Thread: YAY, Am converting a friend... page

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

Shop Now

and it looks like it is working, albeit slowly.

I gave her a copy of Good Calories Bad Calories without any intro (I feel the moment I open my mouth to preach about diet, people shut down). So lately I just wait for the question to come my way when they ask about why I eat how I eat. And it seems to be much more effective, particularly if you talk like this is regular stuff, not some new radical idea. People like regular (o_O)

Anyway, I noticed she's buying more eggs and asked me how do I prepare them for breakfast. Yesterday we made dinner that did not involve pasta, rice or bread; without any comment from me. Then SHE started talking to me about how eggs are not so bad and that avoiding cholesterol isn't effective. Apparently she did start reading the book! I wanted to do a happy dance but I sat there and nodded my head in the "of course, of course" calm way.

She still eats bread and said it's too hard to give up. I told her that's ok as long it's a small portion. I think baby steps and encouragement of any positive change is going to help much more than pointing out the "wrong" stuff she's doing. What do you guys think?

This is how I got my brother, sister and father started. I left copies "Life without Bread" and GCBC at home when I visited a while back, just saying great books if you guys ever have the time. Took half a year till I got the first response from my sister. My Dad? Almost a year and half later.

No one else would get my excitement so I just wanted to share with you guys

go_ginger_go Guest

Hooray!

I converted a friend too.

I agree that baby steps are best. This is a huge paradigm shift, and people come to such things slowly, incrementally, not the first time you talk to them about the concept. You're just planting the seed.

I had been talking to my friend about the hunter/gatherer concept for a while, but when he saw pictures of Mark he was immediately in. Now he is frustrated that his mother won't read the book he leaves conspicuously laying out.

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

He has to hang in there. My Dad called maybe more than a year later saying "Remember that book you left..." and just went on and on about it

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Wow! That is happy news I wish my in-laws would at least take a look at the bandwagon...they're at least 2 miles from jumping on.

I too have a friend that is not afraid of fat and loves real food, and recently started having her grains as a side rather than a focal point to her meals. And sometimes doesn't have them at all! She's very much an "all things in moderation" type though, so I doubt she'd ever ditch the grains and sugar entirely. But still, she lets me be myself 100%, and is always incredibly happy when I go visit because she has an excuse to make bacon for breakfast

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

I was at a mother-daughter dinner party last night and the main course was...lasagne. Sigh. So, I had my big bowl of salad (luckily that was the side dish)and,of course, someone asked why I was not having the lasagne. I explained the whole gluten-free thing (I have been doing that longer and find that people are more receptive to it than primal eating right now). Anyway, I couldn't believe the response! Everyone was asking about it. One mother said several times she was going to call me later and find out more. There were a couple of dissenters who wondered how I lived without bread, but otherwise, the little group was very interested. I mentioned a little about the evolution - grain connection but didn't harp on it. I find people are more receptive if I hold back on the info a bit.

Luckily, I had brought an almond flour dessert (Elana's raspberry bars) that was not totally primal, but passable. They raved about that and couldn't believe it was almond flour and very little sugar. All the other desserts were flour monsters. Ugh.

When I got home, I had a leftover burger (grass-fed beef of course).