Page 149 of 644 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 6431

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 149

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Lots and lots of experts!

problem is, that the evidence is everywhere, and depending on where you look, you can get it to say anything.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    very very true. That is one thing that makes it so hard.. you have to wade through the bullshit and that does not burn calories.. oh wait, its not calories in calories out.. or is it? hahahahahaha
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I think the hard thing is that primal/paleo is an overall framework. We have to experiment a bit and find our niche within. Some of us need a few more carbs, or a little more fat, or a little more protein. Plus, it's different when you are maintaining versus losing versus building muscle. Of course, some common sense is needed! We *want* it to say we can do whatever we want and we'll still magically drop the weight. I struggle because DH needs a lot more calories than I do, even though he weighs 30 pounds less. He also needs more carbs than I can handle and wants sauce on everything (while I need plainer food). But, the basic framework is laid out well in the PB [and, pretty similarly, in Robb Wolf's book].
    -- Ruth

I saw a video the other day by a colleague of Dr. Lustig. She was giving a lecture on the research regarding diets that work, etc. Her final conclusion. Calories do count and where they come from mostly helps you to stay with the program. (this is of course statistics and does not necessarily apply to any specific individual). She also said that low carb diets are proven to work much better the first year and after that the low fat and the low carb perform equally and that what makes any one successful is sticking to it. Her advice, find a plan you can live with for life. Which makes perfect sense to me.

But, she also admitted that the low carb dieters had better numbers across the board (blood lipids, etc).

It is my ultimate goal to get to a point where I eat not only seasonally but also locally. Very hard to do, it is going to take some research. But since it seems to be a growing trend, I am sort of waiting for it to take off and then there will be all sorts of resources and I won't have to do the work.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

I don't do well at either seasonally or locally. Seasonally I'd like to get better at. Locally...well, not sure what that would mean here in NM
    -- Ruth

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I think its harder to eat locally and in season based on some locations..i.e. growing seasons and local productions.. i am surprised KS has few farmers markets with food. Its mostly crafts..but the food they do have is SO FRICKIN EXPENSIVE
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

We can do well here seasonally and locally, it is reasonably priced and summer stuff is beautiful. I just don't love winter veggies, they are sparse and high in carbs generally. But this is supposed to be a bumper crop of strawberries in Tennessee this year. And I can't pass those up. I do think this will get easier and easier as the movement grows, just they way organic did.
    Chris
    Unknown

I agree -- it will get easier as awareness and demand rise. I hope in a few years, it will be the "normal" instead of the exception.
    -- Ruth

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I am interested in eventually getting to where I eat seasonally, but as I am still healing and losing weight, I figure I don't need the challenge right now. One thing at a time. Speaking of which, I am trying your Precision Nutrition idea of adding in one new habit until you have it down pat, then another. Successfully added a multi-vitamin to my daily line-up, which was mostly just a matter of buying a bottle and putting it with my others. Now I am trying to add one brazil nut per day. Don't want to take it with my vitamins because it is food, and I don't want to set off the eating cycle early in the morning, so I am trying to find a routine that will help me remember. I may resort to just leaving them on the table. Any tips for making a new habit easy to remember?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am with you on that. Basically working through healing and weight loss, it is my suspicion that that will coincide with the upsurge of available local stuff!

I wish I could help with the habit. The thing that has worked for me is to attach it to something I already do. Maybe do it with lunch? Lunch is my most consistent meal.

Funny, I like to take my supplements and meds right after food (ie. not on an emplty stomach) as it keeps them from giving me an upset belly, but I also sor tof thought it would make them absorb better.

Since I take my supplements/meds morning and night, I move them from one place to another on my counter so I know if I took them already or not. Plus that way I don't get used to seeing them and them really not see them.

My current habit is to get back on the treadmill. I got off of it because the sound was messed up on the tv. Now my daughter fixed it, I need to restart the habit. For that I set an alarm on my cell phone (I usually do it 7am before I have my smoothie). Yesterday, I didn't have time in the morning so I did it when I got home from work. I will have to do the same today.
    Chris
    Unknown