Page 274 of 599 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324374 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 5986

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 274

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    yes, but if what we are looking for is comparative numbers (ie. am I losing LBM or holding steady) it should be just as reasonable as using a meter that is consistent right?
    If I take Monday's readings:

weight 173 lb BF% 40.9 Water% 42.0 LBM% 55.7%

so BF = 40.9/100x173=70.8lb LBM = weight=BF =173-70.8 = 102.2lb

but LBM = 55.7/100x173=96.3lb a difference of 5.9lb.

I believe the LBM% figure is more accurate but off the top of head I cant remember the reason for the discrepancy, its something to do with the way body fat is measured using electrical current I think.

UPDATE: Just dug out the manual. It doesn't say how the LBM% is calculated I will ask at t4h pharmacy when Igo past.

NB: Having now read the manual (i'm not a manual reader) I have just discovered there are 2 results screens & that the second screed gives BMI & TDEE based on activity level. It also has a normal/athlete mode. So thanks for making me read the manual!
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-19-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: update

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    yes, but what I was saying is that since we admitted that neither is perfectly accurate, what we are looking for is a consistent number, and if there is a loss or gain of LBM, not necessarily exactly how much of it there is. I was thinking that as long as LBM didn't go down, that for now, that was enough information to know whether or not to raise grams of protein. So to try to unmirk the water, if I use the same measurement every time from the same machine, I should be able to use the information to determine whether or not I am losing LBM.

argh, I am too lazy to put the pizza casserole recipe into MFP. What a pain.

So, thinking that calorie intake, generally should be between BMR and TDEE? So for me 1840 and 2210 (or so). Or should I calculate BMR and TDEE for my goal weight? So then 1400 and 1680? Or somewhere at the midpoint?
    yes but make sure your TDEE is calculated at the appropriate activity level. Eg if you normally do no exercise during the week & exercise hard at the weekend you would have one TDEE for the weekday & a higher one for the weekend

ahh, didn't think of the water. So if your scale would do the BF% and the Water% then you could do a subtraction and get LBM. I get it.
    No the water % just records hydration - muscle contains water, fat doesn't So as your muscle mass increases so the body's hydration level increases. I think the added extra is bone mass.

yes, but what I was saying is that since we admitted that neither is perfectly accurate, what we are looking for is a consistent number, and if there is a loss or gain of LBM, not necessarily exactly how much of it there is. I was thinking that as long as LBM didn't go down, that for now, that was enough information to know whether or not to raise grams of protein. So to try to unmirk the water, if I use the same measurement every time from the same machine, I should be able to use the information to determine whether or not I am losing LBM.
    yes I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    yes but make sure your TDEE is calculated at the appropriate activity level. Eg if you normally do no exercise during the week & exercise hard at the weekend you would have one TDEE for the weekday & a higher one for the weekend
    Ah, yeah, not to worry on the hard exercise issue.

I think I am just not going to go over the BMR number and be good with that.

I'm having a really hard time making my brain think it can lose weight eating as high as my BMR. It keeps setting menu plans at 1250 cal which is 120 cals below. Just shows how brain washed I am by CW

I can't believe I am about to type this, because when everyone else types something like this my first thought is "oh come on", but I don't think I can even get to 1660 today let alone get up to 1800! I will probably double up on my fat for my final BP tea, and that will get me to the 1600 or so mark.

I have to say that today I am feeling fair amount of dissonance about how much fat this is and how little of anything else. I am not hungry, and physically I am ok with it, but mentally I just can't think that fat should be my main source of nutrients/energy.

We'll see, I really want to have a smaller number on the scale when I go into the doc's office on March 5th.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    My bmr is roughly 1500 calories. I do not lose at that weight. I maintain, usually.

I'm convinced, Chris, when you find the right combo, the weight loss will happen.

I was somewhat concerned about the fat other ratio. We need the fat the absorb the minerals, but don't we need enough to get the minerals? I'm thinking that's why I need more organ meats & that all my non-fat calories have to maximize nutrients. Still thinking on this.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Re: muscle loss. In the comments on the diagnosis diet site. Interesting. True? Who knows. This was Dr. E's response.

The fact that my blood sugar levels were so much higher on 75 g of protein than on 50 g of protein suggests to me that my body wasn't using that extra protein to build muscle or enzymes or mucus or anything else...it was just turning it into blood glucose--far in excess of what anyone needs in the bloodstream. Unhealthy levels of blood glucose. Even according to the Jaminets, hyperglycemia is perilous. I do agree with them on that. How would they propose I lower my blood glucose below 90's then? I was already eating very low carbs, and even low calories on many days. Lowering protein really did the trick.