Page 170 of 626 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 6253

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 170

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think the body has a "sweet spot" for weight loss that changes as we get trimmer (though not linearly). Too little food and body uses all it can to just run itself (I don't know about starvation, per se, but more along the lines of enough enough to get through the day). Too much, and well, we know what happens.

I also firmly believe sleep, stress, etc. play a big role. I could be wrong, but I've experienced it for myself (although maybe I eat too much when I'm tired, stressed, etc., and then we're back to calories).

As far as exercise, I don't believe it's necessary for weight loss. In fact, too much, and it messes with the appetite. I workout to strengthen my body for things I enjoy - like hiking. I also use it to maintain muscle mass so that hopefully when I do lose, I'm not losing my hard-earned muscle Actually, I've been working out like a fiend during this period I've gained 15 pounds (though I believe a little bit of it was actually muscle -- unfortunately, I gained some fat on top of it).
    -- Ruth

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    My N=1 experiment. 1. Cut way back on dairy and nightshades and -obviously- grains 2. take a flavorless shot of calories in the form of coconut oil or Olive oil in the middle of a 2 hour flavorless time span twice a day with a tsp of xylitol in a liter of water 3. take a 1 hour nap or listen to meditation

Yesterday...well, I would not call it a success. Through out the day I did very well, although I was not able to do my nap or meditation because I was away from the house. Then after dinner, and this is pretty rare for me, I usually do this pre dinner, I went looking for sweets. I made a cupcake in a mug (primal and pretty low carb), then had a 1/2 C of icecream with a tablespoon of chocolate chips.

I don't think my body wants to hover in the 1400 calorie range and when I hit that for a couple of days I seem to start to look for calories. I am going to keep a closer eye on this.

My optimism is waning, but my curiosity is peeked.

STATS:

Calories: 1955
    Carbs: 86
    Fat: 148
    Protein: 68
    Fiber: 22 Net Carbs: 64
    Sugar: 45

Result: 259..2 down .4

My Golden Rules:

1. Eat only when physically hungry
    2. Eat only what I really want
    3. Eat slowly, mindfully, consciously
    4. Stop when I am no longer hungry
    5. shots of tasteless oil in the middle of 2 hour flavorless time window

Sleep yesterday:
    overnight 5:11
    meditation :00, not home during the day

Thankfulness: my curly hair, because even when I think it looks like crap, I get compliments on it, and it looks like today is one of those days.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

sorry I missed the question about xylitol, it is a sweetener, alcohol based that naturally occurs in some fruits and veggies. Science supports a variety of positive attributes to it (although I have not dug hard it could be that a maker of xylitol paid for the research).
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I'm SO envious of your hair. It's gorgeous. [and, your figure, and your optimism]. I really enjoy you on the forums. You must be so must fun in person

Don't let the results discourage you. I think you have learned a ton. Perhaps you should finish out what you're doing for the week and then next week add one thing - and only one thing - to the mix and see what happens (I suggest the nap/meditation). You're laying a good foundation and just likely need one or two tweaks to start the losing process again.
    -- Ruth

Ruth, you are so sweet, and I think you are right. I am very close to a breakthrough, and it is probably best to tweak one thing at a time so I know what it was that worked, since I believe I will have to pretty much keep whatever it is up for the rest of my life.

I am sure we would have a lot of fun together! I am usually up for most anything.
    Chris
    Unknown

My N=1 experiment. 1. Cut way back on dairy and nightshades and -obviously- grains 2. take a flavorless shot of calories in the form of MCT or Olive oil in the middle of a 2 hour flavorless time span twice a day with a tsp of xylitol in a liter of water 3. take a 1 hour nap or listen to meditation

Yesterday...well, I would not call it a success, but also not a total failure. Again, early in the day everything went well. Then the witching hour came, a tad later than usual. I ate...some greek yogurt, a few almonds, a small slice of leftover pasta pie, seaweed, a scoop of icecream, etc. But the not a total failure part...I had a small salad at dinner and that was it. I obviously was not hungry for dinner so I didn't eat it. That is a victory, because I normally eat it anyway since I made it.

I did do the meditation yesterday, but not until after the feeding frenzy. mmm

My optimism is waning, but my curiosity is peeked.

