Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused About Cholesterol Numbers: Help!! page

Primal Woman is offline Junior Member

Confused About Cholesterol Numbers: Help!!

Shop Now
    Hello!

I just got my cholesterol numbers today and I was somewhat alarmed. I'm 31 years old, about 5'6", and I weigh about 125 pounds, if any of that matters. I was on a raw diet (raw veggies and fish) for a few months before returning to the paleo diet. I'm a little concerned that I'm consuming too much fat, although the fat I consume is very healthy: animal fats, olive oil, virgin coconut oil, etc.

Will someone please help me understand what these numbers mean and whether I need more protein, fat, OR carbs? I'm very confused.

Trig -- 45
    Cholesterol -- 250
    HDL -- 52
    LDL -- 189, Calculated

I don't eat a lot of carbs to begin with, and I don't eat much sugar. I don't eat grains. I eat mostly red meat, eggs, butter, & low-carb veggies.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
    http://modernpaleowoman.blogspot.com
    where a modern mom re-discovers the paleo way of eating so as to balance mind, body, & spirit

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Your trigs are very low so your LDL is skewed very high. Check out this link to interpret your results:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

First, calculate your LDL based on the Iranian method. It's likely much more accurate and will drop it significantly. Then, check your ratios. The ratios are far more important. The total number is pretty meaningless. Third, if you still feel uncomfortable, get VAP test. With low trigs, you may have mostly Pattern A LDL. I am a little concerned about your low HDL's, however. I would like to see them in the 80's or 90's. However, a transformation doesn't happen overnight. Do you have cholesterol numbers from when you were on a raw food diet?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Like Choc says in order to alleviate concerns get yourself a VAP test. Your Trigs are too low for the calulations to work as they should. Get yourself a CRP while you are at it. I don't know why doctors don't use these two tests more often. I think they show a much better picture of heart disease then any others. VAP shows actual cholesterol content and CRP shows bodily inflammation.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    Like Choc says in order to alleviate concerns get yourself a VAP test. Your Trigs are too low for the calulations to work as they should. Get yourself a CRP while you are at it. I don't know why doctors don't use these two tests more often. I think they show a much better picture of heart disease then any others. VAP shows actual cholesterol content and CRP shows bodily inflammation.
    Honestly, most doctors can't even read a standard cholesterol test. They just look at the total and LDL and prescribe whatever drug they're currently peddling if your number is higher than what the drug company says it should be. They barely even look at your HDL, which is way more telling than LDL or your total. Adding a CRP or VAP would only confuse them even further. It's really sad state of affairs isn't it? It disgusts me.

The voicemail after my cholesterol test that the receptionist left me was hilarious. My HDL was 95 and my total was 242, but my trigs were 40 so my 137 LDL was obviously skewed way high. The voicemail basically said, "Your tests look great, but your cholesterol was a little high. We're not concerned because your HDL is so high, but just remember to keep eating a diet low in saturated fats and continue to exercise. If you would like a followup appointment please call us."

I didn't schedule a followup.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-19-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Remember, all of the studies showing correlation between high total cholesterol or high LDL and disease have been performed on people eating the standard inflammatory diet. The major benefit of statins is thought to be in reducing inflammation. This means the lipids are irrelevant. You are on the right track with your diet. Get your hs-crp measured next time to see if you have any problem with inflammation
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    You need to find out if that LDL is large fluffy (good) or small dense ( bad). Your trots are great, your HDL could be higher.

An alternative to the VAP is the NMR lipoProtein test which directly measures the composition of your hood. If it turns out you have very high small particle LDL there may be something going on with your liver.

Hi, thank you everyone! I am just wondering ... what does HDL signify? What should I be eating more of to up my number there?
    where a modern mom re-discovers the paleo way of eating so as to balance mind, body, & spirit

I have a feeling, btw, that my return to the paleo diet will really really help me with these numbers. I was eating too little fat and protein for my body type for too long ... now I'm eating plenty of butter, animal fats, eggs, raw goat's milk yogurt, broth, meats, etc. I'm thinking of testing again in another month or two, and hopefully by then my numbers will be better.

ChocoTaco, I hope I have pattern A! Either way, I'm on a mission now .

kyk0 is offline Junior Member
    Hi, just wondering if you had any updates? I have pretty much the same exact numbers (except that my trigs are 62, the others are all virtually identical).

Was curious if your LDL went down with time (I've only been paleo for 8 weeks).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast