Page 271 of 644 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273281321371 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 6431

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 271

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    when I think of all the money I have spent in the past on books, pedometers, gadgets of various sorts, supplements, etc to try to lose weight it keeps me from ordering the meter. Just one more thing, ya know.

On the other hand I have had 2 cancers, and have IBD which is,by definition and name, an inflammatory disease. It is important that I get this under control so that I don't have to go through a serious cancer treatment (both of mine were caught early enough that removal of the cells was all that was needed-no chemo or radiation). And of course the money in that case if it actually does decrease the inflammation and reduce my risk of cancer would be worth every penny.

Between the genes and the obesity, I do not have a good outlook as far as cancer is concerned. Would love for my diet to solve that issue.

Since I already did the modified FF, this does seem like a treat to get this much protein, having to cut my avocado in half again though is not so much fun.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I finally read all of the cancer posts. Dr Seyfried has some really extreme ideas which I would totally follow if I had cancer right now. Even the fasting. It said that one should eat 30% below BMR. For me that would be 1250 cals. Yikes!

I will get the meter eventually and test weekly once I am stable. I will say that this blog has hardened my resolve to not even cheat, no less binge. I really need to keep my eye on my very real cancer risk.

Have you ever told us your cancer stories? It would be good to know, so we can understand your journey better.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.

I may not have told the stories .... TMI alert!!!!

when I was pregnant with my second child, I began having a ridiculous number of BM's. We are talking like 20 to 30 daily. when we were visiting friends in NY, we stayed in a hotel so DH had occasion to see what was in the toilet, it looked more like the insides of my intestines than fecal matter. He called the Doc from NY. Naturally I was losing weight, which I didn't mind but the GYN was not happy about. So given her phone conversation with DH and the weight loss, she sent me to a Gastroenterologist, who decided that I needed a sigmoidoscopy (a colonoscopy requires anesthesia-not a great idea for a pregnant woman) because she believed I had Ulcerative Colitis (IBD) but they needed to be sure. So 2 days later she calls while my DD is napping to say that I have cancer and IBD. I was 6 months pregnant so no treating the cancer, and generally colon cancer is slow growing and hopefully this one would act as expected even though I was pregnant. But they could start treating the IBD which slowed the BM's to less than 20 a day. When DS was born (after what had to be the longest 3 months in history), I went to the Mayo, where I came across an absolute God send of a doctor, who decided that removal of my colon would not feel like a cure to me so he just removed the cancer, the protocol for IBD patients who get colon cancer is to remove the better part of the large intestine. Since it was caught early (thanks to getting pregnant so soon after the first that it sent what had been a dormant IBD into action, thus catching the cancer) there was no chemo or radiation.

Then when my DD was 5 and DS 3 I had a mole on my back, which DS kept bothering whenever we would go swimming. I showed it to my internist who took part of it and sent it for analysis, it was cancerous. It was also caught early, due to DS's attention to detail, and back at the Mayo they cut out a 4" square of skin off of my back. no radiation or chemo then either. The surgeon was a Plastic Surgeon Oncologist so no scar, he kept pointing that out to me. Till I finally said I don't care if you leave a gaping hole just get all the cancer out!

Essentially DS is credited with saving my life. If my IBD had not gone active, the cancer would not likely have been caught till it was too late, and I would likely be dead by now.

The scary part to me is that essentially both were caught accidentally. Of course I now have to have yearly colonoscopies, as well as full body skin cancer checks (thanks to growing up in the Florida sun and insisting on having a tan year round).

I will probably end up getting the meter, I have favorited the link, but I guess I am waiting to see what happens with the current protocol. I think that Dr. Ede's point about the severly reduced calories in the mice is a good one, so I am not going there until/unless I have to!

p.s. my mom is a breast cancer survivor, and dad had that cancer in the bone over his eye a year and a half ago, the genes are not good there.

Wow, and then you had the Pulmonary Emboli. You are one blessed woman. No wonder you are so Zen about the weight loss...

But, I think finally, we have hit upon the the right program to keep us healthy. Hopefully, the weight will follow.

After spending 40 years trying to get thin and only getting fatter and fatter. Then surviving 2 cancer scares and the PE. Well it feels like a focus on health is probably a better way to spend my energies.

PS yes I am incredibly blessed

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    It is. I try to remember - health first!

I am beginning to believe the only way to lose and keep it lost is to focus on the health and not the weight.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    I agree. I just happen to be impatient. If I knew "the answer", and it was hard, I'd be okay, because I knew it was right for health. My problem is that I'm trying to find "the answer" amidst so much conflicting info. I feel like I'm on the right path...but I've thought that before too.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    I’ve been reading Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Dr Mary Enig. Although I don’t agree with a lot of what she says a couple of things do stick out.

The book has 3 eating plans: weight loss, health recovery & maintenance. For weight loss you should take 1-2 tbsp Coconut Oil (CO) 3x day depending on current bodyweight.

She also advocates taking cod liver oil as the vitamin A content is important for health (the Vit D benefits we already know about)

Re calorie restriction she advocates than if you eat less than your BMR the body goes into starvation mode & you wont lose weight, no matter how little you eat.

Although I cant afford to eat the 4 tbsp of CO a day that is right for my current & goal HSIS weight I will definitely be taking the 2 tbsp a day I keep meaning to take but never get around to it.

CO is also supposed to help with improved health & binging due to its satiety effects.

It might be worth a look if you can find a copy.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with at least eating at BMR. That is why I put the BMR info in the 1st post of the EMF thread. I know that some people have gotten annoyed over it (Ayla).

I already Have 2 Tbsp CO. I may up it to 3 to make up for lost protein calories.

DG I was looking at your body fat, lbm monitor. I have the Omron. It looks a lot like yours but it only measures BF and BMI. I am looking at a $50 scale that does everything, but I already have 2 scales at home. There is a really nice one with good reviews on amazon for $55.