Thread: Fitness Plateau Observation page

gunnk is offline Senior Member

Fitness Plateau Observation

Shop Now
    Hi folks --

I've noticed something and wanted to see if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

Since going primal I've found getting in shape to be trivially easy. Aside from the change in diet I also added a few lifts every day or two with a kettlebell. Nothing special, just a minute or two of lifts however I felt inclined in the morning before work.

For the past few weeks, though, my schedule has been really hectic in the mornings, so the kettlebell has been neglected. I'm still doing my occasional evening run, just missing the 1-2 minutes of lifting in the mornings. My fitness progress has STOPPED COLD. Is that little bit of daily "lift heavy things" really THAT important? It appears to me that it is, but that's a pretty amazing thing if it's true!

What have you guys found? Am I an outlier or is this true for you?
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

befitby40 is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean by, "My fitness progress"?

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    I mean that I was rapidly losing body fat and gaining muscle. Now, without lifting I don't expect to gain muscle, but the absolute stop in body fat reduction surprised me since I only lost 10-15 minutes of activity per WEEK.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    The effort it takes for your body to build new muscle equals extra base calorie burn. Or so I hear.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    You may have stopped the physical regimen at about the same time that the easy gains from going Primal ended. There's also the novice effect, in which someone who is untrained improves rapidly and quickly gains weight under a caloric excess (or being overweight). It's probably a combination of the two.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If you are lifting really heavy things then you will not be able to do it more than a couple of times per week. Lift harder.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnk View Post
    For the past few weeks, though, my schedule has been really hectic in the mornings, so the kettlebell has been neglected. I'm still doing my occasional evening run, just missing the 1-2 minutes of lifting in the mornings. My fitness progress has STOPPED COLD. Is that little bit of daily "lift heavy things" really THAT important? It appears to me that it is, but that's a pretty amazing thing if it's true!

What have you guys found? Am I an outlier or is this true for you?
    Lifting heavy things is the only part of your workout routine that's actually helping improve your fitness. Look into the cori cycle and lactate threshold.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    If you are lifting really heavy things then you will not be able to do it more than a couple of times per week. Lift harder.
    Novices can train 3x a week and sustain progress every workout. Usually, intermediate and advanced lifters increase volume, not decrease it. Rippetoe, Wendler, Broz all tell their clients to lift at least 3x a week, and do the same themselves. They're not wimpy weights, either....

@js290 I suspect the OP is using the word "fitness" to describe body comp; at least that's what I gathered from his follow-on post. Though if he's talking about actual physical ability, then yeah only actual work will provide progress