Page 172 of 609 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 6089

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 172

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    My N=1 experiment. 1. Cut way back on dairy, nightshades, grains, and sugar 2. take a flavorless shot of calories in the form of MCT or Extra Light Olive oil chased by a tsp of xylitol in a liter of water in the middle of a 2 hour flavorless time span twice a day 3. take a 1 hour nap or listen to meditation

Yesterday...well I did do smaller portions yesterday, then I did get hungry at the end of the night. I made a little 'snack' but really I could have either had another cup of tea or just gone to bed. No big deal (a T of cream cheese, a T of PB, a few walnuts and some stevia) but I could have done without. But part of learning to listen to my body is eating a little something when my tummy is growling so that I can learn to trust myself.

I am still totally of the belief that we gain weight when we eat more than our bodies need...that day. The calorie number, I believe, is not one we can calculate. We just have to learn to listen to our bodies cues, my body knows when it needs calories and it knows when I need to stop, I know that the only way I will lose weight and keep it off is to learn to listen, correctly interpret, and ACT UPON those cues.

This morning I decided to go back to my BPC. It is not drastically different that what I do every morning in calories/carbs/anything else, and I like the taste of it. My version is 14oz of coffee, 1T HWC, 1T coconut oil, 1T kerrygold, and stevia all stirred with a stick blender to make it foamy.

My optimism is down a bit, hoping the BPC will help my mood!

STATS:
    Calories: 1936
    Carbs: 60
    Fat: 170
    Protein: 97
    Fiber: 17 Net Carbs: 43
    Sugar: 18

carbs and sugar came from fruits and veggies, I didn't have any grain, flour, or sugar yesterday, yahoo, that is 3 days.

Result: 259.4 RATS hanging in the plateau

My Golden Rules:

1. Eat only when physically hungry
    2. Eat only what I really want
    3. Eat slowly, mindfully, consciously
    4. Stop when I am no longer hungry
    5. shots of tasteless oil in the middle of 2 hour flavorless time window

Sleep yesterday:
    overnight 4:38
    meditation/nap: 1:50
    total 6:28!

Thankfulness: my job! I get 3 day weekends, work 4 mornings, and the pay is very good (DH would be happier if I worked more hours, but that will come I think). Anyway it allows me plenty of time to do my creative things, keep up with the house (particularly important this week as we have company coming), and not feel stressed. Now if I could start selling the stuff I make, life could be perfect.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. I use a fitbit to record actual sleep. I am in bed for between 7 and 8 1/2 hours, but am only actually sleeping 4 to 5. I try to nap/meditate mid afternoon because for some reason my sleep efficiency is much better then.

p.s. welcome! and good luck on your primal journey.

Thanks, been lurking for a while, time to get active on the forums.

I haven't followed this thread and it has probably been discussed before, but that lack of sleep seems like a major problem to me. As far as I can see, any changes you do to your diet will be pretty pointless for weight loss until you get a good solid 7-8 hours of sleep. If you stick with 5 hours you may want to check out "sleep hacking" as practised by the Bulletproof guy, see Step 5: Improve Your Sleep The Bulletproof Executive

Thank you so much for the link, I will spend some serious time investigating it. And yes the lack of sleep is a major problem, but "normal" remedies have not fixed it. So this link may have something that will. I really do appreciate that you took the time to post it!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

My N=1 experiment. 1. Cut way back on dairy, nightshades, grains, and sugar 2. take a flavorless shot of calories in the form of MCT or Extra Light Olive oil chased by a tsp of xylitol in a liter of water in the middle of a 2 hour flavorless time span twice a day 3. take a 1 hour nap or listen to meditation

Yesterday...well I had what I would consider a pretty successful day. My eating was controlled, in other words I followed my 4 golden rules. I got a lot accomplished around the house. And I got a meditation in.

I did my BPC in the morning, which feels like such a treat it is so yummy. I did my flavorless shots in their windows of time. I ate when I was hungry, stopped before I was stuffed, had no sugar or flour.

