Thread: Oils to sear with - high smoke point (SP) page

g2baker is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Avocado: Monounsaturated, 520 SP

Extra Light Olive: Monounsaturated, 468 SP

Walnut: Monounsaturated, 400 SP

Macadamia: Monounsaturated, 390 SP

At first glance Avocado might be my first choice, but Extra Light Olive Oil is less expensive. I would like to cook with saturated fats but it appears to have a lower smoking point:

Palm: 446

Ghee: 375-486 (depending on clarity)

Lard: 370

Butter: 350

Coconut: 350

I've seared with Coconut oil and it started smoking before I could get the meat seared properly. So, with your advice, what do you think I should get: Avocado, Extra light olive oil, or Palm oil? Anyone out there have experience with this and could you share what worked best for you?

I really want to get some good browning on a roast that I'm making, not wanting to cook the meet, just to sear it.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

When I bought a bottle of Avocado oil, it said right on the bottle that you shouldn't heat the oil AT ALL! It's for use in salads.

I would say your best bet would be to go with Tallow (Beef fat). I believe it's the safest form of fat when you need to either sear something or even deep fry.

Thanks CC - I purchased some Avocado oil today while out at the store. The bottle states that it's use is for high heat. I don't have any tallow, it's harder to find. I'm ready to make some after the holidays, I've never done it before. But for now, I'll try the Avocado. I'm curious what others have found useful for searing. Now I'm going to want to test, avocado vs. light olive oil.

BTW - The smoking point of tallow is 420. I'm really trying to almost char - just shy of charring - the outside of my roast.

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

I sear a lot with lard, olive oil, or meat drippings. Just be sure not to char too much - over cooked meat can be bad for you.

I ended up using Avocado oil. It was great! The meat got really "caramelized" and by the time I was done cooking the oil was still clear. Yea!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Me thinks you think too much.

First, why are you "searing?"

Second, if you are referring to how to prepare meat in dry heat, why is this a concern?

Third, if you are referring to stove top grilled meat prep, why aren't you just using a ribbed pan? It does a great job of simulating a real grill.

Forget the oils, Just Do It.

When cooking Chuck it has connective tissue that doesn't break down until it reaches an internal temperature 160 degrees. The best way to cook Chuck (a tough meet is to use moist heat). There are two ways to cook meet, dry heat and moist heat. Dry heat is great for steaks that are not tough. And I do use a cast iron ribbed skillet for Ribeye, (BTW dry heat is best for meat that have fat in it). Once I went Primal I purchased a book entitled The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly. There was a recipe for Chuck roast which calls for browning. Browning? When cooking this way you can make an awesome gravy because you have all those liquids. Browning intensifies the flavors. I cooked this roast the other day and used bacon fat. The fat started smoking before I could get the browning done. Hence, my post. And yes, how could you tell I think too much? But I'm loving cooking Primal! And I really wanted the roast to be perfect! There was a sale on grass fed beef so I had to pick it up! And I loved the fact that the avocado oil didn't smoke, reducing the free radicals of the oil. So there you go, my quest to be extremely primal healthy.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

I would think (Well Clarified) Ghee would have done the job as well. But experiment is required. If clarification of ghee is suspect just leave it to smoke a bit. Ghee was prepared traditionally by heating it for a long time.