Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar makes me feel like a drug addict. page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Sugar makes me feel like a drug addict.

Seriously.

Just wanted to throw that out there, because it's true.

Yep. Just finished a big pile of homemade red curry.

Stuffed to the gills.

All I want right now? Sugar. Dammit.

greenari is offline Junior Member
    I totally agree. I have 'primers' like anything salty makes me want to eat sugar from the bag, the same way visiting their old crack house makes an addict want to ...um, eat crack from the bag...?

And one little taste is just a gateway into a giant bowl of ice cream, or the rest of the chocolate bar, or sometimes, sugar from the bag.

I also spend a lot of time thinking about sugar and how to get sugar. Oh man, anyone know the 12 steps? I think I need them.

Oh yeah. And there's the "sneaking it and pretending I'm not eating it." Then the inevitable guilt trip. It's ridiculous.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenari View Post
    I totally agree. I have 'primers' like anything salty makes me want to eat sugar from the bag, the same way visiting their old crack house makes an addict want to ...um, eat crack from the bag...?

And one little taste is just a gateway into a giant bowl of ice cream, or the rest of the chocolate bar, or sometimes, sugar from the bag.

I also spend a lot of time thinking about sugar and how to get sugar. Oh man, anyone know the 12 steps? I think I need them.
    Describes perfectly how I feel a lot of the time. It's hard to think rationally and make smart food/diet choices sometimes when the prospect of SUGAR is sitting right in front of you.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenari View Post
    +1 million.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I am fortunate that I'm not a sugar addict, but I live with one, and I really can see how much like a drug addiction it is. I watch him sometimes pour a tablespoon or two of maple syrup and eat it straight, search the freezer to see if there's any chocolate, and so on, even after a full meal. Withdrawal makes him super cranky too--he gave up sweets for Lent (not baking, just chocolate and such), and he was miserable.

I came across this post today and am going to suggest we give it a go. I'm not so worried since a kilo of honey will last me a year, but for his sake, we might just have to get it out of the house completely.

How to dump sugar… for good :: stumptuous.com
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Julia Ross calls sugar a drug, not a food. I agree. It IS a drug. Not that drugs=bad necessarily, but I think the paleo view that we didn't have sugar in our paleolithic environment is spot on. Unless you found a beehive, you were pretty much stuck with fruit and tubers. And how often did you find a hive? Certainly not every day at EVERY meal, for 300-500g odd of carbs like we do today on the SAD. Sugar is pretty much a super-ultra-concentrated plant extract. Like cocaine.

Some people do seem to be wired more for fatty/salty food. I know my mom isn't much a sweet freak, her big thing is salty stuff. I have another friend who's indifferent to sweets, but can't shake the potato chips and pretzels. But I've always been a sugar addict myself. What gets me is that I was hooked at age TWO. Which is a damn long time to be an addict, given that I'm 31 now. But we do give little kids sugar in this society. It's kind of scary.

My dad and many of my relatives seem to go for the sweets whenever they periodically quit drinking. I've often felt like an alcoholic myself... I don't drink and never have. But it's like I was the drunkest sober person on earth. Sugar literally made me feel drunk off my face. And made me act accordingly.

Postscript would be to this, I suppose, that I have other friends who quit hard drugs- mostly the big popular combo of alcohol/cocaine- and promptly became sugar addicts. But many of them are okay with this, after all, no one is going to arrest you for sugar possession. It's legal. I guess it's better than being on illegal drugs. But I've felt a hell of a lot better, healthier, thinner, saner, less crazy, etc since I quit that nasty shit.

Granted, caffeine is my favorite drug ever and I have no desire to give it up. Caffeine is totally a drug. I don't care.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Reading this as I eat a soft choc........NEVERMIND! You all don't need the visual! I have the same bloody problem. As soon as the seed is planted in my head, such as when I'm getting groceries and I *SEE* a bag of rippled chips that go oh-so-well with Philly's cream cheese onion dip, I HAVE TO have it. And then I eat almost the whole bag/container! It's ridiculous!!

I swear my eyes and tongue are in cahoots and my brain has NO SAY whatsoever. It's sooooooo frustrating. My belly is growing again, and I'm not pregnant!! UGH!

Calibunny is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am a life-time sugar addict as well. The only thing that has gotten the sugar demon off my back is EFT and the Whole 30. When i was on regular PB, I was feeling better but still eating too much fruit, so my weight loss stopped. When you are an addict, you can't just have one small piece of whatever and then call it a day. you will want MORE and then before you know it, you're binging. So i knew i had to say goodbye to my "frenemy" sugar. Now that it's out of my system, i can eat a meal and not even think about having dessert. When i eat fruit now, its almost TOO SWEET! so i'm happy with just a small amount. YES, it's inconvenient, since you can't just go out to restaurants like a normal person. But i'm saving lots of money by doing my own cooking. Don't give up people, if i can overcome my 50 yr old addiction, anyone can!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast