Page 193 of 665 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 6648

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 193

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I don't mind doing cardio and I hate weight lifting so I figured this was a good start. Also he posted a study on the forum that basically said that the participants gained more upper body strength when they worked out the larger lower body muscles than when they worked just the smaller arm muscles. So I figure this workout gets the big lower body muscles and hopefully I am still gaining a bit of upper body strength, that way when I do start the weights I won't feel like such a weakling!

Ok, so here is a link to a list I saw this morning which includes things I had not heard before to help you get a good night's sleep. Very doable stuff here, so I am going to give most of them a try.

Use a New Pillowcase, and a New Scent | iVillage.com: 10 Surprising Ways to Get a Better Night

The calcium/magnesium/D3 combo that I started taking doesn't seem to be getting me more actual sleep, but I am waking up not as tired as before, so maybe what I am getting is deeper/better quality. I'll keep it up and just add to it.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I don't mind doing cardio and I hate weight lifting so I figured this was a good start. Also he posted a study on the forum that basically said that the participants gained more upper body strength when they worked out the larger lower body muscles than when they worked just the smaller arm muscles. So I figure this workout gets the big lower body muscles and hopefully I am still gaining a bit of upper body strength, that way when I do start the weights I won't feel like such a weakling!
    That's correct, something like squatting is the best resistance exercise you can do as you engage so many core muscles, and this is key. Targeting individual muscles is pointless and is for young guys who want to show off (and who end up with disproportional muscles).
    I think kettlebell work-outs would work well for you. I always hated weightlifting myself but there is something about kettlebells that combines good cardio and working your core muscles, so I am hooked now. I love how you can do them from home in the kitchen, and because it is so intense when done properly, less is more.
    Good to hear you are getting better sleep, this is key.

Thanks, I will look into the kettlebells.

So TTOM started yesterday, RATS. Although I think that the longer it is before I hit it the better off I am (I think I heard that somewhere?)

Anyway, odd thing is that for the 2 days before I was really hungry. Not bingey, but quantity. Yesterday, I ended up not eating my afternoon smoothie and still had a fairly small dinner. Today feels normal hunger wise, although I do feel a bit creaky.

So the thing about the sleep...my fitbit says I am getting pretty much the same amount of sleep as before I started the magnesium/calcium/D3 combo, but I feel more rested. I will take it! I am going to implement most of the suggestions from the article I linked up above, but want to space them so I can tell which are helpful and which are not.

Just for my own records, this run of clean SANEity started Sunday Sept. 9th (I ate 1/2C ice cream on Saturday night), So no "cheats" allowed before this Saturday. I find that since I have such a bad sense of time passage that I think that I have gone clean longer than I have.

I have a pain in my back, I first noticed it on Tuesday morning. I think I may have stretched something while shifting in bed. It is what the docs like to call positional, ie. it hurts in certain positions and not in others, although in my case it hurts in most positions. Well, hurts is a bit of a strong work, lets say pretty uncomfortable. Since I had the pulmonary embolism though these sorts of things make me a little freaky. I am sort of constantly taking a deep breath to make sure it doesn't hurt more when I do that.

Sleep last night was negatively effected by TTOM and a full bladder, I finished drinking my tea a bit too late. Today on my way home from work I am going to pick up the few items I need from that sleep link and see what I can get to help. Oddly, even though the fitbit is telling me my sleep is restless, I feel pretty well rested.

So yesterday I had a craving, a very specific craving. Instead of powering through it, or eating other "healthy" things to fill me up, I decided that since it was so specific to go ahead and fulfill it.

It was oatmeal (weird right?). But even more specific, it was the way I used to eat it when I was in college. 1/2C of raw oats, with 2T of butter melted on top. Then sweetened, used to be with brown sugar, but I figured I could fudge here and went with a mix of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia. It was yummy, just as I remembered it. Probably needed it for mental health more than a physical craving.

Years ago I was on some diet, who knows which one, and beans were specifically not allowed on the diet. Now, I don't really love beans, and don't miss them now, but for some reason that really bothered me. So after I was on the diet for several months, a craving for beans started to overtake me. The kind my grandmother used to make. I obviously had none in the house. So I went to an all night grocery store and bought the stuff, it was like 3am. Got home and started making a pot of beans. using the 'fast soak' method, I ended up falling asleep and burning them because I boiled the water out. The smoke alarm woke me up (luckily it was just smoke, they had not caught fire). So now I go ahead and go with cravings when they are that specific!

So I didn't have my afternoon smoothie or a salad with my pulled pork at dinner. Which means I was way shy of my veggie goal for the day, and probably the protein too.

So today is new day "1" of SANEity.
    Last edited by demuralist; 09-14-2012 at 05:38 AM.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    That's exactly how I used to eat oatmeal. My grandpa always put butter on his...and then I did too. People thought I was weird. The other day, I was thinking how nice oatmeal would be... Weird, because I've never really eaten a lot of it
    -- Ruth

I think that going ahead and eating the oatmeal was a good idea, I am done with it now, and I expect not to think of it again for years! Instead of binging my way to finally eating it, just going ahead and giving in allowed me to enjoy it in a controlled/reasonable fashion. I think I started doing that because I lived in Florida and wanted oatmeal (well probably an oatmeal cookie) and it was too hot and I was too lazy to make a real bowl (I was too poor to buy convenience packages of anything-so instant was out of the question).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I feel like crap. TMI ALERT!!!!!!!

My Ulcerative Colitis is starting to act up, mostly so far, just making me feel crappy, no urgency issues yet, and not yet to multiple visits, just a spastic feeling in the colon and an unsettled feeling in the intestines. I have increased my meds to try to stop and reverse the course.

Not sure if it is related, or even maybe the reason for this situation and the IBD is not returning, but yesterday made it official that in the past week and a half I spent more days inSANE than SANE. There were a few SANE then 3 not, then 4 yes, then 3 really not. I have to get back on track with that, really need to pretty much consider it part of the remedy.

So far so good today. I will just go hour by hour.