Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt: how important is it to avoid? page

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member

Salt: how important is it to avoid?

I think it might be "stalling me out" on my weight loss. Are there specific reasons for this, other than water retention?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don't know for sure, but unless you're dousing tons of salt on everything you eat I can't see it causing that much water retention.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Probably not important at all, assuming you use a normal amount - and since on PB you are not eating processed foods, I highly doubt you are using too much.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    Eating a lot of salt can contribute to a lot of health issues.

But, I feel that you need to pick your battles.

When I was 80+ pounds overweight, just diagnosed as type ii diabetic, I made the decision to get myself healthy.

I dropped about 50 pounds so far... and I AM "dousing tons of salt on EVERYTHING I eat."

I gave up grains, I gave up most processed foods, I gave up everything with added sugar, I gave up all beverages with any calories of any kind completely.

I dropped 50 pounds, took my A1C down to 5.4 from 7.5. I am excersising my butt off.

And I am eating salt... Lots of it... I like it... It's one of my few remaining "vices".

After I hit my weight and fitness goals, I will consider reducing the sodium. Maybe not... But for right now, the excess salt that I am ingesting is so far off the scales of the other health issues I am combating, it is not worth me giving any thought to.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I'm a salty! I like salt in everything - even tea (no shit. I hate bland food!)

I've been thinking on trying to reduce it... I don't know if I will, though.

MetalMayhem is offline Member
    Well too little salt can be dangerous "too" (I say too because many high salt studies about it's risk are bull) but I can't reduce it. Honestly it's what makes my primal foods taste good, and wouldn't really want to eat them w/out. I love my eggs, steak, and sweet potatoes all with generous amounts of salt. (and other veggies) BUT, since I use a fair amount, I use a "light" salt with 50% potassium, because I figure I get less sodium and I probably won't get too much potassium. However if it's hot and I'm outside sweating a decent amount I use real salt because I figure I need it. (Your body DOES need salt, and the iodine in it, especially with sweating) However, If you have problems with cramping etc that reducing sodium seems to solve, then maybe you should eat less.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    I use salt. Celtic sea salt (it's grey) and Himalayan salt (it's pink). That way I can get healthy minerals with it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    According to Jillian Micahel's one pickle is enough to retain 2 lbs of water. Honestly, though, if you continue losing, water retention can only mask your loses that far.

The good reason to drop salt is health-related, hyper-tension and all. Whole foods authors and Paleo authors are in favor of not using salt. Salt is added to pretty much anything that passes through human hands on the way to the grocery store, it is naturally high in sea food. Frankly, I doubt any of us is short on salt even if we are never touching the shaker.

I try to shhot for middle ground - I only put salt on if I find the food too bland without. A lot of foods actually do not need salt. I was heaving a lovely New York stake yesterday, and was surprised how good it tasted au naturel. Eggs is another food that do not need any salt if I forget my conditioned responce to salt them....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    According to Jillian Micahel's one pickle is enough to retain 2 lbs of water.
    Umm yeah................. I'll just add that to my list of reasons to think she is a dumbass. Just my opinion.

I track calories/stuff every now and again. The last time I tracked I was eating about 5,000g of sodium/day because I salt a lot of stuff (iodized sea salt). It didn't/doesn't hinder any fat loss for me. AND, I am still alive and no pickle's worth of water hanging on.

You know, I looked for info on the iodine content of those salts and couldn't find anything. And here, Dr. Eades says it has it in it. I need iodine for thyroid health (it works, I swear) so I will just use this stuff instead of the processed crap that I buy (as mentioned above in this post).
    Thanks yodie!!!
    Last edited by IcarianVX; 08-19-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast