Sleep= 5:21 94% efficiency
    Urine Ketones= didn't bother
    Blood Ketones= didnt bother
    FBS= out of sticks
    Calories = 1034 about double a dd, but half an ud
    Net Carbs = 29g/12%
    Fat= 82g/74%
    Protein= 36g/14%
    KR = 1.32 I think this is supposed to be about the same as "optimal ketones" so 1.0 to 3.0?

So here is what I have learned...dd's are harder if the day before has too many carbs! However yesterday I felt really good until I ate something. So my plan for my next dd is to drink my calories. Make my smoothie for breakfast, and one for dinner, then do at least one bone broth with bouillon and salt, my 100oz of ACV water, and lots of tea with or without HWC as available to balance my macros.

Today is an ud, and we have company coming for dinner-it is DH's birthday. I am making a variety of dips, spreads, and cheeses (all naturally low carb) with a variety of dippers (celery, cukes, crackers). This will be the easy part. Then I am making DH's traditional/favorite, a Boston Cream Pie. This is luckily not my favorite so I should not have trouble passing it up. Especially since it is an ud and I am able to enjoy to satisfaction the appetizers.

I have not decided if my dd will be Sunday or Monday.
    I am trying to figure this out still. I have tried LC UD's and bomb the dd, I have tried HC and bomb the dd's. Grrr... I think its a mental thing personally.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    SW 2/26/13 =274.8
    CW=271.2 up 1
    Sleep= 5:57 96% efficiency

Not bothering to put the food stats because even though I tried really hard to track all that I ate, at the end of the night I was stuffed and I don't feel confident that the tracked numbers match what I actually ate.

OK, so I have mentally solidified a plan. I will do this plan WITHOUT CHANGE until June 1st.

I will be doing a 4:3 every week.

Most of the time my down days will Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. These days (I think) will mostly be liquids which will include teas with and without HWC, my ACV water, and smoothies of various ingredients. And hopefully they will still be EMF, that is I think one of the things that help make them successful.

The other thing that helps make the dd's successful for me is for the day directly previous to also be EMF (LCHF). So that means that Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday will be reasonable days that fit those macros. That leaves Saturday. Which I plan to use to loosen up. I will still not eat sugar, grains, processed foods but I will not be religious about it. This is the day I will allow things like a bowl of fresh berries or a serving of greek yogurt. The things I miss while doing EMF/LCHF.

I really think that for this to work long term I need to learn to just eat and move on. I will still track, that is probably a part of my life for the rest of my life, but I will not "control" so much, but work to follow what I think I want to eat. Working to understand hunger and satisfaction and learning to stop before stuffed and feel good about it.
    Love this idea. It would make things easier for planning instead of alternating and seems like a more feasible life long plan.

Edit: I get so disgusted with myself sometimes trying to find something that works, I almost want to pick something and who cares if it works but stay the course with something and hope for the best.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I will tell you that over at the newbies JUDDD thread on LCF, they have suggested that you really need to reach or come very close to your ud calories or the dd is much harder. Plus, the consensus there is that if you consistently go low on your ud's you will most likely stall. They suggested that if I do keep with the M/W/F dd's (which I will till at least June first!) that the day before needs to be the ud, and that the moderate day would be Saturday (in my scenario).

My big goal here for June first (and I don't normally like to put weight and date together but here goes) is to reach what I just realized was my primal low weight, of 250. Apparently sometime in the past year or so I did get down to 255 since that is the start weight in my fitbit, (it was May 2012, I just checked it, although I was 251 in March 2012).

The one after that is 235, which is my most recent low weight, it was June 23rd, 2008, sad.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    I want something that will work AND that I can do without wanting to kill myself or everyone around me. I like UD/DD because I think it could be very doable and workable.

I would like to be 155 by June 1. That's the lowest Primal weight I hit (last year, this time). That's 3-5 lb in the next 7 weeks. Doable for most, but not me, as of late However, I remain optimistic that I CAN get there...somehow...some way.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I will tell you that over at the newbies JUDDD thread on LCF, they have suggested that you really need to reach or come very close to your ud calories or the dd is much harder. Plus, the consensus there is that if you consistently go low on your ud's you will most likely stall. They suggested that if I do keep with the M/W/F dd's (which I will till at least June first!) that the day before needs to be the ud, and that the moderate day would be Saturday (in my scenario).

