Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Cyclo-crossers? page

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member

Any Cyclo-crossers?

Primal Fuel
    It seems a bit like mud racing meets crossfit for cyclists.

How on earth do you get into it? How do you figure out when you're at some sort of minimal level of fitness to have a crack at a competition? Do they have categories for newbies and old ladies?

I'm just about to get a new Cyclocross bike for genteel offroad touring and so checked out the videos on cyclocross and thought... that looks FUN !!!! Hard yakka but awesome!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

urbansix is offline Member
    Is this the one where they ride (what look like) road bikes on muddy trails, jump off and run/carry the bikes when the trail becomes un-bike-able? I used to see that on TV a lot when I was a kid in Switzerland. I always assumed it must have been supplanted by mountain-biking starting in the late '80's.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    hell no, it's actually getting big here in the states. Well, not as big as in Europe, but growing. I have participated in lots of cx races. Here in TX, they usu aren't mudfests, that's more likely found on the East Coast or PacNW. I don't know anything about cycling in Australia, but if you go thru your local bike shop, I am sure they can hook you up with local race schedules, etc. There may just be a cx race near you!

OMG cx is hard. Basically you're anaerobic for 45 minutes. The forced dismounts will really make your heartrate spike. And honestly, i can't help sometimes giggling during the races (the more casual weekday ones, especially) b/c it's just hard and crazy. Usually at halloween there will be a costumed race. My costume is carmen miranda, i can't wait to wear it this year!

The races are on a short track so it's spectator friendly and you will get heckled frequently. Cowbells will be ringing. Hopefully there will be beer. CX is fun! And it really hurts if you're doing it right.

Yes there are categories for newbs & old ladies! Actually in the ones I've done, they just put all the ladies together. And sometimes even that's not a very big group. Lots of ladies just race with the guys b/c it's more fun; at least you're not out there just riding by yourself.

good choice to buy a cx bike - it's a very versatile bike. You can ride on pavement or offroad. Have fun & i hope you find a race near you!

oh and one more thing - the "newb" category for men - it's always chock full of sandbaggers who don't want to move up to the next class.

Thanks Catherine that sounds cool! DUnno about the heckling bit ha ha.... but hey I won't take myself too seriously! I think my biggest fear is looking like a git for having such an awesome bike and being such a noob.... "all the gear and no idea" ... that and scratching my baby's paintwork... bruises heal, scratches don't....

I found a company running CX in Victoria which is a bit of a distance from me but we could possibly dump the kids on the inlaws for a weekend and go have a go. Now DH says he's going to need a new bike too....
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

when i say "heckling", it's all in jest. I don't know if you've ever done any bike races. When i first watched one, i thought it was kinda mean to yell "go" and "get up there" and all that to the racers - it looked like they were suffering so bad. Once i did a race, i realized that when you're suffering like that, it's actually kinda nice to hear a voice acknowledging your endeavors! It's not negative. In our little circle here, we just call it 'heckling' but we mean 'cheering'.

anyway -- i did remember that depending on the type of race (div1 or div2) there might be 2 women's classes, an "A" or a "B". A is supposed to be for the pro/elite/ridiculously fast and B for everyone else. However, it all just depends on who shows up.

I haven't done any "real" cx races in a long time b/c they are usu a long haul to to get to. However, in Sept & Oct, we have casual weekly mass start cx races in town, which are pretty much just offroad short track (i'm gonna do them on my mtb). The mass starts are way more fun!

and don't worry about "all flash & no dash" - that's pretty much most cyclists that i know! My bike is way better than i am!

that's awesome you found some races - def a good idea to have a weekend at it. I hope you have fun. I think you will. Let me know how it goes!

rolfdevinci is offline Member
    CX rocks! The traditional cross season is Fall/early winter and is a great way to extend your bike fitness into the offseason. Usually shorter in duration it is the road bike version of short track racing complete with barricades, obstacles and mud(if you are lucky).

Because it is usually set up to race on a loop(or some variation) it is spectator friendly as you end up with cyclists all over the course as the race progresses. Fast, fun and furious it is great to watch. Hereabouts we have a cross series followed by the Provincials and numbers are growing each year as popularity of cross racing is having a rennaissance.

Cross bikes are so versatile...I am trying to figure out how to purchase one without my spouse noticing(wink) another bike in the basement. You can use them for cross, commuting, road cycling, dirt roads and groomed trail. Good choice. Definitely try a CX race. We usually have mass starts with all contestants on the course at the same time - the faster riders have to contend with the slower which adds another element to the race. I raced it last season on my hardtail MTB and it was a maxed out, red lined, crazy fun time. Here are some pics to stoke your competitive fire........ good luck and good crossing!

Rolf Devinci Cycling: Anatomy Of A Cyclocross Corner

Just updating to add that I now have my awesome new Merida Cyclocross bike and it is BRILLIANT. OMG so, so fast! So easy to ride! I love it to pieces. I'm grumpy thisafternoon because I haven't been out on it today. It totally rocks. Gear changes are so smooth. Easy to pedal. Did I say fast? really, really fast. Light. The brakes on the top of the headset are great, allows me to change position a lot more for comfort on the road. And it looks gorgeous.

gingernut is offline Senior Member
    How weird...I just read about cx on a tri shop website last night, while looking for a wetsuit for an open water swim I'm doing next month, and thought it sounded like fun and then came on here and saw this post this morning! Am going to look into it more now. Am also planning to get a new bike soon so will have a look at cross bikes.

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    as a lifelong cyclist: road and mountain biking, part of me doesn't quite get cyclocross. I like doing one or the other!

I am trying to figure out how to purchase one without my spouse noticing(wink) another bike
    exactly! I suppose that given the chance I would give it a crack, I have never seen it though in Japan.
    Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast