Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: any women losing a pound (or more) a week willing to share page

any women losing a pound (or more) a week willing to share

Shop Now
    I have been doing the primal thing for a month now and have not lost any weight. I am wondering if there are any women, who are losing weight, that might be willing to share their usual meal plan. I am 5'5" and weigh in the 180s....

Prior to doing the primal thing...I was doing the primal thing (limited or no grain, 100 g of protein a day, etc)....at least food selection wise my proportions were way off....was eating way tooo many carbs (fruit is a weakness...especially summer's tropical selections) and not enough fat (barely any at all) and was always starving...at least now I am not starving and often forgo a meal because I am just not hungry....this is a nice change of pace.

I lift heavy things about two or three times a week. Walk the dog slowly almost every day for about half an hour or so. I also do cardio at the gym...but I try to keep my cardio and dog walking at 5 hours or so for the week...More than anything I do what I want to do because it is fun...swimming laps and biking, walking on the treadmill with my exercise buddies and chatting.

Am I doing something wrong...or am I healing for the first time in my life? My finger nails are growing and are strong (no breaking!)...I feel better....I appreciate your feedback and wisdom! Thanks.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Am I doing something wrong...or am I healing for the first time in my life? My finger nails are growing and are strong (no breaking!)...I feel better
    That matters for sure! Over time, I consistently lose avg 2 lbs/wk. Some weeks it's none, some weeks it's 3 or 4. Do you track your nutrients? Since you're feeling good, you're on the right track, might just be time to tweak your macro nutrients. I do really well on high fat, very low carb, protein somewhere in the middle. Everybody's different.

Are you still eating fruit, nuts, or dairy? Those are known for stalling weight loss.

rmshill is offline Junior Member
    I have been losing at least 1 lb a week. I don't eat breakfast but have coffee with cream, protein and veg for lunch (or atkins granola bar if I am on the go), if I am hungry for a snack I pick at vegetables or leftover meat, dinner is protein and veg. I stopped running last week and immediately lost 2 lbs! So for now I am not exercising. I only have 3 lbs to go. I am not like everyone on the board though, I don't eat a lot of fat, don't cook in butter, etc. Just eat a lot of meat and veggies. Oh and no nuts or fruit. I am not hungry or I would eat more! Always average under 1000 calories and use fitday.com

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm 49 and about 5'4". Started at 187 lbs. Now I'm down to 150.

My average day goes something like this:

Breakfast:
    coffee with 1 tbsp coconut milk, 1 tbsp half & half
    2 scrambled eggs w/butter
    2-3 pcs bacon

If I get bored of this breakfast, I do a protein shake with one or two scoops of vanilla protein powder (if I only do 1 scoop I add a raw egg), 1 cup water, 1 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup coconut milk.

Lunch:
    Salad with about 2 cups of mixed greens, 1/2 cup coleslaw, 1 mini cucumber, maybe some bell pepper or tomato, 1/2 an avocado and balsamic/olive oil dressing. With this I might have half a can of salmon or a whole can of tuna, a cold hamburger diced or a couple of sausages or 4-6 ounces of other meat or poultry.
    Half an apple with 1 tbsp almond butter.

Dinner:
    Repeat of lunch or a 4-6 oz helping of protein with some spinach, spaghetti squash, sweet potato, cauliflower, kale, swiss chard - whatever's handy
    1 cup of frozen berries with 1/2 cup coconut milk.

Evening:

Cup of decaf with coconut milk/cream and a square of dark chocolate.
    Last edited by belinda; 08-18-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

MetalBeth is offline Member
    Ahh, the fingernail thing! Mine have always been good but now they grow freakishly fast. Yet another benefit to going PB.

Yes, pepperoni, nuts and peanut butter were holding my progress back, so I cut them out entirely. And in place of the slow, steady cardio, you might want to try shorter (12-20 minute) HIIT workouts. Chatting is definitely not an option with those! *evil grin* I find that breaking a good sweat helps tremendously with water retention. It could be that you've lost fat, but had your fat cells fill up with water, making it seem as though you have stalled. Getting that water flushed out might just do the trick.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I'm still pretty new, having started doing this whole primal thing on April 1, but I can tell you what I've been doing. I'm 6' tall, 44 years old, and started at around 260 (not sure exactly, because I didn't weigh myself for the first couple weeks). Now I'm down to 240, so I've lost 20 lbs (or maybe a little more) in 4 1/2 months. Not exactly fast, but I am always learning and tweaking my diet. Here's what I've been doing lately:

