Page 176 of 547 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 5462

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 176

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    argh!!! Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity. I know that I cannot keep dieting and think it will get me to my goal of being a reasonable size and healthy and active and energetic. I have to do something different. Now I have to figure out what that is.

I know that actually following the "4 Golden Rules" works for me and is how I want to live my life. But for some reason, mentally, I block myself from doing it. So I need to figure out why I am afraid to reach my goal. What do I gain by being heavy? Why is it more profitable (for lack of a better word) for me to be the way I am as opposed to the way I want to be? When I figure that out, I will be able to work on it.

Thankfulness: This morning I was talking to someone from church who had dropped her daughter off at the camp where my son was one of the counselors. This woman had not talked to my son for a couple of years, and wasn't sure he would even know who she was. But as she was walking up with her nervous daughter, my son walked up to them with a huge smile and said hello, and welcomed them, and started to tell her daughter a few of the fun things she was going to get to do while she was there. The woman was so grateful for my son's welcome attitude and hospitality she wanted to let me know. My son generally is a very quiet, often sullen, 17y.o. I was so thankful to know that he can drop that and be the person I know is inside of him when he feels comfortable and confident.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I love those moments when we get to see our children as their own people...and the people are great!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Chris, I think we are raising the same son. lol

I want to encourage you to hang in there. I know you don't want to spend any more money on diet books, but if you can borrow it from a library, you should read "It Starts with Food".

I know that we have talked about how much we love our AS, but I truly believe that cutting them and all sugars was the key to my food issues. I will not be adding them back at the end of 30 days.
    I don't think it was dairy because I am still using reg. butter and heavy cream. The only dairy I cut was cheese. Ha Ha "cut the cheese".
    Anyway, what could it hurt to try. The Whole9 blog is running an official August Whole30. All of the info on the program can be found there, I just think the book explains things extremely well.

Have a great day, my friend.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

It was lovely of that woman to tell me the story, because my hubby is freaked that my son appears rude if he acts the way he does most of the time at home when he is out in public. I think boys may be like that, more than girls anyway. The other thing that I am enjoying is to see my kids become friends again. They never spent any time fighting, and when they were little they were friends, but when they hit middle school their interests were so very different they had trouble finding common ground. Now that they are older, they are coming back together, fun to see.

Paula, You may be right about the sweetener, I just can't seem to break myself of it. I have managed to give up just about everything else at one point in time or another, (even cut the cheese for a while) except that. I don't make any desserts with it though, just added to my coffee and tea. I would likely just give up coffee if I had to go without a T of cream and a few drops of stevia though. And since I really enjoy my 1 cup in the morning, that is not likely to happen soon. i could probably drop it from most of my teas though and still enjoy them. One of the bloggers I follow is starting a Whole30 on the first, and will be posting recipes along the way, that could be interesting. I just requested the book at the library, but am 7th on the hold list.

I am sort of the opposite of you regarding strictness of a diet plan though. The more restrictive I feel it is the shorter the time I will tend to follow it. I still also believe that, for me, binges are what my body forces when I am nutrient deficient, well or just deficient. I think adhering to the 4 Golden Rules will come naturally once I figure out how to listen to my body, and figure out the mental block that works to sabotage me.

I am currently researching "The Smarter Science of Slim". It is really a tweaked version of Primal (although you don't have to be Primal to follow it). It has a few things I don't believe (ie. must eat 4 to 6 times a day), but then there are things that make sense (ie, basically half your plate should be non-starchy veggies). I feel like, my eating was better controlled when I was doing the 9 veggies and fruits a day, so I am going to be adding that back in. Not sure what else I will be doing yet.

by the by, I truly appreciate your input, thanks!

I was actually hungry this morning after my coffee so I made a smoothie, of which I drank half and it filled me up. My mom had some of it and I am saving the rest should I need a snack later. Next time I will cut the ingredients in half.

Smoothie: 2C Almond milk (I know this isn't technically primal), 1C frozen spinach, 1C broccoli, 1C frozen blueberries, 1scoop Jay Robb, 1T gelatin, 1T cocoa powder, 1tsp xylitol (for my osteopenea), 1T MCT oil, and a few drops of stevia (I tried it without the stevia and truthfully it was not drinkable).

that mixture should help insure a good mix of nutrients!

