Page 257 of 547 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307357 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 5462

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 257

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Dh has allergies and doesn't like to take his meds. He tries to sneak not taking them but usually starts again when I tell him he was snoring.

DS is actually on a high school rifle team, well technically it has been a boy scout venture crew, but this year they finally got accepted as a school team (the admin has not loved the idea of a rifle team on campus and finally got talked into it when they realized that it is a unisex sport, doesn't cost them anything, and colleges offer scholarships to members). They shoot 3 position air rifle, like in the Olympics. DS uses a rifle exactly like one used in the Olympics. He has been on the team from the first day it was allowed (one day after he turned 14-so 4 years) and the coaches style does not suit my son's style well. DS does not like any kind of confrontation and needs to feel accomplished. Coach has more of (what I assume since he is retired navy) a military style, letting them know (loudly) when they screw up, very stingy with praise. So DS tends to hunker down on a corner lane and just quietly shoot. DS is also only one of 2 members of the team that do not attend that high school, so he doesn't really feel connected to the team, given rifle shooting is a bit of a solitary sport and he doesn't see the other members around the halls at school and such. He would much prefer to be at a range shooting the real thing. The school just this year is adding a skeet shooting team, but DS is done with High School and ready to move on to college (he has a severe case of senioritis). He is quite good though, and was state pistol champ 2 years ago (the only year he competed).

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Dang, it sounds like your son shoots very well. Is he going to persue it in college or is he done now? It's a great skill to have so hopefully the coach doesn't turn him off too badly.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I think that I would like to learn how to shoot a rifle. Maybe I'll start with out "Red Ryder" bbgun. I'll try not to shoot my eye out.

He is quite good, but no he will not pursue it in college. Now that he has turned 18 he is looking at the "real" stuff. He won't stop shooting (he and his dad have a range they go to about once a month) he will likely just stop competing, at least in air rifle, I guess you never know what opportunities will present in college. However given the present political climate it seems unlikely.

He actually tried to teach me once. First the rifle he uses is crazy heavy, very difficult to hold steady, but I did manage to hit 2 center shot 10's that is of course out of like 30 shots though. Pure luck. I did manage to at least hit a number on each shot (ie I didn't totally miss the target). There is no kick though, so nope I did not shoot my eye out. (he started with a red ryder)

Nice to know you are not wearing an eye-patch due to BB gun accidents.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

I dunno, could be kind of sexy, certainly a conversation starter...."well, did you ever see the movie "Christmas Story", yes you will shoot your eye out"

Unfortunately, DD got all the athletic genes, or at least the confidence to believe she can do it. DS, not so much. So rifle is really very good for him as he is very measured and thoughtful in what he does, and speed is not his forte. He would do well with archery as well. Soccer, less so. Although he made a great center when he played football, never a missed hike.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I dunno, could be kind of sexy, certainly a conversation starter...."well, did you ever see the movie "Christmas Story", yes you will shoot your eye out"

Unfortunately, DD got all the athletic genes, or at least the confidence to believe she can do it. DS, not so much. So rifle is really very good for him as he is very measured and thoughtful in what he does, and speed is not his forte. He would do well with archery as well. Soccer, less so. Although he made a great center when he played football, never a missed hike.
    Oh, eye patches can be sexy, very true.

It sounds like they both have some strengths - different, but just as strong. A center who never mishandles a snap is a very valuable thing.

they do both have their strengths. He played on that football team for 4 years, they went undefeated 2 of them, won the "championship" all 4.

We are VERY lucky, as we have 2 fantastic children, smart and caring, we are very proud of them.

wanted to add to that last statement of mine. My DD, yesterday, texted me to ask me what her values were when she was a 10 year old (she needed it for some project she is doing at school). So I sent her back a little text telling her about a bunch of her best qualities that I remember about her at that age and asked if that was what she was looking for. Her response..."That is super helpful!! Thanks for helping and thanks for thinking the sun shines out of my ass! Haha. Love ya" The kid makes me smile, Gotta love it!

So yesterday was a great day. My immediate boss was way overworked and so I asked (well maybe begged) to let me help her. So I actually had something to do in the afternoon, ended up working late so DS didn't have to go to rifle (which made him happy). Then DH came home and had come up with a way to spend some quality father son time that DS was actually excited about! They are going to start skeet/trap shooting. DH has a shotgun already as he used to do this when we lived in Florida, so they are going to take lessons and actually go out once a week. They put the first 3 weeks on their calendars already. DS had a flash of hopefulness when one of the possible days conflicted with rifle but DH decided not to do that day.

Anyway, I stayed within my macros and feel great. I am also trying to figure out how to be a bit sneaky and get DS's carbs down lower, at least when I have control. I tracked his food yesterday and it turns out his carbs are actually not that bad on a regular basis, right around 100 to 125 or so. But his fat is low and his protein high. I obviously can't control the once a week or so pizza with friends or the donuts at church, but I got the rest covered.

So my sleep last night was amazing!!!!! I was in bed for 8:10 and I slept for 7 hours and 54 minutes! that is a 97% efficiency. I woke up when DH came to bed, then there are 2 very small blips of 2 minutes each. The only problem is that the alarm actually woke me up mid dream, so I woke up groggy, but I feel great now!

STATS:
    Calories 1630
    Carbs 25g (30g)
    Net Carbs 13g (20g)
    Fat 146g (140g)
    Protein 63g (75g)

PrimalCon New York
    Well, look at you with your kick butt day. I hope it continues