Page 272 of 548 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 5471

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 272

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I agree with at least eating at BMR. That is why I put the BMR info in the 1st post of the EMF thread. I know that some people have gotten annoyed over it (Ayla).

I already Have 2 Tbsp CO. I may up it to 3 to make up for lost protein calories.

DG I was looking at your body fat, lbm monitor. I have the Omron. It looks a lot like yours but it only measures BF and BMI. I am looking at a $50 scale that does everything, but I already have 2 scales at home. There is a really nice one with good reviews on amazon for $55.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    thanks. I currently take MCT, which is the good stuff that coconut oil is prized for but easier to mix into my coffee. I use coconut oil to cook with.

that is actually very similar to the SLD, which I also tried for a few months with no success.

I have an issue with finding BMR, I don't actually think it is possible to know it without scientifically testing for it (I believe it requires exercising in a closed room and them checking oxygen used among other things). So I am trying to get to a place where I can eat food (chugging 6T of coconut oil doesn't count to me) listen to my body, and let it figure out how to lose weight. I think something is "broken" and when I figure out how to fix it that the weight will just go away.

Paula, if you know BF and you know your weight, don't you then just have to do a little math to get LBM?

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    ^ Maybe, I'll have to do some research.

BMR I disagree. BMR is a calculation of what your body would burn if you were lying in bed in a coma, so it is pretty accurate. The calculator on MFP is supposed to be based on the most accurate formula. The problem arises when trying to decide how much exercise you do. This is why I only multiply my BMR by light activity even though I often do medium activity. My Go Wear Fit also reads my total calories burned. On my laziest days, it is pretty close to my BMR plus light activity.

Edit: There are formulas, not sure if they would accurately read whether or not I was losing LBM on 60g protein.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-19-2013 at 08:16 AM.

But the BMR assumes that everyone at a certain weight uses the same amount of energy, and I have been taught that muscles use more energy than fat, so people of different muscle compositions should use different amounts of energy even in a coma. But even if I was convinced that BMR is accurate or useful. I don't believe even the same person uses the same calories in the same way on different days and different parts of the month, etc. It is part of why I don't think strict/straight calorie counting does any good. My BMR for example is 1,824, even if I say I am sedentary I end up with 2,188. I haven't had more than 10 days over 2,000 calories in over 6 months. My average intake (last time I checked) was about 1750. I should be melting. So I just don't see its usefullness.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I agree with at least eating at BMR. That is why I put the BMR info in the 1st post of the EMF thread. I know that some people have gotten annoyed over it (Ayla).

I already Have 2 Tbsp CO. I may up it to 3 to make up for lost protein calories.

DG I was looking at your body fat, lbm monitor. I have the Omron. It looks a lot like yours but it only measures BF and BMI. I am looking at a $50 scale that does everything, but I already have 2 scales at home. There is a really nice one with good reviews on amazon for $55.

I bought it a couple of years ago, as it was a very good price & if it didn’t work I was not too much out of pocket. Given that it is giving me similar values to the more sophisticated gym version I am very please with it. Picking up on Demuralist point from earlier, I know a DEX scan is the way to go & I will hopefully get one once I am in a place where I am comfortable, just to see the result.

Even if my monitor is way out it should be consistently way out (i.e. still showing drops or gains in LBM). For me it is great as it gives me something to check when the scales stay still & anyway, like I have said before, I am more intereted in BF% than scale weight.

The water% helps too as it reminds me to keep hydrating. My DD (23 slim 5’10) has a water% of 61% which has given me something to aim for. Given I started at approx 35% & have now got to 42% I’m very pleased

I suspect the monitor would be a good measure for comparative numbers, as you said showing drops or gains as opposed to an absolute number.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    The problem with the LBM = weight - BF is it depends how accurate the BF measurement is.

Re BMR, that is also difficult to determine & very inaccurate if you don't know your LBM. 2 people may weight the same but one have lots of body fat & the other lots of muscle so any average taken on body weight doesn't really work for me. Plus there are so many different formulea ( a bit like optimal protein intake really)

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    ^

Edit: There are formulas, not sure if they would accurately read whether or not I was losing LBM on 60g protein.
    Wait? If you know your weight and you know your BF%, you can convert the BF% to pounds, then subtract that from your weight and end up knowing your lean body weight. Isn't your total body weight = Body fat + Lean Body Mass? Or does something else get added in?

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    WOW.. your story is amazing. I agree you are one blessed woman!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.