So, for now, eating by following the 4 Golden Rules with an emphasis on veggies and fruits is letting me at least maintain my weight. and it is a lot less stressful than what I have been doing. Still researching, but thinking I am leaning toward trying the Smarter Science of Slim in combination with my 4 Golden Rules. Starting his recommended workouts once school starts.

Thankfulness: the church we are a part of. this church has given my children a place to be a part of something larger than themselves, where they feel comfortable and thrive. DS is a part of the cabinet that is a statewide youth group, they are meeting this weekend to determine what their mission for the year should be, as well as to plan the camps for children and youth for the year. DD is "chaperoning" a rafting trip with her middle school group this weekend.

Forgot to mention....Slept last night for 6:17!!!! Had one stretch that was 1:27, just 3 minutes short of my 90 minute goal! what I did different, I was too lazy to cut my melatonin in half, so took 500mcg, about an hour before I got into bed.

and boy does it feel different today, just came in from doing 1:30 hours in the garden. I feel energized as opposed to exhausted. I am so very excited.

Sad thing, my parents go home tomorrow. Truth be told, I am thinking I would consider my mom my best friend. Love spending time with her. I love my dad as well, but it is not the same.

ok, yesterday was a carb fest. This morning my weight is up to 264.8. Time to turn it around.

I am going to start tracking my food in this journal. I want to keep track of what I eat without paying attention to calories and micros for a while. (I will come back and edit through out the day). I will also be tracking my waist measurement along with my weight. I am going to try to do this every Monday morning and no other day. Unless, not doing it feels stressful. I just did my measurements last week and that will be close enough for my starting measurements.

I am checking out the book "The Smarter Science of Slim" and using it as a guide.

Regarding exercise...1x a week I will do his recommended body weight exercise circuit, it will be on one of my days off. He also recommends a specific type of cardio, but I will wait to start that until I figure out how I can do it with the equipment, or more precisely lack of equipment, I have on hand. So on the days I go to work, I will walk on the treadmill for no more than 30 minutes, because I know from experience this makes a big difference in my body shape as well as in how I feel.

Regarding food...I am going back to my 9 veggies and a fruit or 2 a day, protein (lean or grass-fed as much as possible) at every meal, no flour, sugar, or grains. Working to get a heavy dose of nutrient dense foods. And I am going to concentrate on the 4 Golden Rules. Concentrate hard.

7/22/12 263.2
    Neck: 14
    r. bicep below top muscle:16
    r. forearm:12
    Chest (with bra): 45
    waist:41
    hips:52
    r. thigh (at finger tip):30
    r. calf:17
    fat %: didn't get on the scale.

Food
    6:30 coffee with 2T HWC and stevia
    10:00 smoothie-1C Almond milk, 1C green tea, .5C frozen spinach, .5C broccoli, .5C frozen raspberries, 1scoop Jay Robb, 1T gelatin, 1T cocoa powder, .25tsp cinnamon, 1tsp xylitol, 1T MCT oil, 2T flaxseed meal, .25tsp xanthum gum, and stevia.
    1:00 fire and ice salad (garden fresh tomatoes, cukes, and onions with a bit of homemade Italian dressing), can of tuna with 1T homemade mayo. YUM!
    4:30 2T PB dipped in a sprinkle of coconut and protein powder
    7:00 ground beef mixed with tomatoes and onions, mixed greens, avocado, peach salsa, dollop of sour cream, dollop refried beans

General activities for today....a bit of yard work, a trip to Walmart to pick up gun storage for DS, and getting ready for school.
    Last edited by demuralist; 07-31-2012 at 04:59 AM.

WOW. I got some sleep last night! 5:48 with 4 stretches of over an hour, 3 of them around 80 minutes. 90 minutes still seems elusive, but then again maybe my circadian rhythm isn't 90 minutes long? I feel good this morning.

food
    6:30 coffee
    7:30 smoothie

ThankfulnessI am ready for school to begin so I can get back to a routine. Odd for me because I am not a routine kind of person, but I am ready.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I am so glad about your sleep getting better these past few days. Do you think having time with your mom has relaxed you?