Page 316 of 666 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318326366416 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,160 of 6653

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 316

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    ^ I also feel VERY picky on my UDs. I want it to be awesome food. Food I enjoy. Food that makes the DDs seem reasonable.

I am always intent on LC. Not only does is make my stomach feel better, but I do not want a lot of crazy ups and downs with blood sugar and really do not want a lot of crazy cravings (which I haven't yet had). My "cravings" tend to be for things like pate. My, how my palate has changed in the last few years

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I have been visiting the JUDDD thread on lowcarbfriendsforum, and I was kind of surprised at how many people eat very high carb, and even junky things on their Up AND Down Days(obviously smaller amounts on the Down Days). I, too, am feeling very picky. This is somewhat hampered by needing to use up leftovers. I had some this morning because they needed to be eaten, not because I wanted them. But to make up for it, I will be having a fantastic lunch!

I'm thinking of starting a JUDDD thread here on MDA. But should it go under Nutrition, Odds and Ends, or Journals? Opinions?

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I have taken to making just enough food for the meal at hand. DH rarely eats leftovers, and I want awesome food. Leftovers are rarely awesome.

The thing about the low carb friends forum is that there is always a group who will eat junk as long as it is low carb and falls within the parameters of calories they have set. That is actually how I ended up at MDA, it started to bother me. But there are some posts mixed in with people interested in eating real food.

As to a JUDDD thread...mmmm, I think it likely we will get hammered for "counting calories" although there will be a group of IFer's who might get it. But if the first post emphatically states that we are only interested in support for our experiments it might work. EMF thread has gone pretty well. Are the other weight loss threads under Nutrition or Odds and Ends. Journals doesn't seem right unless you want to name it Sabine's JUDDD journey or something like that.
    Last edited by demuralist; 03-25-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Most of them are under Nutrition. I was thinking of Odds and Ends to try and avoid the naysayers. I really am not interested in it turning into a debate thread. But you are right, the EMF thread has been very well-mannered. I'll need to go look at the beginning to see if Pebbles used any magic words that made that more likely.

The calorie counting aspect is not very palatable(snort) to me, either, but I consider it a necessary evil if one is not going to do plain old fasting. Once I have these pains under control, I'm going for the straight fast again.

I don't mind the tracking, mostly because the last time I really lost weight, I was doing it by "teaching" myself to listen to my body, eat slowly/consciously, etc. So no tracking. Then when it started to turn itself around I had no data to go back and see what had changed.

I will join if you start one, and I think that we need to agree on a pat answer when a naysayer wanders in. One that we all give no matter what (ie we don't argue with them), we just say, "this is our N=1 experiment, we appreciate your concern but would prefer this thread be kept for support and not debate"

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I will help as well. I like that approach to the thread.

I am using tracking as a teaching tool. I have no on/off switch anymore, though I feel it slowly coming back over time, with good (quality) food. The DD has also reminded me how much I eat out of habit, not true hunger. One thing about tracking - it gives me a lot of data. Not only (estimated) calories, but fat, protein, carbs, etc. It helps me see if I'm letting too much junk creep back in, etc. It also helps gives me a baseline for what was working (or not) at certain points in time.

Sometimes when I read the LC friends site, I am envious. A lot of them really eat a bunch of junk and still seem to do well. But, I know that I feel better, and can gain the life-long skills I want (e.g., stopping when naturally full, etc.) with eating primally. Plus, eating well makes the DDs tolerable.

the LC friends forum often makes me feel a bit self righteous, I don't think I ever in my life kept up for any period of time, that level of eating junk.

It is funny, because when I was in college (the 2nd time) I would essentially do ud's and dd's but accidentally. I was working as a hairdresser, so if I got enough tips, then I ate, if not well I fasted. About once a month, on a Sunday, I would buy a pound of peanut MnM's, and a pint of Haagen Daas Swiss Vanilla almond and that is what I would eat all day as I did my laundry and studied for exams. My weight hovered around 160, until I started dating Dh. He was making money so we actually ate every day, and even though we split most meals, I gained 10 pounds the first year and 10 more the second.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I am still bouncing around technically. I hit 266.4 in this most recent go round of experiments, and I weighed 267 this morning, so I am close. I think 255 is the lowest I have been since I went Primal.

