Page 164 of 643 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 6421

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 164

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My sweet toothed daughter made homemade caramels today. During my witching hour. That would be my second favorite candy, next to heath bars. Ate it till I was almost sick, it is idiotic.

I am bringing big rocks over from my neighbors house for my rock garden. I pile them into the back of the highlander then dump them on my pile. Soon I will have to do some sort of arrangement and start planting around them.

The lawn is dead, again, I will now, finally be looking into grass alternatives. Currently thinking of using a mix of Creeping Thymes.
    Dh is worried I will decrease the value of the home if I don't have any grass. I think having an environmentally friendly as well as an extremely low maintenance 'yard' will increase the value. He just likes to argue this stuff out, cause he knows that since I do the work I will make the final decision.

Landscape, like many things, I do not feel comfortable paying for when I am capable of doing it myself. Not that I will get to it all. When we built our home in Florida we hired a Landscape Architect to do it, but I had not had a Master Gardener Class yet. I do the same thing with art. So as a consequence, we have a few bare walls at our house.

I put a sealant on the steps and railings to my deck today. Hoping to power wash the deck part tomorrow then stain a compass rose into the center of it, then seal the last bit. Would love to finish it by this weekend.

I am almost finished with the giant doily rug I crocheted. I just need to put the final border on it. It will be almost 5 feet across. I plan to donate this to a fund raising auction. Then make one for my master bedroom, then hopefully start selling them. I found the idea on ETSY and she sells them for $600.Doily Rug Crafting Meaningful Home - Homes Result - Architecture News and Home Design Collection It takes about $70 dollars worth of material and 10 hours of crocheting, that doesn't include picking up the materials and delivering it of course. I can do them at night while DH has control of the remote. It is pretty mindless so I can keep company while I do them. Would love to be able to sell at least a few. The other nice thing is that one spool of the cotton makes 1 rug, no leftovers, I like not having to deal with what to do with the small bits left over from a project.

I hope your landscape project goes well. And I guess we are just going to have to muddle through this mind game we play with ourselves.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

The result of yesterday's feeding frenzy....260.2 down one pound.

and here we have what I would consider the main reason for not being able to stick to a plan. I am not rewarded with a loss when I am on plan, but still manage to lose when I go off plan. So is there a problem with the plan? Must be, but how to fix it is the question that comes up time and again.

It is my firm belief that our bodies will lead us to what we need. If we can learn to listen. If we can keep our brains from overriding. So the next question is what did my body decide it needed yesterday? And is my body trying to maintain the status quo (obesity) or is it working its way to a thinner more agile person and I am fighting it?

I am going to assume the latter. The body wants to survive, and the best chance of survival has got to be in a thinner more agile structure. So what was it looking for yesterday?

Possibilities...extra calories, more carbohydrates, salt, or simply quantity (to prime the pump so to speak).

I am at a loss, I am going to think I was just taking advantage of a situation of plenty and go back to the plan I have for the end of the month, lets see how it goes...

So, take 2.. my plan for the second half of June (since my plan for the first half worked so well;~))...

VLC (net), moderate protein, high fat...I have looked back over a year's worth of food tracking and I never actually tried this tweak, so giving it a try for the rest of the month.
    No added sugars or flour....going to try to accomplish this one at least through the end of the month as well.
    No restrictions, goals or limits on veggies... except as my net carbs require.
    we will see where the carbs fall as I increase the healthy fats
    Eat only when physically hungry (tummy growling)...this is still and hopefully always a big part of the plan
    Eat mindfully...again, part of the whole point is to learn this.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

So this is why it is always a good idea to track your food intake. I went back and mentally recreated everything I ate yesterday afternoon and as faithfully as I could I put it into myfitnesspal. Here is what I got...

Calories...1714 (!)
    Carbs....124
    Fat...114
    Protein....66
    Fiber...15
    Sugar....90

So yes it was totally non primal, but at least homemade. My calories were within my normal range! As was my fat, protein, and fiber. Oh yes my carbs and sugar were WAY high-for me. But probably still well under the "normal" diet for most Americans.

So this now tells me that, maybe just maybe, I do stop when my body is done (there is still tons of caramel left).
    Chris
    Unknown

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I think one of the problems is that sometimes what shows up on the scale today can be a reflection of a day or two earlier...though not always. If things were only consistent, it would sure be easier.

I don't know if I could have the caramels in the house. Unless they had dairy, I'd be ALL over them!
    -- Ruth

So, take 2.. my plan for the second half of June (since my plan for the first half worked so well;~))...

