Page 13 of 617 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal-deMuralist page 13

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You are so right! I think I will resolve not to join the tv watching and replace it with things I actually enjoy doing. Just because others in the house waste their time that way, doesn't mean I have to right?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    You are so right! I think I will resolve not to join the tv watching and replace it with things I actually enjoy doing. Just because others in the house waste their time that way, doesn't mean I have to right?
    right on sister!!! Whoop!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

So yesterday was spent in the seemingly non-ending task of finding a home for the stuff that formerly lived in my laundry room. We also had company for dinner so I had to make a clear space for us to all sit together and eat as well as cook. I made a pumpkin soup, and while I thought it was a bit weird because mentally I think pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread when I think pumpkin, it tasted fantastic, it is a squash after all. A very low calorie, low carb, primal squash. Great way to get the sweet potato type flavor without the carbs of the sweet potato (for those of us trying to lose weight). Here is the site where I got the recipe, which I fairly closely followed...Recipe: Pumpkin Soup – Primal Fed’s Paleo Lifestyle Blog

Yesterday's food...

B: mocha, still couldn't shove in any meat-this is probably mental now, but it ain't goin in!
    L: salmon, avocado, brussel sprouts, tea with coconut milk and stevia
    D: small bowl of pumpkin soup (this stuff is rich, warming and very filling), pulled beef, tiny bit of caesar salad, and blueberries with coconut milk

thanks Karin!
    Last edited by demuralist; 10-07-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: add p.s.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Had company for cards and dinner last night. I posted the recipe for the seafood bisque I made on another thread but I want to put it here so I can find it when I want it...

In a good size pan over medium heat, melt a stick of butter, then add a 1 pound bag each of frozen scallops and small shrimp, and a can of crab meat. then add a can of coconut milk (I use Trader Joes because even though it is 'light' it only has coconut milk and water as ingredients), and 1/2C of vegetable stock and 1/2C heavy cream (if you use a full fat can of coconut milk you probably don't need this). A healthy tablespoon of old bay and simmer away, stirring occasionally, until it is all warmed up. Whole thing took about 15 minutes maybe 20. It was yummy. Very filling, doesn't take much for it to be a meal (we added a salad), and served 6 with leftovers.

We had a great time. And although I had a dessert we all decided we were too full to even consider it. Happily played cards and the girls team won, I guess that is why I can say happily.

Yesterday's food:

B: Mocha
    L: pulled pork, avocado, tea with coconut and stevia
    D: seafood bisque, caesar salad, a few grape tomatoes, and a Margarita (I know, but every once in a while, yum)
    Chris
    Unknown

Made the seafood bisque...SO GOOD!! We added some frozen peas and carrots (1c ea) and it was awesome!!! thanks for sharing the recipe.. this is a new favorite!!
    Karin

dh doesn't eat peas, but I did think about adding veggies next time I make it. I truly just put into the pot what I had in the house. did your daughter eat it as well?
    Chris
    Unknown

Mom thought green beans would have been good in it- eh. me not so much. As for my DD.. no she would not try it and since it was not a Primal night she ate yogurt and cheez-its. UGH- I DO NOT get the mom of the year award! Couldn't even get her to eat some fruit or veggies and she does not want anything to eat untl 7:30pm-ish. Her grandmother, who is also primal like me is concerned if I force her to lose the crap too fast she could end up with an eating disorder/binge type thing. Sooooo..we are still on MWF primal nights.
    Karin

ok, this may be the TTOM talking, but I am tired of being tired. It is not sleepy kind of tired it is I don't want to have to move tired. I am also tired about not losing any weight. To that end I am ordering the ebook version of S.P.E.E.D. (OMG not another diet book-save me!). The interesting thing about this one is that it has a ton of scientific back up, it goes after weight from 5 angles (Sleep, Psychology, Exercise, Environment, Diet) and buying the book package from them gives you a month of email consultations with the authors, and I downloaded it onto my nook in real time. I will start reading as soon as I get my work done today. I am excited!

S.P.E.E.D. - Evidence Based Weight Loss

Yesterday's food:

B: mocha, 4 eggs scrambled with heavy cream and coconut oil
    L: leftover pulled beef with a bit of the seafood bisque
    D: salad with homemade ranch, roasted veggies, chicken marsala with veggies, roast beef with horseradish sauce, 2 bites of wedding cake (cake was bland, chocolate ganache tasted like pudding, buttercream had no flavor-luckily), pumpkin mocha latte.

I added the 4 eggs this morning for 2 reasons, 1 is that I woke up late enough that it didn't feel gross to want to eat them and 2 in the hopes that I would IF lunch knowing I was going to eat dinner at a wedding reception. So really all it did was to add that many calories to my day. The eggs did not keep me from getting hungry for lunch, in fact I got hungry at 5 hours out instead of my typical 7 hours.

I am essentially done with the Leptin Reset (sad because I like the thread and the support of the people on it), and switching gears to the SPEED book. It looks likely that I will still be able to follow my 5 rules, with modifications and the authors are paleo/primal supportive (otherwise I wouldn't do it, cause the thing I truly believe is that primal is the healthy way to live)

As an aside, my dh has lost some weight in the past month or so, he had been stuck at a plateau for over a year, he chalks one up to perserverance, I chalk it up to the fact that he is unwittingly/unknowingly following Primal at least 80% of the time!
    Chris
    Unknown

Let me know what you think of the book as you get into it. I am checking out the website.
    Karin

Gosh I love the convenience of an ereader! Actually it is a .pdf so I have a copy on my computer and then copied it onto my nook.

I have read a good deal of the book and I will say that there is not too much I didn't already know, although I never really put it all together as a weight loss plan. The book mentions a support group, but I didn't want to stop reading to check it out and now I can't find it, so I will reread at least once! The great thing about it is if they say something they cite the source. If there isn't a source or it is of dubious scientific quality they state that up front. the authors are basically trainers and were surprised to find out how little exercise matters in the weight loss equation.

I am instituting it as I read it.

Sleep=So that means I need to start being in bed by 9:30 or plan for a nap!

Psychology= is about setting goals and how to do it effectively.

Exercise=about the most effective exercise

Environment= how to set up where you eat and who you eat with to get the best results

Diet= (I am in the middle of this chapter now) is a reasonably low carb (50g to 100g), moderate protein (depends on your weight which you multiply by .68 for me that would be 180g which does not seem moderate and high fat. Generally equally split between 3 or 4 meals.

They also go into keeping measurements (according to them the arm is measured just below the shoulder muscle and the thigh is measured where your middle finger ends as your arm hangs by your side.)

All in all excellent information, I could probably have put together without the $20 spent, but buying from them also gives me a month worth of free consulations via email, so if I am not getting results I can go to the authors and find out what they think is the issue! To me that is probably worth the $20.
    Chris
    Unknown