Result 260, up .4 RATS, damn plateau.

My optimism is down but not out!

STATS:
    Calories: 1644
    Carbs: 36
    Fat: 146
    Protein: 63
    Fiber: 16 Net Carbs: 20
    Sugar: 6

carbs and sugar came from fruits and veggies, I didn't have any grain, flour, or sugar yesterday, yahoo, that is 4 days.

My Golden Rules:

1. Eat only when physically hungry
    2. Eat only what I really want
    3. Eat slowly, mindfully, consciously
    4. Stop when I am no longer hungry
    5. shots of tasteless oil in the middle of 2 hour flavorless time window

Sleep yesterday:
    overnight 5:22
    meditation/nap: :30
    total 5:52

Thankfulness: I am very grateful for the support I get from my (2) online journals, not only does it feel like I have people surrounding me with open arms, but I learn a lot as well.

I roamed around the site "BulletProof Executive" yesterday. Looking for clues to improve my sleep. Unfortunately, I have not found anything yet that I can institute to help. His bulletproof diet is not far off of what I already do (I could tighten this up, but will have to do it slowly so the family doesn't catch me). He suggests a lot of supplements. I am not comfortable taking supplements unless I have been tested and found deficient (ie. my vitamin D levels are low). Also, I don't really trust that supplements have what they say in a form that my body will absorb, and don't know how to check on this unless I get tested fairly regularly to see if they are working and that I am not overdosing.

Most of what I found, so far, on his site also concentrates on insomnia, but falling asleep is not really my issue so much as staying asleep. So I will keep roaming there hoping to find insight, because I really need to figure out how to get a higher efficiency of sleep.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    If you find anything on the sleep thing, let me know. Likewise, if I find anything, I'll be sure to share. That's my same issue as well.

Today is PN registration. The program starts on Monday. I'm traveling again the next two weeks, so I haven't/won't been/be around much

Take care and hang in there.
    -- Ruth

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I may be wrong, and forgive me if I am, but it seems like the days your weight drops your carbs are higher and the days your weight goes up or remains steady are your lower carb days.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Ruth, can't wait to hear about PN! I will most definitely let you know what I learn regarding staying asleep!

Honeybuns, thanks for the observation, I have been focused on the calories and the fact that they don't predict the scale, I missed that, I really need to sit down and make a graph. I am not really limiting carbs per se right now. But it does work out that way on many days. Probably because I have limited them for so long I am just used to it.

Ruth, found a thread that said being deficient in vitamin D causes sleep disorders, ...Most of the neu*ro*log*i*cal prob*lems my patients have are not directly related to vitamin D, they are related to the fact that D defi*ciency causes sleep dis*or*ders; insom*nia, sleep apnea, REM related apnea, unex*plained awak*en*ings to light sleep, inap*pro*pri*ate body move*ments dur*ing sleep. All of these dis*or*ders keep us from heal*ing our bod*ies dur*ing sleep. When the sleep improves the headaches, seizures, foot burn*ing, tremor, body pain, walk*ing dif*fi*cul*ties, depres*sion, mem*ory loss, etc. all get bet*ter"

those are my problems! Luckily the only consequence of my sleep issue has been my weight! Well and some memory issues right now, and depression in the past. also, I know that I am D deficient, I had my doc mega dose me a few years back, not sure why it stopped, but I was supposed to keep taking it from over the counter, and well I am not good at taking my medicine. So for the next couple of weeks I am going to do 2,000iu 3 times a day. That is less than what I was prescribed (50,000iu once a week). So I know it is safe for me for at least the 6 weeks is was prescribed. That puts me at the beginning of September. We will see if this is the missing link!

I have got to get some good quality sleep.
    Chris
    Unknown

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    You know, that's something to really think about. One df the best things I've seen. Most everything addresses insomnia - rarely my problem. Those are a LOT of my problems. You are awesome!!! (ps - registered for PN. Can't wait to come back & share!)
    -- Ruth