Page 166 of 600 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 5996

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 166

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sounds like a great day in the making. Take the nap. Ive been following your lead on that and water intake.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Half the deck sealed and nap in, now its time to clean the house and make the dinner for the guests.

I drink a lot of fluids, not much straight water, but it doesn't seem to matter to my body that it isn't plain. I chug straight water after working out or in the yard or whatever, but through out the day...my morning coffee with HWC (16oz), then green tea with hWC iced (24oz), then double dark chocolate mate- iced (24oz), then coconut cocoa-iced (24oz), then the ACV (32oz), then at the end of the night my red velvet rooibus iced with HWC (24oz). Which I think adds up to 144oz (mental math is not my strong suit). Any water I drink is on top of that. Each type of tea has a different purpose (besides I really like the flavors), although I can't remember what the reasons are any more.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Chris,

I am trying to catch up. I love the thankful ness of the day. It is sometimes so easy to forget the thankful parts of our lives and focus on the frustrations. Of this I am guilty and need to reevaluate this

How long are your naps and when are you taking them? Are the naps affecting your evening sleep? The only reason I ask is that often when i nap, I do not sleep as much at night.

I can not wait to see the pictures of your latest projects!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

No time this morning for my usual journal entry, I will try later.

But I have to do this...Thankful today for the incredible weather. Every time I stick my head out I cannot help but be blown away by it. It is truly stunningly gorgeous out. I may nap in the hammock! oooo

I have found that 1 hour in bed is just about right (Mark's article suggested 90 minutes, but I feel too groggy after that long). I try to do it so that I am done by 3. And it has not effected my night time sleep, in fact it may be improved. I am trying to get to 7 hours of actual sleep in a 24 hour period, but finding that staying in bed longer does not necessarily get me there. Also, if the family can stop stomping around for the hour, my sleep efficiency is much better during the day.

They do help enormously though so I will try to keep them up. when my mom worked in the high school, she used to come home and start looking for food, so she instituted a nap then, but she could do 30 minute ones.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I know when I get out of school during the year I am EXHAUSTED!! I sleep a lot in the summer to make it up but I really need a 30 min nap when I get home. The problem is during the year I get home after 4pm and a nap might inhibit night sleep as i am up @ 5:30am during the year. There HAS to be a happy medium.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Yeah, I am trying to get to a point where I wake up at 5:30 naturally, no alarm by the time school starts again. But I only work half days so a nap is still easy for me to get in. Can you do 45 to 60 minutes at 4. Then in bed by 11, gives you a nice amount of sleep, assuming a decent efficiency?
    Chris
    Unknown

Here we go again...

VLC (net), moderate protein, high fat
    No added sugars or flour
    No restrictions, goals or limits on veggies
    Eat only when physically hungry (tummy growling)
    Eat mindfully

My goal is to keep working at being a doer. Get away from my food focus.

Yesterday, I got the laundry done, and got sealant on the rails of the deck-I plan to do a bit each night after dinner till I get it done. So last night I got about an hour and a half in before it got too dark.

Our church is going to have a garage sale in August, yeah, I will keep gathering the stuff I have been planning to take to goodwill and drag it over there. It is after DD goes back to school too, so anything she leaves is going over too!

This week, I need to keep working the sealant on the deck, get the AC fixed in my car, go pick up the cotton cord to start another doily rug, give the house a very thorough vacuum and mopping (I have been doing too much spot cleaning not enough of the deep stuff).

Yesterday's STATS:

Calories: 1380
    Carbs: 48
    Fat:101
    Protein: 78
    Fiber: 18 NET CARBS: 30
    Sugar:20

Yes, yes, I had one of the leftover, petite desserts from Monday night, they are very small, but obviously pack a bit of carb and sugar. No sugar today (that is my mantra!)

result 261.4 up .2

Thankfulness: today I am very thankful for a good night's sleep! I had an 80% efficiency last night and got in 6:05 hours, add my nap today and I will be getting very close to my 7:30 goal! I am shocked I slept so well, because I was/am sore from scooting along on my butt to paint the sealant on the deck floor and forgot to take anything for it. Yeah for good sleep!
    Last edited by demuralist; 06-27-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: add thankfulness
    Chris
    Unknown

OMG! The nap was of no use yesterday. I had a food fest. 2 biscuits, big ones, blueberries, strawberries, a fig. All that on top of my "normal" fare. So the result way too many calories/carbs and a gain of 3.4 pounds. Now it was not enough extra calories to actually put on 3.4 pounds of fat over night, but it was enough to make me feel like crap last night. Cannot understand why, I know that eating like that (ie. in excess) makes me feel like crap, ruins my sleep, makes me gain weight, and yet I am drawn to cakey, flour type things, and of course sweet things. If it isn't sugar it is in fruit.

I will continue reprinting these goals until they are ingrained in my head!

No added sugars or flour
    Eat mindfully

Sleep yesterday:
    overnight 6:05
    nap :52
    TOTAL 6:57 getting there!

STATS:

Calories: 2289
    Carbs: 118!
    Fat:159
    Protein: 82
    Fiber: 18 NET CARBS: 100
    Sugar:39 this is still pretty low, given my carb intake.

