Page 295 of 625 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 6249

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 295

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    I would still consider yesterday a major WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The alcohol, without the cake, would probably have been easy to resist (although this is life - do you really want to never drink again? Maybe for awhile). For me, the cake would have led to a big downhill slide of all kinds of bad things (especially with a little alcohol thrown in there). So, again, no cake? MAJOR victory. Celebrate!
    thanks! I totally agree. I am not a big drinker and can easily resist, just felt like I wanted it last night, so it will not lead down a slippery slope like the cake would have, you are right.

I am reposting this from the EMF thread and finishing the equation.....

"regarding the chatter we are having about our protein levels (not sure which thread it is on, but figure it would be useful here, so that is where I am going to pick it up)...

reading a blog in which the woman is also doing a NK diet and keeping pretty good records (well did), she used Dr. Kwasniewski's equation to determine protein levels....height in centemeters, minus 100, equals protein (as well as your "goal weight") plus or minus 10%.

Interestingly for me, it is what I had originally determined...my height in centimeters is 170, my protein then is 70g, and plus or minus 10% would give me a range of 63g to 77g which is pretty much where I keep ending up.

Then, still using his equation, carbs need to be half that. So for me 31g to 38g (this is total carbs) again pretty much where I have been shooting (I do Net carbs and try to make half of my total carbs in fiber).

But the interesting part is that the Dr. advocates for 2.5 to 3.5 x's the "goal weight" number in total fat! And that is way higher than what I have been shooting for!"

So 2.5 x's 63 = 157.5 which is the very lowest then that my fat should be and 3.5 x's 77 = 269.5g is the very highest end of the scale for my fat. and both numbers are higher than what I have been shooting for!

So my new numbers=
    Lowest side...
    Protein 63g x's 4 = 252
    Carbs 31g x's 4 = 124
    Fat 157.5 x's 9 = 1417.5
    Net Carbs (I am gonna go for <15g)

This is 1793 total calories, my BMR is 1850. So that is just below BMR base (no activity multiplier).

Highest numbers are...
    Protein 77g x 4 = 308
    Carbs 38 x 4 = 152
    Fat 269.5 x 9 = 2425

Total calories would be 2885. I cannot imagine! So I will be going for very close to the low numbers. What I plan to do is to keep the protein (63g) and carb (31g) numbers no higher than the lower set of numbers, and keep the fat (158) no lower than that number.

While I do all the traveling this month, I am just going to work to keep carbs very low, and try not to stress too much about the protein and fat.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    That's what I have been using for the protein - that formula - at my goal weight (128-130). I've found that I do better at the -10% level, but it may be the fact that I'm not getting a lot of activity right now.

I did the higher calorie for 3 week and basically the higher protein. That got me nowhere except +5 pounds that I struggled to get rid of again. Calories are interesting. Some people need more than others (accounting for height, bone structure, movement, etc.), for no discernible (to me) reason.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    I found this same equation when I first started looking into LCHF. Tried it for a couple of weeks & gained weight. I am now starting at the other end (low protein/low cal/high fat) & will work up slowly from there. Nearly 2 weeks in I have lost nearly 7llb with no apparent ill effects so this approach is working for me at the moment but its early days yet.

Good luck with your latest n=1. I hope it works for you.

PS: Well done on avoiding the cake

Well, oddly for me, calories really don't seem to matter. I have ranged from 1400 to 2500 over the past year and a half, and I weigh essentially the same as when I started. I feel like my only recourse is getting the macros to what my body will use to burn the fat.

I do know that I lost the first 22 pounds on low carb, Atkins, with at least a daily influx of "low carb junk". So low carb with no junk should do just as good. I could never get the ketostix past pink, so it will be interesting to see what the blood monitor has to say.

Eating fat for the sake of fat, has gotten me thinking about cavemen. If they ate the entire edible parts of an animal, I wonder what their percentages would be. In other words, if we took a pasture raised cow (yes I know they didn't have cows, but we don't have mammoths) and figured out the fat to protein ratio for all the edible parts I wonder what it would be.

I've wondered the same thing. The reason? Things like liver and heart have quite a bit of protein and not that much (relatively speaking) fat. But, maybe they ate lots of the fat that came on the rest of the body? I don't know. It's an interesting questions, that's for sure.

well, this "new" experiment is really what I have been doing for the past week or so except to pay attention to keep my fat up, which will slightly increase the calories.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    WOWOWOWOWOW~ Congrats about the cake. I agree with Ruth.. life.. to be successful you also have to be reasonable.

So, in the end the new calculations are slightly different but not significant, right?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. The reason? Things like liver and heart have quite a bit of protein and not that much (relatively speaking) fat. But, maybe they ate lots of the fat that came on the rest of the body? I don't know. It's an interesting questions, that's for sure.
    But how much fat did free ranging animals even have?
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Yeah. I know my chuck roasts and such are fairly lean when then come from grassfed/finished. I have no clue about the rest of the animal.