Lets just say today is a do-over!

VLC (net), moderate protein, high fat...not likely
    No added sugars or flour....gotta stay out of DD's goodies
    No restrictions, goals or limits on veggies... I don't think I had 3.
    Eat only when physically hungry (tummy growling)...this is still a big part of the plan, wish I could get there.
    Eat mindfully...again, part of the whole point is to learn this. really wish I could get here.

result 261.2 up again and started TOM

Last night right as I was falling asleep, my brain kept repeating the insanity definition "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result=insanity". And I know that when I finally was able to quit smoking, I totally changed nearly everything I did on a daily basis. So one thing I am toying with is the idea of tightening my time in bed at night and then napping during the day, as per an article of Mark's from a week or so ago. Basically be in bed from 11 to 6 and then nap for 90 minutes in the middle of the day. I know that is 7 hours in bed, but my sleep efficiency means is it really only about 5 hours sleep. My daytime efficiency is much better. Thinking I am having hot flashes at night which are disrupting my sleep. I wake up in the morning and my hair and top are damp, and the night DH was out of town I cranked the AC but it made no difference.

the caveat for this is that, if I am going to do it I need to not sit in front of the tv after dinner. In order to give up 90 minutes of possibly productive time in the middle of the day I need to be productive at the end of the day. So that is the catch!

I also want to put my home computer on a pedestal. So if I am on it I have to stand. I have tried to cut back, but it seems that the computer is my go to for rest. Not a bad thing except that it eats up a ton of time once on it. I am pretty sure that standing there will cut back on the time spent surfing. Plus it is more work for the body to stand than to sit.
    Chris
    Unknown

Yesterday...

VLC (net), moderate protein, high fat...pretty low carb, but kinda high protein
    No added sugars or flour....YES!!!! finally a totally sugar/flour free day
    No restrictions, goals or limits on veggies... I had 4 veggies and no fruit.
    Eat only when physically hungry (tummy growling)...yep, pretty much, hungry not starving.
    Eat mindfully...yep, plated and seated.

Result 260 down 1.2

So yesterday was the first day of my napping experiment. I do not sleep well at night, but sleep very well during the day, so I decided to shorten the time I am in bed at night and take naps. So working with the idea of circadian rhythms, I took a 90 minute nap. It took me some time to recover from it, I felt groggy for quite a while. But, I did not have any sugar cravings yesterday. And I accidentally found DD's caramel stash, and she baked another batch of cookies, but I had no interest, they did not call to me. thinking there may be something to this sleep thing.

I am hoping that as my body gets used to this new schedule I will get up and go more quickly after the nap. Also hoping that I get to where I wake up at 5:30 in the mornings, this morning it was 6, so I am not that far off. According to my fitbit, my nap efficiency was 100%, once I fell asleep, and last night's efficiency was up to 71%. Hopefully I can get to where my total daily sleep is actually close to 8 hours. Yesterday, night and nap total was 6:15. My night's have been averaging about 5 hours of actual sleep.

I was more active after dinner than normal as well. I think once my body gets used to this I will do well.

The Stats:

Calories...1624
    Carbs....34 NET...21
    Fat...128
    Protein....85 (trying to keep this in the 60's for the next 2 weeks)
    Fiber...13
    Sugar...13

p.s. I finished the doily rug, now DD is going to do one for her dorm, then I will do one for the master bedroom (we only have one giant "needle" so we can only do one at a time). So I am going to start cutting the shirts for her t-shirt quilt, while she crochets. I am also working on the compass rose on our deck.
    Chris
    Unknown

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on the no-sugar day. That is fantastic!
    I'll be interested to see how your sleep experiment goes. I luckily do not have problems with night sleeping, but I find it fascinating when non-eating things end up being the key to moving weight-loss forward, and I am wondering if that is what it is for you.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Woo hoo - great job yesterday.

I feel somewhat terrible when I wake up from my naps, but then I have a fantastic burst of energy that carries me through the rest of the evening. It gives me a "second" life and makes my evenings more enjoyable. I too notice that I do better in terms of food if I'm well rested.

Have a fantastic day.

(Pictures of the rug?)
    -- Ruth

I will try to get the photo on here, but I am seriously techno challenged.
    Chris
    Unknown

this is a reminder to me...starting in the morning, I will add at least 1 thing I am thankful for at the end of my daily journal.
    Chris
    Unknown