Thread: so I'm NEW... page

Monika is offline Member

so I'm NEW...

Hi there everyone...I am completely new to this site and I've been reading and reading...and reading. I am on day one of my PRIMAL conversion (cutting carbs down-grains). I was a traditional oatmeal girl, and today I didn't have any but I feel ok. I do like to eat dairy, and what I mean by that is greek yogurt . I would imagine that will need to be cut out also? I just keep thinking "hunter-gatherer"....and hoping it will help guide me....except for the dairy right now..I would appreciate any advice, links to posts, ideas....anything you think might be helpful including constructive criticism I would welcome! I'm going to learn how to navigate around here so have a little patience with me. I was inspired by a girl on My Fitness Pal who said she just stopped counting calories and ate Primal and she saw a big difference in her body structure and her weight also.....and I really like that ..I was counting calories to get my weight down and body fat % lower, but it turns out....maybe I was on the wrong path?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this...

croí is offline Senior Member
    Hi there and welcome! I suggest getting the Primal Blueprint Book as a start. Really any book store, or amazon has it. OR go to MDA's home page and click on the START HERE button. It will give you a lot of the info for free.

Greek Yogurt is ok. You may have to moderate the consumtion though, depending on how you're body handles dairy.
    Last edited by croí; 08-19-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Monika is offline Member
    Croi~ thank you for the reply, and I will go and get the book today. I was beginning to think nobody saw me in here...

btw...my body handles dairy with no issues...thank goodness...or did you mean otherwise? Jeeze...I'm still trying to figure out what "CW" is?

A lot of people feel that eating full fat Greek yogurt, cream, butter, and some hard cheeses are perfectly fine. As said, depends if you are sensitive to dairy or not.

Stay away from skim milk, etc.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    and what I mean by that is greek yogurt .
    Hi Monika. You're probably okay keeping it. Get the full fat kind, and you're better off buying plain and putting your own fruit in it (if that's how you like it) so you can control the sugar. Butter and cream are fine too. Dairy is one of those things where if your stomach can handle it, fine, if not, then lose it. If you're trying to lose weight, dairy may stall you, but it may not. You'll have to play around with it and see what happens, but there's nothing inherently bad about it. Good luck!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Monika! +1 on the yogurt. Don't ditch anything until you know you need to. ;-)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

shifty1 is offline Senior Member
    I dont think I could survive if I ditched dairy... A tub of cottage cheese is a saving grace in my case.
    Totally check out the book, stick with it, and you will go far. Its not as hard as one thinks, although there are times where you will be tested!

I have kept a record of my travels over the last 50 days, so check it out and it may help you over some of the hurdles I faced when starting out...

Grok on...

-Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Starting weight - 2.11.13 - 96 kg
    Starting measurement - waist - 116cm
    Numbers change every 50 days

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monika View Post
    Jeeze...I'm still trying to figure out what "CW" is?

CW refers to 'conventional wisdom'. Like needing to count calories, eat low fat, and exercise at least an hour a day to lose weight. I call bullshit on that
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

croí is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Monika View Post
    Croi~ thank you for the reply, and I will go and get the book today. I was beginning to think nobody saw me in here...

btw...my body handles dairy with no issues...thank goodness...or did you mean otherwise? Jeeze...I'm still trying to figure out what "CW" is?
    CW = Cenventional Wisdom... i.e. - You must eat Whole Grains to get your daily carbs in take. Low Fat / Sugar Free food is fine.. That type of thing.

I know when I eat too much cheese or greek yogurt, I get kinda gassy. So, I tend to stay away from dairy products.