Page 323 of 666 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325333373423 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,230 of 6656

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 323

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Hopefully he will just sleep the whole way home. He usually gets over things pretty quickly as he is a healthy kid.

ok, so today starts the real thing JUDDD, and today is an ud.

My weight this morning 270.0, calories allowed on ud are 2200, and calories allowed on dd's are 450 (I will likely go to 500, at least in the beginning). I plan to stay VLC on down days and LC on up days (although this week that may or may not work-Thursday is a meal I have zero control over, and Saturday I will make DH a Boston Creme Pie for his birthday). It looks like I will end up being fairly low protein on down days and moderate protein on up days. Fat will be added or not depending on what I have left.

For this first month, I will be mostly working on falling within the calorie restrictions. I will continue to eat the quality of food I do now, in other words I am not going to suddenly go back to sugars and flours and starches and I will continue to cook from scratch for the most part.

As to monitoring...I just read that urine ketones show up highest in the morning and blood ketones show up highest in the evening. So I feel like I will use that and measure the urine in the morning and the blood in the evening? I don't know how that blood test will be affected by what and when I eat in relation to the test. I look forward to Dr. Ede's article on why Dr. Rosedale suggests it is not necessary to test the blood ketones. At any rate I have about 30 strips and will use them this month until I run out, same with the urine strips.

I am going to stop monitoring both the EMF thread and the ADF thread for now, because I tend to tweak when the scale is not going my way and I feel like the various ways that others are implementing those programs encourage me to do that as well.

I will stay the course exactly as planned for 1 month, and then evaluate the results and make changes (or hopefully not) as the numbers prescribe.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I spend most of my time on the journals - a handful of people I enjoy reading. I only check out the ADF and EMF threads occasionally...too much information.

From reading the LC Friends thread, when the folks checking blood ketones were posting, they all tested in the am. They figured that if their ketones were good in the morning, they were likely to just be higher in the evening. Food for thought.

I can save down to 2007 in Excel. No problem. The formatting might not be as pretty, but the formulas will all work.

yes, as I think more about it, it would seem like measuring in the evening would allow too much variability regarding what and when I ate, so I will do it in the morning. This will also give me a comparison of the stix vs. the blood in case I need it for the future. Although I think that once I get the numbers down and the scale is working in my favor I will not test long term, unless or until I hit a stall.

Truthfully I don't think I have gotten into NK for any length of time. Maybe for a part of a day, but I have never shown urine ketones, even in induction on Atkins, and looking at those days of food (yeah for tracking!) my protein was moderate not excessive. So I wonder if there are just some people who can't maintain NK?

I think getting into NK is really hard for some. While I have not yet tested, and assuming I can rely on the physical cues, I can only get there will 50-55g protein and 10-15 g carbs. That's frankly hard. [I enjoy life better at around 70 g protein.] And sustaining that...very difficult.

But the thing in, I don't know that one needs NK to lose weight. One of the things I like about ADF, assuming I can believe what I read, is that it gets one into ketosis and is thus muscle sparing. So maybe one only needs "mild" ketosis to get the results. {It will be interesting to see your blood ketone results --- I suspect as much water/liquid as you drink, it throws off the urine strips...but that's just a guess.}

I am hoping that you are right, and yes most of what I read, when it mentions it at all, it does seem to suggest that NK can be reached this way. I think that doing a ratio of 4:3 is very doable (and will probably switch to a 5:2 for maintenance). I also think that in the future I will keep that ratio over the course of a week. In other words, if I have something come up and it would normally be a dd, but I need it to be an ud, I will just maybe do 2 dd's in a row, or just switch it off somehow so that 3 out of every 7 days is a dd.

I will start the monitoring tomorrow. I am wondering if there is some way to see friend's progress reports through MFP or only their food tracking? I haven't figured anything like that out yet, but it would be nice since I will be tracking my ketones in there.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with the experiment. Will you be recording your daily ketones here as well as MFP?

PS: you might be best just going back to DD/UD after 2 UD rather than stressing over trying to get 2 DD in a row. Life is too short & this is probably more sustainable long term. Just a thought. Of course YMMV

Yes, I will record here every morning, in the least confusing manner I can figure out.

It is most likely that instead of doing 2 dd's or 2 ud's I will likely moderate one to a middle day. 2 ud's in a row makes me physically lethargic even when VLC, and 2 dd's in a row will just make me cranky and increase the likelihood of a binge.

I have my own admission regarding food intake today. I made the boys PB cookies, just PB egg and sugar, i tasted the dough and ate one of the finished cookies. It started as a thoughtless taste because it is a kind of strange recipe. Then, well, i had to taste a finished one.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, me too. The cookies I made were GOOD

Now we start anew