My big goal here for June first (and I don't normally like to put weight and date together but here goes) is to reach what I just realized was my primal low weight, of 250. Apparently sometime in the past year or so I did get down to 255 since that is the start weight in my fitbit, (it was May 2012, I just checked it, although I was 251 in March 2012).

The one after that is 235, which is my most recent low weight, it was June 23rd, 2008, sad.
    I see the value in this. Although, my concern is reaching those calories tends to have my carbs WAY HIGH as well as my protein. Previous things we have done have said, no-no to both.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

DDs for me work if I have a good UD. I don't know how people who eat lots of carbs do this...it nearly drives me insane on a DD...the cravings! I have concluded, however, that I cannot do a strict EMF + UD/DD successfully. I cannot eat enough calories on an UD (with all of my restrictions!) to make it through a DD. Which isn't to say that I don't eat more fat than the average bear -- I do (fact is, at about 65%, I'm at the low end of most EMF protocols). But, to get the calories right, I either have to have more carbs or more protein (or some combo of both). But, since I gave EMF 3 full months and didn't get anywhere, I'm willing to be a bit more relaxed about it...assuming I see some "new" weight loss.

If I could be truthful - I just want to be able to do straight up Primal with UD/DD (fixed days like Chris is planning). I want to be able to eat a moderate amount of protein, a bit higher fat, and some carbs. I would like to be able to enjoy 1/2 a sweet potato or a Primal treat on occasion without the scale showing a 5 pound water gain that then takes 2 weeks to go away. Obviously that didn't work me...but a girl can dream, right?

Ruth, it is my memory that you were not reaching your calories on your ud's, is that true. Because if it is that may be the key according to my supporters at the JUDDD thread. Because I seem to remember that you were doing pretty well with your dd's. I also seem to remember that although you were unimpressed your weight seemed to have a downward trend.

And yes, my current criteria for my WOE is doable for life (I don't feel deprived nor does it make me crazy trying to keep up with the details) and downward trending scale numbers. I am confident that a version of JUDD is doable for life, I just need to figure out which version also leads to the downward trending scale numbers.

sorry, duplicate

I have been frustrated...but mostly because I have not lost any NEW weight. It's the exact same weight I've been playing with since before Christmas. After 4 weeks of UD/DD, I "lost" 2 pounds, but never getting back to my lowest low in the last 3 months. I stalled completely in Week 3 and gained in Week 4 (my typical pattern). [Maintenance week 5 is not looking so good after my birthday "refeed", even though my average calories over the past 7 days...even past 2 days...is perfectly respectable and in range.]

Having said all that............ DDs are (generally) very easy for me, assuming I have a good UD. But, I cannot eat up to my UD calories (which you'll note is when I was losing weight...but was also in my usual 2 week loss pattern) and keep a true EMF protocol. I do think it could be a problem, based on what the very successful JUDDD forum ladies say, that I am not eating near my UD calories. I have to decide -- either eat more protein (and/or carbs) or know that I'm not "truly" doing the JUDDD protocol (I'm only doing some other version of very lo cal). It's why I'm attempting a maintenance week - I need a break to get my head on straight

Ok, so thinking out loud here....what if you went for it and followed the JUDDD and increase the protein and/or carbs for a month just to see if the JUDDD would actually produce a weight loss. Then, once you get that experiment under your belt you can see if it really is the higher protein that was causing you a problem. If doing the straight JUDDD doesn't work, then there is no need to go on with it for weight loss (although I would still think a version would be viable for maintenance). If doing straight JUDDD does produce fat loss then you can start playing with the macro percentages after putting in the new weight on the JUDDD website.

I just saw a blog (who knows where, but I think it was sweet geek) where she did shakes (homemade) to allow her body a rest after she went crazy at the holidays. She mixed it up to pretty much the percentages that EMF recommends (she used HWC, water, whey protein, and peanut butter). But the point is that you could try a version of that for a few days and see what happens. Using things like eggs, coconut milk, and sunbutter to get the balance -with regards calories, as well as fat/protein/carbs - needed to finish off an ud?

I think that having a day (or 3) a week of very low calories is probably good not only for fat loss, but also for a variety of other systems in the body.