STATS: didn't keep up

Result: 260.2

My Golden Rules:

1. Eat only when physically hungry
    2. Eat only what I really want
    3. Eat slowly, mindfully, consciously
    4. Stop when I am no longer hungry
    5. shots of tasteless oil in the middle of 2 hour flavorless time window

Sleep yesterday:
    overnight 5:43
    meditation :28

Thankfulness: perseverance, holding on even without results...yet.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Chris, I am so proud of you for faithfully continuing your experiments.

I am following eating rules similar to you 1-4 based on Geneen Roth's books. But I feel so frustrated and confused. Why can't I just do Primal and not binge. I reread my 2012 journal this morning. I had my best success doing whole 30: No sweeteners, no dairy, no processed, limited fruit. Something to think about. The problem is that my ED counselor thinks I am bingeing because I have been denying myself. If that is so, then whole 30 would be a bad idea. Argh My head is spinning!

Thanks. This journal is the first time I have kept records of what I have tried, that I can go back and check. I have gone through so many different things in my life trying to lose weight. I am almost certain that if I had never started I would be a mildly soft, but healthy happy woman. I have nothing in my past that would explain any emotional issues regarding food except for the endless dieting. I honestly believe it is totally physical. It ends up being emotional mind you, but I think that the answer is somewhere deep down in the cells. I believe that my body is holding on to the fat because it believes it is the best survival mode to be in right now. I have to figure out what it is going to take to convince it that thinner would be better.

Now I happen to think that it is highly likely that the reason it holds on to the fat is that it is starving, ie. missing something. (so in this sense I tend to agree with your ED counselor) It is part of the reason I like this new thing with the oil, because it is different than anything I have tried before, and in essentially all of my past weight loss attempts low-fat has been if not the the major component either a part of it intended or not. Even when I started Primal, for the most part I was high protein, low carb, moderate fat. And while I have done a stint of higher fat with moderate protein, it was fairly short lived (well the attempt was a month long, the success rate was pretty inconsistent).

So I am going to really work this, at least until I run out of the MCT (which is supposed to be good for me anyway, right?)

I am following Ruth's advice and trying not to change anything for a month, working to do my meditation daily, and follow my plan, and crossing my fingers. Then once DS starts back to school I will be adding movement such as either the treadmill or a new program I found...https://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/ or a combo of the 2.
    Chris
    Unknown

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Could you explain the oil thing again? or point me to the original post. I think I missed it
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

The idea behind the oil is that unflavored calories help to lower your weight set point. If your body thinks your setpoint is lower than your current weight it will begin to want less food, thus reducing your drive to eat. (in a nutshell). So the idea is to have flavorless calories in the middle of a 2 hour flavorless window in order to nudge your setpoint down. He says you can do that with sugar water (NOT going there) or oils. So I am trying the oils. So I stop eating or drinking anything with flavor, then 1 hour later I chug 1 1/2T of either extra light Olive oil or MCT (one in the morning, one in the afternoon) then chase that with a liter of water that has a tsp of xylitol (apparently that is ok as a sugar substitute). I do this twice a day. (you can also, hold your nose -or clip it- while you do this or even while you eat)

I have been reading his forumssethroberts.net forums - Index trying to get clearer on the details, but the book came out quite a while ago and the forums are not very active at all, so questions don't get answered (so far), but there is a lot of info-which of course has to be taken with the same grain of salt that info on this or any other forum should be taken with. I did also read the book, but the forums go further with details, etc.

The general idea of the body wanting less and therefore pushing you to crave foods less, fits into my general beliefs of why I binge, so I thought I would give it a try.

Technically you are supposed to take your current weight in pounds multiply by 2, and that tells you how many flavorless calories you are supposed to be getting. For me that would be 500 or 4 to 5 tablespoons of oil. But the suggestion is also that you start slow, and once you choose your oil or oils you don't change them for at least 2 weeks or it starts the process over since different oils require different enzymes to break down in the system. I am getting close to 300 calories, but I just added MCT yesterday (was using EVCO, but it is a PITA to melt and not get too hot, etc).

I am only a week in (really now only 2 days) and it is supposed to take about 2 weeks or so to kick in before you make any adjustments.

Theoretically once you get to goal, you can reduce the amount and frequency of flavorless calories for maintenance.