Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to share PB with others without seeming obnoxious?

Hybrid View

How to share PB with others without seeming obnoxious?

Hi all,
    PB has had a really positive impact on my life. I would love to share the book, site, and ideas with others; in my workplace, especially, folks are always discussing their weight loss and exercise efforts. My boss in particular is really concerned about his weight; I overheard him saying he's planning on starting Overeaters Anonymous and doing serious carb restriction (his office is right next to mine and the walls are thin). I think PB could help him, but it's tricky to make such a personal suggestion to one's boss. Any ideas?
    thanks,
    Laura

canio6 Guest
    Lead by example. If it works for you people will ask what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Agree. And if he is very overweight I would even direct him to Dr Kruse's site.

+1. however, once they hear you did by GIVING UP GRAINS and SUGAR, ie. NO PASTA, NO BREAD, NO BISCUITS, NO COOKIES, NO CAKE, they'll probably say, "oh that's too hard".

in fact, just today on a group ride, a friend of mine who i have not seen in awhile said "you're so skinny!". Actually i felt kinda pudgy today, but that was nice to hear. And she knows exactly what i've been doing b/c i've told her about it, even tho i know it will make her faster than me! That's how much i think this way of eating is awesome - i'm willing to give away my edge to spread the word! And i'm pretty sure she'll never get on board.

it's frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    +1. however, once they hear you did by GIVING UP GRAINS and SUGAR, ie. NO PASTA, NO BREAD, NO BISCUITS, NO COOKIES, NO CAKE, they'll probably say, "oh that's too hard".

in fact, just today on a group ride, a friend of mine who i have not seen in awhile said "you're so skinny!". Actually i felt kinda pudgy today, but that was nice to hear. And she knows exactly what i've been doing b/c i've told her about it, even tho i know it will make her faster than me! That's how much i think this way of eating is awesome - i'm willing to give away my edge to spread the word! And i'm pretty sure she'll never get on board.

it's frustrating!
    Frustrating is an understatement. I've had several people ask about what I'm "taking" because I seem so much happier and energetic. I've lost weight but not an astounding amount. I'd like to be a size 8 in clothes (I'm a 12 was a 16) and it's super slow going. I tell them I'm not taking anything except a few vitamins and supplements and I've stopped eating grains, legumes and sugar. The standard response is that it would be too hard for them to give up pasta, bread, taco bell, etc. I tend to shrug and tell them that feeling like crap every waking hour was too hard for me and I had to choose which hard I wanted to live with.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    Frustrating is an understatement. I've had several people ask about what I'm "taking" because I seem so much happier and energetic. I've lost weight but not an astounding amount. I'd like to be a size 8 in clothes (I'm a 12 was a 16) and it's super slow going. I tell them I'm not taking anything except a few vitamins and supplements and I've stopped eating grains, legumes and sugar. The standard response is that it would be too hard for them to give up pasta, bread, taco bell, etc. I tend to shrug and tell them that feeling like crap every waking hour was too hard for me and I had to choose which hard I wanted to live with.
    I had the same response with a co-worker. She was complaining about walking 6+ hours that week, and being on the eliptical for another hour, but could not understand why she wasn't losing weight. When I tried to explained to her, she started to debate about Whole Wheat being the good kind of bread, and low fat / low sugar is ok. I just smile and nodded. I tried, and I wasn't going to get into a debate with someone who doesn't want to listen..

And really that's all the OP can do. Be polite, say what has been working for you. If he dismisses the idea.. so be it. All you can do is try.

While that's true my "problem" is that I just never got really fat in the first place. Just a little too much, which got me two comments about having gained weight, but not really noticably overweight yet. Then I started this paleo thing of ours.

So it's unlikely friends and family will pick up on this until maybe in 20 years or so when they notice I stayed so much younger and fitter than they have. I do tell them what I eat, but for now that just makes me weird and little else. There's still hope that seeing my abs (never had any before) during coming beach vacations might do the trick.

It's frustrating since I don't want to see them grow old and suffer and become overweight and possibly diabetic like my mother will probably soon be, but people have to want to change, otherwise it's useless (just like you can't make an alcoholic quit if he doesn't want to).

Probably I should just call myself lucky that my partner supports and lives this life style.

Point of the rant, it would be easier to convince people by example if at first I had been morbidly obese.

Quote Originally Posted by mycon View Post
    While that's true my "problem" is that I just never got really fat in the first place. Just a little too much, which got me two comments about having gained weight, but not really noticably overweight yet. Then I started this paleo thing of ours.

So it's unlikely friends and family will pick up on this until maybe in 20 years or so when they notice I stayed so much younger and fitter than they have. I do tell them what I eat, but for now that just makes me weird and little else. There's still hope that seeing my abs (never had any before) during coming beach vacations might do the trick.

It's frustrating since I don't want to see them grow old and suffer and become overweight and possibly diabetic like my mother will probably soon be, but people have to want to change, otherwise it's useless (just like you can't make an alcoholic quit if he doesn't want to).

Probably I should just call myself lucky that my partner supports and lives this life style.

Point of the rant, it would be easier to convince people by example if at first I had been morbidly obese.
    For me with those I know but haven't seen in some time, I usually get, "hey you are looking lean" or something to that effect as I have dropped over 20 lbs of fat in the last 6 months. But even better is talking to complete strangers where the subject of age comes up. That almost always leads to "you are kidding or wow!" you don't look it or seem it. Then they'll usually ask me what I do. The more interested they are, the more I'll let er rip. My goal over 20 years ago was to be "younger" at 40 than most people because I simply didn't believe that the condition most were in at that age was natural. Well here I am now pushing 50 and I'm living it.

Be the example. If even one person is inspired to change, then I've done something good for the world. In other words do your part, heart and soul and the rest will follow. It simply must.

I dunno if I were you I would probably just sent him a short email. "Hey overheard you talking about blabla and I've been experimenting with a lifestyle plan that is somewhat similar and works well with low carb. I've personally seen blabla results, here's a link and hope it helps. Cheers Laura".

Either he will look at it and it will pique his interest or it won't (or he won't look at it at all). But really whatever you do it won't be obnoxious unless you ask him about it several times imo.

Maybe mention in casual conversation how good you have been feeling. If that elicits a question as to why, give a brief answer like, "It's called the Primal Blueprint, and it's helped me lose weight without feeling hungry or deprived and it has increased my energy level." I imagine there would be a followup question. If not, drop it. It will have the boss wondering and I bet you'll be asked about it later.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.