Yes, DS is going into Engineering. Not sure what kind yet, but that is ok, he doesn't have to narrow it down until spring in his sophomore year. At UTK they put the students through a series of classes that are meant to help them decide. Not so much at TCU, not sure about Case Western yet.

So here is the weirdness for today... my FBS was 110?

Yesterday's stats...
    Calories....603 - this is 103 over my upper limit for dd's and 160 over my 20% for dd's
    Net Carbs...14g/10% - this is 1g under my goal for this
    Total Carbs....28g - this is 2g under my goal for this
    Fat.....41g/65% - I have not got limits on this except as it works into my calorie limits
    Protein...36g/25% - my upper limit goal for this is 70g for ud's I have not set one for dd's

I have been skimming through the link that Ruth put in Karin's journal about the woman who has been doing the JUDDD and writing about it for a few months now. I think that it is helping me to crystallize what I will do with my journey. For the most part I intend to keep sugar and grains out of my diet even on ud's, I will allow small amounts of in-season fresh fruit in on ud's though. I am going to focus on staying low-carb on both days though and worry less about the protein and fat, although I do not intend to go crazy with protein.

What I am feeling is similar to what she was saying, that I am noticing that I am getting picky about what I want to eat. On the dd's because I get so little food, and on the ud's because I want to really have yummy stuff to make up for the dd's spartanness. This is a very good thing.

I am also becoming very aware of how hunger actually feels, not in a bad way mind you. Hunger for me is no longer a horrible experience. It used to make me feel light headed and nauseous, now it is a gurgle in the upper abdomen. Not sure exactly why it is different, but feel like it has to do with blood sugar, and thus the reason I plan to stay low carb.
    I am enjoying the blog of that gals JUDDD journey. I have to say, I get the gurgle too, of course I am on day 1. However, its the same gurgle as when I IF'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I have been visiting the JUDDD thread on lowcarbfriendsforum, and I was kind of surprised at how many people eat very high carb, and even junky things on their Up AND Down Days(obviously smaller amounts on the Down Days). I, too, am feeling very picky. This is somewhat hampered by needing to use up leftovers. I had some this morning because they needed to be eaten, not because I wanted them. But to make up for it, I will be having a fantastic lunch!

I'm thinking of starting a JUDDD thread here on MDA. But should it go under Nutrition, Odds and Ends, or Journals? Opinions?
    I say, Why not? There are threads for all kinds of things. I agree the IFers might join as well. I also agree the EMF has been a great experience in regards to civility.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    Yes, I will help as well. I like that approach to the thread.

I am using tracking as a teaching tool. I have no on/off switch anymore, though I feel it slowly coming back over time, with good (quality) food. The DD has also reminded me how much I eat out of habit, not true hunger. One thing about tracking - it gives me a lot of data. Not only (estimated) calories, but fat, protein, carbs, etc. It helps me see if I'm letting too much junk creep back in, etc. It also helps gives me a baseline for what was working (or not) at certain points in time.

Sometimes when I read the LC friends site, I am envious. A lot of them really eat a bunch of junk and still seem to do well. But, I know that I feel better, and can gain the life-long skills I want (e.g., stopping when naturally full, etc.) with eating primally. Plus, eating well makes the DDs tolerable.
    I hate tracking but I LOVE being able to go back and have data.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

It used to be that I would eat in order to avoid the extreme discomfort of hunger. I don't know how that gal makes it if it is painful to be hungry! But I really do think that, even though I am not in NK apparently, that eating low carb has eased the physical sensations of hunger and makes it so that I no longer have to fear it. And it is especially odd that I tend to feel hungrier on ud's than on dd's!

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is NK possible with JUDDD? I am hoping it is because I am still of the understanding that being in NK aids weightloss. Or am I wrong..psh.. why is this so hard?!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.