my life plan that happens to include an eating plan to lose weight'. And that is when I binge.

Thought I was done with the binging. Because I think that binging, for me is set up by a hunger at a cellular level. And this is probably true, but being on a diet apparently also sets up the binge mentality. Although those are hard to separate since being on a diet actually sets up some amount of hunger at the cellular level.

So today I am back to being on plan. No trying to make up for lost time, just use the lesson learned and move on.
    This helps because perhaps I do not NEED to IF. We will see, I really only like to IF when it comes naturally. Can you explain more about hunger on a cellular level?
    Karin

Have you ever seen the movie "Fathead"? you can stream it on Netflix if you have it, or hulu (go to hulu.com and search "fathead") if you don't have netflix. It is actually called a comedy-documentary. But I think he does a great job of explaining why we get hungry. He has an emphasis on low carb and watching his movie is what actually started me down the road that brought me here. I started with Atkins/Mediterranean Ketogenic, then low-carb primal, then SPEED.

Essentially it is saying that a resistance to insulin does not allow nutrients into the cells and so it takes a lot more food to feel like you have gotten what you need. Tom (the guy who made the documentary) gives a really good explanation with graphics that was essentially my "aha moment". The movie is a tad goofy, but he is really into the scientific method and just uses a silly way of getting his info across. He also put out a video of a talk he gave on the scientific method which I think is also worth seeing. You can google that and watch it in 3 parts on youtube (free also).

I HIGHLY recommend both. Easy to watch (the guy is actually a comedian) and very informative.
    Chris
    Unknown

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    This has been one of the most difficult things for me. I'd like to say I've gotten "there", but I still have guilt over things like a slice of pie at Thanksgiving. I'm trying to remind myself that this is life and one mistake isn't going to damage my entire future or sucess at weight loss. At most, it puts me back a day or two (or seven). Letting it go and moving on is important. And, as you say, we shouldn't try and punish our bodies for something that might not have been the best choice. Because we still need to nourish and take care of ourselves!

Karin - as to IF - the jury is still out on that for me. I really like being able to IF if I need to (a business lunch where the entree is covered with gravy (wheat somewhere in there for sure) and dairy -- both of which I'm intollerant), but if I'm not careful (basically, eating really well leading up to the IF), then it can cause me to binge as well. But, when it happens naturally (I'm not hungry), I'm tring really hard to go with the flow. The most difficult part are things like dinners with the family (sometimes I'm hungry "off-cycle") or business lunches (where if you don't eat, it will be a LONG time before the next meal).

oh yeah, I can not just "will" an IF, they have to come naturally (which for me happens on occasion). When they are natural (as in not hungry so don't eat) I have not noticed any bingeing.
    Karin

A natural IF while very rare does occur for me. But if I think I am going to plan one, well forget that! I used to always carry a small pack of raw almonds in my purse for in case moments, then very rarely needed them. Since I don't snack anymore I don't carry them. I am also not afraid to feel hungry anymore. That used to be a concern for me. Stupid I know, but I think I was basically trying to avoid a situation where I would binge. But I really now think that binging is a situation totally separate.
    Chris
    Unknown