For my drive to work, 8-9 am: Iced coffee with heavy cream and a teaspoon of raw cane sugar-my biggest treat, every day.
    Breakfast (around 9:30-10 am): 2-3 eggs with some other protein & vegetables. Today was a kale salad with sausage and eggs (Kale Salad with Warm Andouille Sausage Dressing | Paleo Spirit), so delicious! Sometimes I will have chorizo, salsa & avocado or smoked salmon, sliced tomato, onion and capers with my eggs. It's usually my biggest meal of the day.
    Lunch (around 2-3 pm): BAS with olive oil/balsamic vinegar for dressing, and more protein (grilled chicken, hamburger patty, tuna, or something leftover) and fruit for dessert.
    Dinner (around 8 pm): This is the biggest variable for me, sometimes I'm not very hungry, so I'll just have berries and yogurt or cream or coconut milk. If I'm tired, but hungry I'll pick up pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) and have them replace the noodles with vegetables. The other day I just blended up some fresh vegetables for an impromptu gazpacho. Since it's summer, I'm enjoying all the produce in season right now. A few times I've cooked a variety of vegetables-whatever looked especially fresh and delicious at my local natural foods market-and eaten them with some butter (Kerrygold! Yum!). I don't seem to want much protein later in the day, for some reason. On the weekends, when I have more time, and get to eat with my husband, I usually do cook something. I also often have a spoonful of Omega Swirl (a fish oil supplement that tastes like a smoothie) and/or a spoonful of coconut oil every evening.

There are also occasional squares of dark chocolate (Green & Black's 85% is my favorite), weekends I cook bacon and fry up a small sweet potato in the bacon fat and have that for breakfast with my eggs, and I've even been eating a little rice now and then (no more than once a week). I didn't feel well eating VLC, so I definitely have more than 50g of carbs per day. I also think, for me, varying the amount I eat day-to-day helps me lose by keeping my body guessing a little bit.

As for exercise, I mostly just walk right now. I hope to start swimming again soon, maybe after the next 20 pounds so I'm not so self-conscious in a swim suit I have also occasionally done the body weight exercises from PB Fitness, but I need to be more dedicated about that. I do tend to lift heavy things regularly between the 40 lb bags of dog food, 50 lb bags of chicken feed and scratch, and just general working around the yard and house that I do.

I hope that helps. What I have learned is that I just need to experiment and vary my routine. What works for one person may not work for another. I kept hearing "eat more fat" here in the forums, so I did. When I added up the calories, it was a whole lot more than I realized, and I was suffering from terrible carb flu, so I didn't have any energy for exercise. The scale didn't budge for several weeks. So I tracked what I was eating, reduced my intake a little, made it through the carb flu, got more energy, and the scale finally started moving down. I've slipped up a few times, and I've learned that every time I eat crap for a day I feel terrible and gain 4 pounds. It takes 4-5 days to re-lose those pounds, so slip-ups are much less frequent.
    Last edited by lucyh; 08-18-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, the fingernails, that is a really good sign that your body is being nourished and healing! I've always had strong nails, but they always have ridges. I was just noticing the other day that they are much smoother. And my hair! It is the best it's ever been, it's so soft and silky, I have actually enjoyed styling it lately rather than my usual plain & straight, or pony tail.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I have lost 1-2 lbs weekly since starting PB in early June. I find my weight can be exactly the same on the scales for 7-10 days in a row, then all of a sudden I'll drop 2 lbs overnight. So the weightloss is far more gradual and slower than other diets, buts it's more about healing your body for long-term health.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I had been eating ~80% primally for years, but was frustrated that I could never lose any weight. Once I finally started intermittent fasting (IFing), the weight just started melting off, from the very first "missed" meal. Now, I couldn't imagine my life without IF.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 08-18-2011 at 04:30 PM.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    I ate super-clean, super-healthy for two years and lost nada. I stuck at 150lbs the whole time. Pissed me off. I was also on Zone at this point, still ate oats and tofu, so not really primal.

I did Atkins for a year, lost nothing.

I basically didn't lose weight period until I started counting calories. It's just my experience, others may differ, but imo, THE deciding factor is calories in, calories out.

Granted, I think that eating primal- lower carbs, getting rid of stuff that's easy to overeat like grains, sugars, etc- helps a lot.

But honestly, I think you could eat a high carb low fat vegan diet, about as far from primal as you can get, and STILL lose weight. Just as long as you were eating less calories than you burn.

Just IMO. Some people may be able to get their calories down without counting, but I do like to count, these days. I like being 120lbs and wanna stay there. That means my ass eats 1700kcal on days I don't exercise, 1900kcal when I do. And not a hell of a lot more under any circumstances, really. The weight has stayed off for two years now.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast