Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsalted Cashews page

nitrofish1 is offline Member

Unsalted Cashews

Shop Now
    Ok so I looked high and low for unsalted cashews in my area. Ended up ordering some online, I turn the bin around and it says Ingredients: Cashews, Canola Oil. May contain wheat or soy.

Will they still be fine to eat? I ordered 4 pounds of the things :/

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Definitely practice moderation with them. Maybe consider them part of your 20% non-primal food allowance.

And what's wrong with salt, besides making cashews more addictive than heroine?

nitrofish1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    Definitely practice moderation with them. Maybe consider them part of your 20% non-primal food allowance.

And what's wrong with salt, besides making cashews more addictive than heroine?
    I guess I was just trying to go low on the salt too. I would bet that even the regular salted ones have canola oil with them as well.

So far I haven't really practiced my 20% allowance, I've just been eating meats and fruits. Except I went out and had a drink last night at the bar, but thats one drink in a span of two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrofish1 View Post
    I guess I was just trying to go low on the salt too. I would bet that even the regular salted ones have canola oil with them as well.

So far I haven't really practiced my 20% allowance, I've just been eating meats and fruits. Except I went out and had a drink last night at the bar, but thats one drink in a span of two weeks.
    I doubt there is very much canola oil in them. Cashews are pretty dense, not porous like potato chips fried in canola oil. Just eat them in moderation like all nuts, maybe eat more omega-3s too.

EDIT: Are cashews even primal in the first place? Or are they in a grey area?
    Last edited by Laconophile; 08-18-2011 at 05:09 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    EDIT: Are cashews even primal in the first place? Or are they in a grey area?
    If I remember correctly, they're just really high in carbs, even more than most nuts.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    If I remember correctly, they're just really high in carbs, even more than most nuts.
    Aren't they inedible raw though? I thought being edible raw was one of the basic litmus tests of primal food?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    They are also legumes, but that isn't automatic grounds for exclusion (see green beans). I think they're a decent option, but should be eaten in extreme moderation just like any nut due to high omega-6 content.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Unless your crazy-perfect Primal in every other aspect of your life pondering the cashews is such a minor thing you shouldn't worry about it at all. The wheat/soy warning is usually because the facility that made them also processes products that contain wheat or soy. As for the little amount of canola oil: again, a very, very, very minor thing.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Hmm...

Not sure. They're technically seeds, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    They are also legumes, but that isn't automatic grounds for exclusion (see green beans). I think they're a decent option, but should be eaten in extreme moderation just like any nut due to high omega-6 content.
    The omega-6 content in cashews isn't too bad though, is it? I'm not sure how accurate this info is, but here's what I found for omega-6 content of nuts:

Omega-6, g per 1oz : nut or seed

0.4 : macadamia nuts
    2.2 : cashews
    2.2 : hazelnuts
    3.4 : almonds
    3.8 : pistachios
    4.3 : peanuts
    5.8 : brazil nuts
    5.8 : pecans
    9.4 : pine nuts
    10.7 : walnuts
    Last edited by The Big L; 08-18-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: corrected Omega-6 value for pistachios

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast