Thread: New guy to the Primal Diet! Buffalo, NY. page

LTBarganier is offline Junior Member

Talking New guy to the Primal Diet! Buffalo, NY.

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

My name is Alex, excited to be here! Today I decided to start dieting to drop some body fat to become more toned and make myself lighter for the upcoming climbing season (I love to boulder!). My friend who is pretty toned told me about the primal diet so I'm going to give it a shot!

My main goal is to lose 10 pounds, about 3% body fat, and make myself more toned (including letting that 6-pack shine through). I'm also intrigued by the lifestyle. I have been doing consistent core and abdominal workouts for almost 2 years now and I still don't have a 6 pack. It's time to change my life and take grains out of my diet to become healthier all around!

Here is a picture of me (taken today) at 175lbs, 5'11'', 15-16% body fat (approx.)

Picture: http://i.imgur.com/mXuer.jpg

Today I went to the store and bought bell peppers, natural turkey burgers, cucumbers, walnuts, almonds, celery, blackberries, blueberries, and chicken breast, and sugar peas (I think that's what they're called? lol) . My meals were something like this.

Breakfast:
    3 eggs, 1 banana, 1 bell pepper, handful of walnuts.

Lunch:
    3, 1/4 lb turkey burgers (28g protein each, 97% lean), the whole box of blackberries (maybe 1 cup worth), 1/2 a cucumber

Dinner:
    3, 1/4 lb turkey burgers, handful of blueberries, 1 bell pepper, 2 handfuls of walnuts, a bunch of celery.

I also drank around 2 gallons of water throughout the day, ran 2 miles, did a core workout, and some stretching.

Since I'm new to this diet I'm really not sure if my diet plan that I went with for today is on track. Can anybody give me some insight on how I did?

I'm very excited for this diet! I called my mom all excited and now she is interested in trying it
    Last edited by LTBarganier; 08-19-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Alex! I'd go easier on the fruit. Berries are good fruit but that's really too much fructose, which goes straight to fat.

Ground turkey is fine. I'd emphasize beef but turkey is ok too.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Welcome Alex! I'd go easier on the fruit. Berries are good fruit but that's really too much fructose, which goes straight to fat.

Ground turkey is fine. I'd emphasize beef but turkey is ok too.
    Should one consider keeping fruits to be almost sort of a "treat" in their diet? As in only have it sparingly and with caution?

Other than the fruit, is my balance of nuts, meat, and veggies ok? Should I beat eating more of anything?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Welcome neighbor! I'm in the Corning/Elmira area.

Personally, I'd say not too worry too much about fruit and whatnot just yet, until you're consistently grain-free and eating only Primal foods. If you don't see any changes with just doing that, or you hit a plateau, or gain then I would consider tweaking the diet further. One step at a time, in my opinion.

Foods look good. Don't be afraid of red meat and fat, unless you really like turkey burgers in which case no harm there either. It takes a little while but you'll find your groove, what foods you like and don't, and how much is too much or not enough. It just takes time and well... practice.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If I were eating that I'd be really hungry because of the lack of fat. You might be different, but keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    If I were eating that I'd be really hungry because of the lack of fat. You might be different, but keep that in mind.
    I am a fiend for turkey, I absolutely love it. I know what you are saying with the fat though. I wasn't that hungry since I had almost 1 pound of turkey, but I should probably incorporate some more fat in there. Maybe cooking it in a little olive oil? Or also having an egg for dinner?

So today's my second day. Breakfast was 1 cucumber, walnuts, almonds, and 4 eggs. Is 4 eggs too many? I am also considering throwing an egg into my dinner (Which will be the same as yesterday's), but that would be 5 eggs total for the day. Would 5 eggs a day be too much? I still had some fruit with breakfast (maybe 1/4 cup of blueberries) but I decreased the amount. What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the help, I am already starting to feel awesome a little bit!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTBarganier View Post
    Should one consider keeping fruits to be almost sort of a "treat" in their diet? As in only have it sparingly and with caution?

Other than the fruit, is my balance of nuts, meat, and veggies ok? Should I beat eating more of anything?
    Many of us eat some berries every day, but usually just a few once a day. Berries are excellent. You don't need to reserve them for a treat. Bananas, on the other hand, maybe should be reserved for days when you are doing some bouldering or other heavy exercise.

Veg is controversial. Some of us eat lots, other few or none. If you cut back on fruit, I would say you would need more veg. You need to find out what works for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My comment would be that your protein intake seems high; from what you posted it was about 190g in one day? I would personally look at substituting more fats and veggies.