Thankfulness: I get a new day to start again. I am about half way through my new days and I need to make this one count. I saw a quote yesterday that said basically 'it makes me joyful to know that some of my best days are still ahead of me'. Gotta stop eating my way through my days, so I can focus on living my way through them!
    Last edited by demuralist; 06-28-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: add info
    Chris
    Unknown

No nap yesterday, but not for lack of trying. Got a phone call, on my cell phone, for my DD from her doctor's office about 10 minutes after I laid down. Then about 10 minutes later DH got home and came in with a buddy, they were going to put the guns away (they had gone shooting all morning). So they clomp into the room chatting away (the door was closed-which only happens if I don't want people to come in, a pretty rare event) said oops and clomped back out. Couldn't fall back asleep because I was irritated, so I just got up.

I was roaming around on the threads yesterday, and then checking the stuff I read against science I found on the internet. I read about Lectin. Not seen this info before. Talked about some Lectins being toxic to some people. Now most of the websites suggest cutting out all foods with Lectin and then adding things back in. But I am going to go the opposite way, in that I am going to cut out one thing at a time and see what happens.

So, I have already cut out grains, basically, but now I will get serious/consistent about this. As these seem to be the most likely culprits (according to websites).

Also, regarding dairy. I have been adding a lot of HWC to my drinks. I noticed this when I was telling someone what I drink in a day. It is essentially 1/2 a cup daily of heavy cream. So, I am not willing to stop ALL HWC, but I will only now add it to my morning coffee, and for the rest I will either go back to drinking my tea without cream or if I really feel I need cream will add the Non-dairy primal creamer that I made yesterday. It is made with coconut milk and coconut oil and egg, and I have been trying to figure out how to get some coconut milk into my diet daily and this will be an easy, yummy way to do it. Now I just have to be careful not to turn this into a binge type thing-it is the consistency of whipped cream and just as yummy! I don't do much in the way of other dairy, just occasional cheese, so I will concentrate on the HWC for now.

Other problems regarding Lectins, seem to be nightshades. If the drop in dairy doesn't help I will give up the nightshades and see what happens.

A new N=1 experiment. Fun.

No added sugars or flour
    Eat mindfully

Sleep yesterday:
    overnight 5:59
    nap :12
    TOTAL 6:11 hours, but it didn't seem to negatively effect my eating yesterday. Maybe because I decided that since I didn't get enough sleep, I was not going to push myself to do anything=zero stress to get things done.

STATS:

Calories: 1503
    Carbs: 43
    Fat:122
    Protein: 68
    Fiber: 5 NET CARBS: 38
    Sugar:22, these are from the blueberries and strawberries, which are beautiful and fragrant right now, I cannot deny myself these when in season, so I just had a small amount of each, with a bit of the coconut cream mix, yum.

Thankfulness: I feel hopeful today. After finding the info on the Lectins, I feel like I could get a handle on this whole situation. Even if it isn't the Lectins, I know the answer is out there and I will find it soon. It is likely a matter of pulling all I know together and making it work. But today, I feel like I can and will do that!
    Last edited by demuralist; 06-29-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: math duh!

A new N=1 experiment. Fun. It went well. I did only use the HWC for my coffee. I used the coconut creamer for 1 of my teas, and drank the rest straight. No hardship, they are all yummy that way too.

So, at the risk of tweaking too many things at once....I saw something yesterday about using tasteless calories to break a set point, (called the Shangri-La Diet) so I am going to give it a shot. I will put 1T of coconut oil into a few ounces of water, heat it up, then chug it while holding my nose, then chase it with a glass of water. I am supposed to do this in the middle of a 2 hour stint with no other flavors. In other words 1 hour with no tastes, chug, then another hour with no tastes. (I will go pick up the book from the library this weekend so I can get more details, but it seems pretty self explanatory, and most of these books just do repetition ad nauseum anyway) .

On the surface this sounds goofy, but as part of the Low Carb Mediterranean Diet that I started this whole journey with (and the only part I was really successful -weight wise- with) he suggested you take tablespoons full of Olive Oil. I never did it, but I got to thinking that combined with this, couldn't hurt anything right? There are many in the forums who take a T of fat in one way or another, this is just a bit more specific about the details. It is about 100 extra calories, but it is happening at the time I am cutting quite a few calories out by dropping the HWC. And it still fits in with my goals, for low carb, moderate protein and high fat. So I am going to give it a shot, starting today.

No added sugars or flour
    Eat mindfully

Sleep yesterday:
    overnight 5:20
    nap :43
    TOTAL 6:03 hours, but it didn't seem to negatively effect my eating yesterday. Maybe it is just the mental attitude that I get from actually taking the nap? It makes me feel like I am doing something just for me. It is my act of "taking care of myself". Others get a massage, or mani/pedi, or shop, or whatever...I take naps.

STATS:

Calories: 1472
    Carbs: 30
    Fat:109
    Protein: 123 (obviously not moderate, can't believe I had trouble getting this up and now I have trouble keeping it down!)
    Fiber: 10 NET CARBS: 20
    Sugar:9, from dried cranberries in a nut mix I threw in the salad.

Result 261.4 down .2, but really I am pretty much maintaining here, for the month of July I have been from 258.8 to 264.8, essentially a 5 pound fluctuation that I consider maintenance. Unfortunately it is about 100 pounds over where I want to be maintaining.

Thankfulness: Livin for the weekend! I am thankful the weather is holding out for this weekend so I can finish putting the sealant on my deck. Then I can move on to my next project-cleaning up and painting the original 1950's porch set I got at a garage sale 4 years ago!
    Chris
    Unknown